U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 PM

796 posts, read 776,927 times

Advertisements

johngolf;I can do most anything in home repair but at my age (73) and owning a 5 year old new built home, I realize many tools/stuff I have (routers, chop saws, spray painting stuff, etc.) will never be needed as I would hire someone. Starting Wednesday I will be working on "unloading" such stuff. Many stored in large totes in the garage, so off to Goodwill

I would just like to offer another suggestion for getting rid of your tools etc. If you have a Habitat For Humanity store near you they can really use things like that - either to rehab/build homes or sell in their store. I did that one year and they really appreciated the items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 PM

17,402 posts, read 21,244,496 times
In anticipation of my retirement move to Tucson, 6 months ago, I threw out a lot of stuff, and boxed up all that I wouldn't need before I moved.

The move has been delayed and delayed, so last month, I re-opened up all those boxes, and decision time: Why did you box this or that up? Are you ever going to use it?

And? I reduced all those boxes by 1/3rd!

My big decision dilemma revolves around books. I read a good book and it becomes a best friend to me and I want to hang onto it, thinking I'll want to read it again some day! So there's boxes of boxes with markings outside To Re-Read one Day!

And then there's lots of books I've picked up, along the way, from thrift stores, so there's boxes that read: Books Never Read.

And please don't bring up buying a Kindle, unless you like slamming your head against a concrete wall!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:30 AM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In anticipation of my retirement move to Tucson, 6 months ago, I threw out a lot of stuff, and boxed up all that I wouldn't need before I moved.

The move has been delayed and delayed, so last month, I re-opened up all those boxes, and decision time: Why did you box this or that up? Are you ever going to use it?

And? I reduced all those boxes by 1/3rd!

My big decision dilemma revolves around books. I read a good book and it becomes a best friend to me and I want to hang onto it, thinking I'll want to read it again some day! So there's boxes of boxes with markings outside To Re-Read one Day!

And then there's lots of books I've picked up, along the way, from thrift stores, so there's boxes that read: Books Never Read.

And please don't bring up buying a Kindle, unless you like slamming your head against a concrete wall!
I like that our town has a fall festival & part of that is buying used books by the bag. I buy them, read them & the ones I don't mind giving up I return to the sale. I do have storage though & can do this.

When I lived in the city I either went to the library or bought books at thrift stores.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,846 times
Work clothes closet has been finished - finally! I found 2 more boxes of books in the back of the closet - I have no idea why I was even saving them - they weren't worth reading again.
Most of the art work is off the walls and packed - the place is starting to look barren.
Still sorting out paper.
Less than 2 months to go.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
I had a heart attack Wednesday and 98% blocked artery which necessitated a stent. While recovering I thought about how angry our kids would be if they had to deal with all our "stuff" in the middle of their busy lives. I'm now even more determined to get serious about this mess.
It started getting real a few years ago when we vowed to severely limit what was brought into the house and we've been good about that. Only shopping for things we absolutely need and no recreational shopping like we did years ago.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:54 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Work clothes closet has been finished - finally! I found 2 more boxes of books in the back of the closet - I have no idea why I was even saving them - they weren't worth reading again.
Most of the art work is off the walls and packed - the place is starting to look barren.
Still sorting out paper.
Less than 2 months to go.
Do you use bubble wrap to pack your art work?

Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had a heart attack Wednesday and 98% blocked artery which necessitated a stent. While recovering I thought about how angry our kids would be if they had to deal with all our "stuff" in the middle of their busy lives. I'm now even more determined to get serious about this mess.
It started getting real a few years ago when we vowed to severely limit what was brought into the house and we've been good about that. Only shopping for things we absolutely need and no recreational shopping like we did years ago.
Hope your recovery is going well.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 AM

13,043 posts, read 15,397,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man. I'm already retired, but last year I moved from a huge one-bedroom apartment to a micro apartment of about 250 square feet. In November I moved to the coast to an even smaller apartment of about 115 square feet. I thought I couldn't live with less than I had, that I'd downsized all I could. But, it's funny how you keep finding things you realized you didn't really need to keep.

I'm about to toss my box of memories. I've offered them to my daughter several times, and she's declined. Old photos, recordings and videotapes of me way back when I did radio and voiceovers and commercials - in another life. I haven't looked at any of that stuff in over 10 years. I think I'll keep one old poster and frame it. The rest is going into the dumpster.

I also am a bit of a food hoarder. I have a separate piece of furniture that I use as a pantry for canned goods. I've decided to quit storing so much food, and eat up what's in that pantry and turn it into my hardware storage, which will free up other space for things that are more important - I want to get back into hobbies and will need to store my hobby supplies.

It's a constant re-thinking and re-prioritizing of stuff. You need so much less than you think you do.

I congratulate you on getting rid of the China. I'm trying to stick to the idea of - if I haven't used it in the last year, it's outta here.
I think you should reconsider getting rid of the box of recordings, photos and video tapes. While they might not be important to your daughter now, they likely will in the future. My dad had a box of old pictures that included pictures of him in military days and also pictures of my mom (parents were divorced) and some of her family I have never met. After he died and my stepmom was in a rehab facility, we had to clean out the house and get it ready to sell. We couldn't find the pictures anywhere. When I asked my stepmom about it she said my dad had thrown them away years before. I remember looking through the pictures when I was a kid. I really wish I had them now.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hope you are feeling much better! My brother said he didn't realize how bad he was feeling until after he got a stent snd had increased blood flow!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I can do most anything in home repair but at my age (73) and owning a 5 year old new built home, I realize many tools/stuff I have (routers, chop saws, spray painting stuff, etc.) will never be needed as I would hire someone. Starting Wednesday I will be working on "unloading" such stuff. Many stored in large totes in the garage, so off to Goodwill.
We are not retired yet, but I wish my husband would get rid of his tools. At one time he was remodeling the whole house, but he doesn't like doing it and I would rather have it done professionally because he doesn't finish or does a half assed job. He has every tool and saw imaginable just taking up space plus he collects things from estate sales and I feel like I am drowning in all his stuff. He has the garage full so we cannot park cars in it. He has spare bedrooms full. He has the laundry room full. He has under the deck full. And now he just built a huge shed that he says he is going to store things from the garage and house in, but I'm not counting on that. More likely he will just collect more stuff and fill the shed with it. Meanwhile, we have three riding mowers sitting in the yard. We live in the suburbs and have a normal sized yard, not an estate lot. I, on the other hand, am more of a minimalist. I can't stand clutter and the areas of the house that I have control over are clutter free. I told him if he dies before I do, I am going to open up the house and let people come in and take whatever of his they want, just to get it out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement