U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 AM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We are not retired yet, but I wish my husband would get rid of his tools. At one time he was remodeling the whole house, but he doesn't like doing it and I would rather have it done professionally because he doesn't finish or does a half assed job. He has every tool and saw imaginable just taking up space plus he collects things from estate sales and I feel like I am drowning in all his stuff. He has the garage full so we cannot park cars in it. He has spare bedrooms full. He has the laundry room full. He has under the deck full. And now he just built a huge shed that he says he is going to store things from the garage and house in, but I'm not counting on that. More likely he will just collect more stuff and fill the shed with it. Meanwhile, we have three riding mowers sitting in the yard. We live in the suburbs and have a normal sized yard, not an estate lot. I, on the other hand, am more of a minimalist. I can't stand clutter and the areas of the house that I have control over are clutter free. I told him if he dies before I do, I am going to open up the house and let people come in and take whatever of his they want, just to get it out of here.
I feel your pain!

My other half has two cars he is going to 'work on". Before he got sick he was ordering lots of parts for his Corvette. Now those clutter his bedroom.

He also has lots of tools, several lawn mowers - which we do need, but not so many. Orders things all the time. Clothes, shoes, etc.

I too am a minimalist. But we do have a huge yard, but still.

I have the same plans when he expires - lol. Just take whatever you want.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 AM

7,790 posts, read 4,378,976 times
Quote:
We are not retired yet, but I wish my husband would get rid of his tools. At one time he was remodeling the whole house, but he doesn't like doing it and I would rather have it done professionally because he doesn't finish or does a half assed job. He has every tool and saw imaginable just taking up space plus he collects things from estate sales and I feel like I am drowning in all his stuff. He has the garage full so we cannot park cars in it. He has spare bedrooms full. He has the laundry room full. He has under the deck full. And now he just built a huge shed that he says he is going to store things from the garage and house in, but I'm not counting on that. More likely he will just collect more stuff and fill the shed with it. Meanwhile, we have three riding mowers sitting in the yard. We live in the suburbs and have a normal sized yard, not an estate lot. I, on the other hand, am more of a minimalist. I can't stand clutter and the areas of the house that I have control over are clutter free. I told him if he dies before I do, I am going to open up the house and let people come in and take whatever of his they want, just to get it out of here.
Sounds like you need a "Hoarders" intervention!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:45 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,426,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Robyn55 - I do a DoD level erase with a program my company provides. It should be okay.
I used to do that, but it takes a long time to wipe a hard drive. So now I use my 20 ton shop press. It secures the drive in less than 30 seconds.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:50 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,426,347 times
Quote:
I'll gladly take all of his tools. And use them. Now that I'm retired I use tools constantly on projects that (ahem) I do indeed finish and do a fine job on them.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:29 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,188,321 times
Popcorn247 - I have a friend who is a museum curator who helped me pack my artwork. First they were wrapped in packing paper then small bubble wrap. The packing paper prevents the bubble wrap from sticking to the glass or frame. Sculptures and vases were basically packed the same way, but with 2 coats of small bubble wrap. We used disk pack boxes since they have the heavier cardboard. We left a couple of large heavy pieces and mirrors for the movers to pack.
With all the paper and tape we have been using packing things, I know I will be cursing myself when I go to unpack.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I used to do that, but it takes a long time to wipe a hard drive. So now I use my 20 ton shop press. It secures the drive in less than 30 seconds.
For someone who doesn't have a 20 ton shop press - just get a set of torx screwdrivers - like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

You can dismantle the case for the drive - hit the drive with a hammer - and that's that. I got rid of about 10 old hard drives that way a few months ago. Robyn

Old 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,849,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had a heart attack Wednesday and 98% blocked artery which necessitated a stent. While recovering I thought about how angry our kids would be if they had to deal with all our "stuff" in the middle of their busy lives. I'm now even more determined to get serious about this mess.
It started getting real a few years ago when we vowed to severely limit what was brought into the house and we've been good about that. Only shopping for things we absolutely need and no recreational shopping like we did years ago.

Good for you to get rid of stuff before it traps you

My parents lived in the same house ~40 years. When it came to retirement and moving, well, they never got rid of all the stuff. Then, they both passed away. I'm sure their lives were cut short in part due to the stress of trying to cram a 4 bdr house into an apartment.

I was the only child, and lived in another state. It was up to me to sort their stuff Thank goodness they left substantial life insurance. I used most of it to have their stuff boxed up, packed, and shipped to my area to a storage unit. It took about a year to sort all the boxes....although a lot of nice things were left to me, it nearly caused me a nervous breakdown.

Do think of who will come behind you to sort your stuff. If you value them at all, don't leave them a nearly impossible task. Like in my case---an only child, no one else to help, lived over 1000+miles away, and dealing with the shock and grief, along with handling all the details of funeral, finances, etc, etc.....if it weren't for the life insurance proceeds to cover the cost of moving and storing their stuff, I would have had to walk away and leave most of it!

Old 03-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Yeah I just finished packing the bathroom. All that's left is what's needed for the next 4 weeks. It's amazing the collection of half used stuff that had accumulated in the bottom of the drawers and under the sink.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:53 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Do think of who will come behind you to sort your stuff. If you value them at all, don't leave them a nearly impossible task. Like in my case---an only child, no one else to help, lived over 1000+miles away, and dealing with the shock and grief, along with handling all the details of funeral, finances, etc, etc.....if it weren't for the life insurance proceeds to cover the cost of moving and storing their stuff, I would have had to walk away and leave most of it!
What did we do to downsize today?

We signed a contract on a new house which is 2,100sf smaller than this one! (moving from 4800 sf to 2700 sf hardly seems like downsizing to many I'm sure but it surely is to us!) It is being built in a brand new 55+ condo community of only 63 homes which is being built right down the road. We are the 5th family to buy a lot. We put in the contract that our children-no matter what their age- could always live with us. It won't be ready for a full year which is perfect for what we need to do. Toss, sell, give away and donate is the mantra for the next year.
We are 69 and 76 with two 14 year old daughters.
The girls are just fine with this new arrangement. The new home means no school change and even closer to some friends where they can walk to and from. We made sure there is enough space for them as long as they want to live with us.

It looks ideal but most of all we will be able to make this move while we still can make good decisions and we will make it so much easier on our 4 kids when we die. I've been through the process of mourning and being angry at having to dispose of crap accumulated and not dealt with by seniors and I refuse to do this to my own kids. The grown kids already feel relieved we are taking action. One lives on the other side of the world and the other 400 miles away. They are both busy with their own lives and careers --as it should be. I'm excited!

Old 03-27-2016, 02:39 PM

Congratulations on your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement