U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,595,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Someone swooped in late and bought all four of the vases I had on ebay, Amen!
Congrats. You never know what's going to sell on eBay. I had a miniature black cast iron cauldron that didn't get one bid last fall, on several tries. This time I listed it for $10 and got $26. All it takes are two interested buyers. OTOH, I can almost assure you collectible plates don't sell at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,009,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
I urge you to have those things digitized and saved on good quality secure media! If not all of them, at least the ones you're proudest of. Your daughter may not want your box of stuff now. But - and there's no way to say this that won't strike some people as morbid - after you're gone she may well be glad to have some images and recordings of you. Maybe you could assemble a notebook with the select pictures and holders for CDs/DVDs/hard drive or whatever with the video/audio/digital pictures. Smaller than a box, clearly labeled.

I'm by no means (!!) a very sentimental person, but I treasure a few "oral history" recordings made by older relatives who have passed. I don't listen to them all the time, but every couple of years if I'm thinking of one of them I may pull out that CD and listen one more time to at least part of it. Another relative did each of them. For each person, she just sat them down with the tape recorder on the table and started them talking about their lives, at a time when they were certainly "up in years" but not frail or failing.

And I regret to this day that a decade ago I did *not* sit down with an older relative, a real chatterbox, and do an audiotape session of me prompting her to tell some of the tales of her life, and her telling them. Because now she's quite old, suffering the ravages of a vicious disease, and lost to dementia.
Agreed. I like to video tape the family just doing ordinary things like eating dinner so I can come back in a few years and watch the family interaction to see how things change over the years.

My sister died early and I found a 3 second video clip of her just fooling around for the camera, I sent the video to her husband and sons and feel like it's somehow more precious than a static image.

I would have loved to video my grandmother just rambling about her childhood in her last years but I never thought about doing it.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,047,067 times
What did you do to downsize today?

I trimmed the hedge this morning . Does that count, it's much smaller ?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,374,443 times
We are TRYING to adopt a "something in/something out" policy now that we have downsized to keep things from getting out of hand again....it seems to be working. If you buy a piece of clothing, shoes, whatever, something like has to go. It is too easy to keep "adding" to the closet. That seems to be my biggest issue.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:43 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Got rid of the fruit basket I kept on the kitchen counter. Have been throwing too many bananas into the compost pile! If you want a banana walk three blocks to the store - lol.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Started selling off accumulated bio-med equipment for pennies on the dollar...

Large heavy items cost a lot to ship... so a 25k 10 year old item might go for 10% or even less...

At this rate it won't be long before I can park the cars back in the garage.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:32 PM

23,542 posts, read 17,535,380 times
I threw out two worn out pillows, a coat that's now too small, and a pair of cargo pants that were worn out. Small gestures.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
I notice we tend to slow down at times when we sort. We were on a roll, then, realized we had spent 10 minutes looking at some old bean pots. They were my mother's, but don't hold any sentimental value, just something I found in the basement. I liked to use them as decorations. Then, I found myself researching them on Ebay, is there a market for them, etc, etc......

Ok, when I find myself stuck on an item, I put it aside and come back to it later. I find 99% of the time its a give-away, donation thing. If I truly think it has some value, well, I will put it aside and decide later. So far, very little has gone into the "treasure chest".

The real vale of something lies in the space you free up when you get rid of it!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:47 AM

16,334 posts, read 10,327,920 times
or the memory of who gave it to you, or where you got it.

That's where I get into trouble. Not as bad as I used to be but still pretty much a sentimental mush.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:52 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
I have a really nice classical guitar to sell. Any ideas on where to sell that? I don't really want to have to ship it out so I would like to sell it locally. Suggestions?
Try Craigslist. They list by the area you are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement