U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-30-2016, 07:47 AM
 
6,364 posts, read 5,098,251 times
Reputation: 12936

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, I'm managing without the other things (some of them family heirlooms), but now I find I have to keep an eye out for an area rug. And BUY a new one. And that bugs! But maybe it's just me...
you see so many family heirlooms in thrift or antique stores, that I often wonder about their history.

As for rugs, to me they are just a tripping hazard and dust/dirt collectors - no rugs here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 AM
 
7,838 posts, read 4,422,326 times
Reputation: 11671
I need them for a splash of color... Now that everything else is gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM
 
14,276 posts, read 24,050,959 times
Reputation: 20117
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Does anyone ever REGRET getting rid of something? As I have posted, I recently downsized from a three-story house to an 800 s.f. cottage, and there are about five things I find I really could use now that aren't easily replaceable. Once it's gone, it's gone! I wish I'd been more prudent but, I guess fortunately (?), once you get into decluttering mode, it self-perpetuates.

I refused to allow my wife into to bully me into getting rid of two boxes (think computer paper boxes) of prize possessions. She kept saying that there was no room for them. I found the room and kept them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,486 posts, read 43,888,386 times
Reputation: 47268
We are making serious decisions and already have decided some things will never go. One is my grandmother clock (table top) which my grandfather left to me. I remember him holding me up to wind it and it has special meaning to me. Another is my mother's baby dish and mug. She used to tell me how she remembered digging her little spoon up under the rim to get all the food. The idea of my mother as a pudgy baby in a high chair warms my heart.

Each item has to be thoroughly pondered. Like the Japanese decluttering lady says Hold it to your heart and ask Does it bring you joy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 11:36 AM
 
6,364 posts, read 5,098,251 times
Reputation: 12936
Closet cleaning day! I live in an old house and it has tiny closets. Tall, though, so I've added shelves and doubled the clothes racks. But still it can get crowded if I don't prune it regularly.

But I think I prefer this because with a larger closet, I have the urge to fill it up. And then I don't use the things I've filled I've filled it up with. Here I do. I transfer "winter" things to my vintage standing wardrobe. And the same with summer. Right now we still have to keep some long sleeved clothing or jackets available.

Can get down to a bone chilling 50 degrees at night!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
29 posts, read 63,109 times
Reputation: 81
Retiring 30-June this year

POD arriving 2-May

Downsized this week with truck loads of stuff going to local mission, and coffee and end tables on the street with 'FREE' signs went in 1 hour

-WC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 01:05 PM
 
7,092 posts, read 7,019,926 times
Reputation: 5908
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are making serious decisions and already have decided some things will never go. One is my grandmother clock (table top) which my grandfather left to me. I remember him holding me up to wind it and it has special meaning to me. Another is my mother's baby dish and mug. She used to tell me how she remembered digging her little spoon up under the rim to get all the food. The idea of my mother as a pudgy baby in a high chair warms my heart.

Each item has to be thoroughly pondered. Like the Japanese decluttering lady says Hold it to your heart and ask Does it bring you joy?
None of these items takes up much room. I'd hang on to them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 08:55 AM
 
432 posts, read 230,719 times
Reputation: 905
I must be weird. I'm 62 and DH is 67. We have a four bedroom 3 bath house, two large garages. One parks 6 cars the other has a work shop with space for two cars and an addition on that garage that houses other antique vehicles. We wish our house was bigger. I'm retired and finally have the time to pursue my love of drawing and painting. I'd love to have a studio built as now I'm using an existing room but need to stow my supplies when I'm finished. My DH loves antique cars and has restored quite a few. He wants to take walls down between our downstairs bedrooms and living area so he can set up his large collection of trains. We both have many hobbies. I don't want to downsize. Our children will have their hands full getting rid of all our goodies but they will be grinning from ear to ear when the check comes in.

We still host dinner parties and our home is where we have all the family holiday celebrations. I have enough china to host many, many people and I have no desire to give it up because we still use it. When one or both of our daughters want to take over hosting I will gladly give up some of my china so they can use it but I still need enough for our entertaining. I do know though that when our health starts to decline we may need to rethink things and I'm ok with that. I know that at some point my reading, writing, and art will be enough to keep me occupied and that doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

The only thing I would like to change besides adding a few rooms is to have everything on one floor. I still fly up and down the steps sometimes 20 or more times a day with no problem but if I ever have trouble with arthritis or something that slows me down the steps could be problematic. I am loving retirement, enjoying my home, and hobbies and I am not downsizing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 AM
 
6,364 posts, read 5,098,251 times
Reputation: 12936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I must be weird. I'm 62 and DH is 67. We have a four bedroom 3 bath house, two large garages. One parks 6 cars the other has a work shop with space for two cars and an addition on that garage that houses other antique vehicles. We wish our house was bigger. I'm retired and finally have the time to pursue my love of drawing and painting. I'd love to have a studio built as now I'm using an existing room but need to stow my supplies when I'm finished. My DH loves antique cars and has restored quite a few. He wants to take walls down between our downstairs bedrooms and living area so he can set up his large collection of trains. We both have many hobbies. I don't want to downsize. Our children will have their hands full getting rid of all our goodies but they will be grinning from ear to ear when the check comes in.

We still host dinner parties and our home is where we have all the family holiday celebrations. I have enough china to host many, many people and I have no desire to give it up because we still use it. When one or both of our daughters want to take over hosting I will gladly give up some of my china so they can use it but I still need enough for our entertaining. I do know though that when our health starts to decline we may need to rethink things and I'm ok with that. I know that at some point my reading, writing, and art will be enough to keep me occupied and that doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

The only thing I would like to change besides adding a few rooms is to have everything on one floor. I still fly up and down the steps sometimes 20 or more times a day with no problem but if I ever have trouble with arthritis or something that slows me down the steps could be problematic. I am loving retirement, enjoying my home, and hobbies and I am not downsizing anytime soon.
Well, sounds to me like you are going to stay and die in this house, so no need to downsize. You have your hobbies and you keep them neat and organized.

When I think of downsizing, I think of packrats and people that keep acquiring things just to acquire. No plan involved.

I don't plan on staying in this house, I want to just be able to take off and not worry what I leave behind if something should happen to me while on my travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2016, 01:35 AM
 
9,702 posts, read 15,912,317 times
Reputation: 16091
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Does anyone ever REGRET getting rid of something? As I have posted, I recently downsized from a three-story house to an 800 s.f. cottage, and there are about five things I find I really could use now that aren't easily replaceable. Once it's gone, it's gone! I wish I'd been more prudent but, I guess fortunately (?), once you get into decluttering mode, it self-perpetuates.


Sometimes we can over-do it. Once we get into the swing of de-cluttering, we might make decisions we regret later. Just ask yourself this--can this item be replaced in the future if I should need such? I ditched my mother's sewing machine, which I have never used, based on this. If I should ever get the urge to sew again, I can buy another, which would be upgraded, anyways.


I regret just a few things, some little trinkets that had sentimental value. If I had time to re-think it, I would have kept them, but life moves on!


So---this is how I stage it


1--pure junk, trash, papers, etc, either trash or shred


2 stuff I will never use again, such as---Mom's sewing machine!


3 stuff I currently use and will use in my new place, such as current wardrobe, furniture, etc


4 stuff I could use, but could easily buy new at the new location. Obviously, not expensive stuff, just everyday dishes, cooking gizmos, etc. You can order new and have it sent to your new place from places like Walmart, etc, for less than it would cost to pack and ship the old stuff


Then, go back through everything and ask yourself----WTH am I taking this across the country for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top