U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 05:27 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,950,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Robyn.....well isn't that interesting. You think saving the earth is environmental garbage. We ARE already retired with more money than we know what to do with and not everything has to have a monetary payback.
Since I'm washing dishes anyway it takes not one second more or more water or energy to swish out plastic bags and foil. My parents were raised during the depression when every single rubber band, tin foil, clothing, food, etc was scarce and appreciated and saved. A lot of what they experienced was handed down to my generation. I make absolutely no apologies for caring about "environmental garbage". And because there are non- caring folks like you I am glad my habits are in place and that my own 7 children are carrying on what they learned. And just in case you are interested, 6 of my 7 children are "recycled" as well.
My point is that if you're really environmentally conscious/correct - whatever that means exactly - you're not going to buy things like plastic baggies to start with. And "swish" them out using scarce water or other non-renewable resources. One probably wastes more (scarce) resources - like water - by washing out these things repeatedly - than simply using them once and then discarding them. It is obviously better - in terms of environmental consequences - not to use them in the first place. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 AM

7,049 posts, read 7,004,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
After almost 40 years of marriage, my wife agreed to give her wedding dress to Goodwill. Also her teddy bear collection and her 1st anniversary present are going into an upcoming garage sale.
Very sad...

Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 AM

6,337 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Very sad...
My 92 year old mom still has her wedding dress. She wants us to bury it with her.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM

9,011 posts, read 7,770,007 times
Since my wife passed, I have made it habit to declutter. I try to get rid of things each week. Nothing comes in without some things leaving. As an example I bought a pole lamp for my porch and took the opportunity to get rid of 3 lamps that were stored away.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Interesting military items like that could probably be given to a veteran's organization? If it comes to that.

I have my father's discharge papers from WW2 - no way would I take a picture of that and toss them in the trash. Yes I have scanned them, but having the originals means a lot!
Why not? Would you move them to a new house - buy extra space in a new house for stuff like that? I am assuming the veteran in question is dead - and you don't need the papers in terms of showing entitlement to various military benefits.

Note that I still have some stuff like that. But - then again - I moved from an 1800 sf condo to my current 2800 sf house (with much more storage area than I need). Next time I move - that stuff isn't moving with me. Robyn

Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My 92 year old mom still has her wedding dress. She wants us to bury it with her.
Where is the dress? In her house? In yours? Who will take care of that wedding dress if/when you mother winds up in a SNF with only a small closet? I am glad I eloped - don't have a wedding dress . Just a good marriage . Robyn

Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Since my wife passed, I have made it habit to declutter. I try to get rid of things each week. Nothing comes in without some things leaving. As an example I bought a pole lamp for my porch and took the opportunity to get rid of 3 lamps that were stored away.
Why were the lamps stored away?

I have some vintage Laurel mushroom lamps that are worth about $500 each:

Vintage Mid Century Laurel Mushroom Table Lamp | eBay

I have saved some original glass globes for these lamps - because they're very hard (and expensive) to replace.

There are some things that are worth saving. And other things that are not. Robyn

Old 05-18-2016, 03:46 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
I got rid of so much stuff the other day I couldn't believe I had so much. I carried it cross country two years ago when I moved from Portland to Cleveland. I had thought I had rid myself of a lot then but realized there was so much more.

Part of my hanging onto things was I wanted the comfort of seeing familiar things in a strange new place. But I don't need to do that any longer. So some things I had for years and some not so old were taken away. I am moving from a large apartment to a smaller one and I just don't want the clutter.

I looked at stuff I had for years and suddenly the sentimental value was no longer there. Things that maybe a few years ago like mementos of trips and other times really weren't so important any longer and those included photos from long ago. Knickknacks that took up too much space. Furniture I had moved from Portland went too. Not all, but some larger pieces that won't fit in the new place.

Everything usable went to a place where they recycle usable things and dispose probably of that which can no longer be used. It's kind of a good feeling not to have it around any longer. When I pass this mortal coil, my sisters who will be taking care of whatever is in my place to dispose of will thank me for making their job easy. I should tell them that while I have the opportunity.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,630,605 times
Everytime I get rid of something I need it the next week.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:50 AM

6,337 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Where is the dress? In her house? In yours? Who will take care of that wedding dress if/when you mother winds up in a SNF with only a small closet? I am glad I eloped - don't have a wedding dress . Just a good marriage . Robyn
Yes it's in her house in an old vintage trunk. She's in a nursing home and probably won't last but a few months. The wedding dress will be placed in her coffin. I'm pretty sure there will be room in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement