U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,707,998 times

Advertisements

This morning I made the decision to fully and100% quit worrying about trying to sell anything on fb or craigslist. It just doesn't happen, even things I think there should be a market for. (Unless its a cellphone or something).

I see so many posts on the local area fb pages with no responses. People are buried in stuff and even the poor would rather buy new at Wal-mart vs. previously owned Wal-Mart crap or even old quality pieces it seems.

I hate for things to end up in landfills though which is my issue as much as all the money I have wasted buying stuff. So, to the Goodwill and let them sort it out.

Part of my problem though is I don't know what I'm doing next and that's coming right up. Will I have a house? I like tools and have a lawn mower,, work bench etc. in storage. I just don't know.
Part of it is I just lack will, discipline and am a bit lazy. I'm pretty independent but can't seem to pack or go through stuff by myself. That and exercise I need a buddy for. Wed a friend went out to storage with me and helped me weed some stuff out to donate. Now I just have to deliver it. TONS more to go through. Some of the stuff I weeded out is nice house decorative stuff. Guess if I move to a house it will just be bare because I'm not decorating and amassing stuff ever again!

It seems like it takes a fair amount of bravery to live with very little. I have a problem with judging myself compared to others. Their nice houses, their nice glasses, dining ware, furniture etc. I tried to keep up with Jones to make myself feel like a normal person (struggle with inferiority complex my entire life) even though I was on a different path.

I remember watching a French movie where some young people had the tiniest apt and most of the clothes they owned were on hooks on the wall. Same with the old days here right? One good Sunday dress and coat and a few day to day ones. That's it. I would love to pare down to that but feel.....like people would think I was weird. I look at my old furniture and then look at houses for sale online and just feel...like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 10:30 AM

6,416 posts, read 5,134,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
This morning I made the decision to fully and100% quit worrying about trying to sell anything on fb or craigslist. It just doesn't happen, even things I think there should be a market for. (Unless its a cellphone or something).

I see so many posts on the local area fb pages with no responses. People are buried in stuff and even the poor would rather buy new at Wal-mart vs. previously owned Wal-Mart crap or even old quality pieces it seems.

I hate for things to end up in landfills though which is my issue as much as all the money I have wasted buying stuff. So, to the Goodwill and let them sort it out.

Part of my problem though is I don't know what I'm doing next and that's coming right up. Will I have a house? I like tools and have a lawn mower,, work bench etc. in storage. I just don't know.
Part of it is I just lack will, discipline and am a bit lazy. I'm pretty independent but can't seem to pack or go through stuff by myself. That and exercise I need a buddy for. Wed a friend went out to storage with me and helped me weed some stuff out to donate. Now I just have to deliver it. TONS more to go through. Some of the stuff I weeded out is nice house decorative stuff. Guess if I move to a house it will just be bare because I'm not decorating and amassing stuff ever again!

It seems like it takes a fair amount of bravery to live with very little. I have a problem with judging myself compared to others. Their nice houses, their nice glasses, dining ware, furniture etc. I tried to keep up with Jones to make myself feel like a normal person (struggle with inferiority complex my entire life) even though I was on a different path.

I remember watching a French movie where some young people had the tiniest apt and most of the clothes they owned were on hooks on the wall. Same with the old days here right? One good Sunday dress and coat and a few day to day ones. That's it. I would love to pare down to that but feel.....like people would think I was weird. I look at my old furniture and then look at houses for sale online and just feel...like crap.
who cares what people think! Get rid of all that stuff you have in storage, it can be replaced if really needed. How much are you spending each month on that - 100 or so?

Be unique - don't follow the crowd. Do what makes you happy - life is too short.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 AM

6,416 posts, read 5,134,289 times
Just cleared up my asparagus bed. It was getting unruly. This is the second season and I think I was supposed to let them just go and grow to develop the roots. So I did. Hope I get a good crop next year. Was just tired of those huge tall ferns blocking things.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:21 PM

36,486 posts, read 43,965,999 times
I had great plans to try to sell some very nice shoes, clothes and handbags on e bay or another resale site. Then I realize how much time it would take to photograph, list, etc and said Forget This and packed them up for the PTA Thrift shop which benefits our local schools. Time is money and i don't want to spend the time trying to make cents on the dollar.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:14 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,914,079 times
I finally took a big bag of clothes that were in my closet and drawers (as if I actually would ear them again) to the the thrift store yesterday, Some I only wore once or twice and realized they needed laundering with a bit more effort than I am willing to put in (casual shirts that need ironing) or just didn't fit quite right. I donated a really nice wool suit that I have had for over 20 years. I got that small again a few times but I am shaped different. The funny thing is I found a few things I will start wearing more regularly that got mixed in with the stuff I never really wore.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:47 PM

10 posts, read 5,658 times
Default Downsizing

Great to be new here and to read your post. My husband and I don't have children and we have WAY too much stuff! He just recorded all of his old vinyl records and listed them for sale. He has literally hundreds of them. This is our first step of getting rid of things so that we can start to think of downsizing.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:13 PM

402 posts, read 293,617 times
I purchased a high end scanner and scanned all pictures and documents. At a family gathering I gave each extended family their originals so many prints are gone. I scan about every week and do not keep most printmaking. Scanned years of greeting cards- cut off the fronts and will donate them Shands or other child care center for art craft. Giving away extra linens and kitchen items to family. Other things go to women's shelters or something similar. Give away window treatments that are outdated or do not fit my current home. I moved into a larger home. For me it is easier to keep things in place and organized. Beginning to give away collections. First half of life for accumulating and the next half getting rid of it. All the best!

Old 05-22-2016, 03:30 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,004,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathe555 View Post
Great to be new here and to read your post. My husband and I don't have children and we have WAY too much stuff! He just recorded all of his old vinyl records and listed them for sale. He has literally hundreds of them. This is our first step of getting rid of things so that we can start to think of downsizing.
Vinyl records are perhaps something I would get rid of last - not first. Not only are many now collectors' items and in vogue - many people still enjoy listening to them. Things like old towels and linens and shabby kitchen equipment and worn out underwear and boxes of holiday ornaments you haven't used in a decade would be first on my list. Robyn

Old 05-22-2016, 03:38 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,004,373 times
Default A Sobering Wake Up Call

Was talking with a friend down the block today. The young widow (50ish) next door to me has had her house on the market for over a year now. And it's a sellers' market here! When her mother had to move into a senior facility and downsize - she couldn't part with anything. So - apparently - my next door neighbor filled her garage - side to side - floor to ceiling - with all her mother's junk (I've seen it - and it looks something out of Hoarders). Buyers see that - and it is - apparently - a HUGE turnoff. Robyn

Old 05-22-2016, 05:22 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,707,998 times
So the house is empty and the garage is full? Oh no wait, its the daughters house for sale and has her mothers stuff in the garage. So..if the house sells she's going to take all her mothers stuff with her?
I wonder if she is where are a lot of us are...its just a huge task to winnow through all that for the bits you want to keep, so you procrastinate.

Clemencia53, other people already think I'm eccentric (if they are nice) because I never married or have kids. its hard when people don't even give you a chance. Otherwise I think I'm fairly normal although I have a few strong opinions. Fitting in is a normal human thing to facilitate connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement