U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 04:04 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,754,934 times

Advertisements

Today my husband took 4 huge and heavy boxes of books to our local library for their next sale. It killed my soul to part with I'm sure over $1,000 worth of good books. Some coffee table books but mostly good hardback books on religion and philosophy as well as some novels. I argued with him that we could sell them and we were giving away expensive books. He resolutely said "We have to do this. Selling them would take hours and hours of listing, sorting, packing, shipping. Let them go." So I wrote down the titles and authors to maybe find them for my Kindle which is the only way I can read anymore anyway. It was very traumatic for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 06:24 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Today my husband took 4 huge and heavy boxes of books to our local library for their next sale. It killed my soul to part with I'm sure over $1,000 worth of good books. Some coffee table books but mostly good hardback books on religion and philosophy as well as some novels. I argued with him that we could sell them and we were giving away expensive books. He resolutely said "We have to do this. Selling them would take hours and hours of listing, sorting, packing, shipping. Let them go." So I wrote down the titles and authors to maybe find them for my Kindle which is the only way I can read anymore anyway. It was very traumatic for me.
You did the right thing by setting them free so others can enjoy them.

Life isn't all about money.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:22 AM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
Quote:
Sorry you had to part with your books...

Our library system will give a donation receipt so that you can at least take it off your taxes.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 7,729,944 times
While not exactly downsizing. Tomorrow I am going through my frig/freezer with the intention of eating (over a period of time) or disposing of unused food. Like eat my way through what I have before buying new. Same with my kitchen cabinets. As an example: I have no use for two boxes of salt, both of which have been opened.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
While not exactly downsizing. Tomorrow I am going through my frig/freezer with the intention of eating (over a period of time) or disposing of unused food. Like eat my way through what I have before buying new. Same with my kitchen cabinets. As an example: I have no use for two boxes of salt, both of which have been opened.
I should do this also.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:12 AM

7,795 posts, read 4,383,926 times
I call that "freezer-diving" and have been doing it for MONTHS now, replenishing only staples and necessities as they run out. It's amazing how much we store up, and it's fun being creative with what we find as we purge. It's also great spending almost nothing on groceries!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:26 AM

3,688 posts, read 1,867,595 times
I took several bags & boxes to the Salvation Army. I have pretty much given up baking so I got rid of my cake and pie pans, muffin pans. If I want to eat that sort of thing I'll buy it at the grocery store. Got rid of lots of clothes and bric a brac.

I put stuff on ebay from time to time, like I have one item now (bought lot of new perfume in box and there was a duplicate, so I'm selling that one to pay for the others). I just don't like putting up with people, weird questions and I'm not having a garage sale and having people come to my house.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:11 PM

4,967 posts, read 3,454,424 times
If things work out as I am hoping. I will be selling a lot of things on ebay. Or Craigs list.

Sometimes the investigation of an area will be very rewarding. I was thinking of moving to Tennessee but, it appears I will have the same problems there; cold in winter, hot in summer & allergy seagion is brutal. So, like NYgirl I may stay where I am & visit th places I'm interested in.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:23 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,925,663 times
Quote:
Most used books are worth about 25 cents (if that). The people who sell them on places like Amazon make whatever little money they make by marking up shipping costs. There are some books that are worth more than 25 cents. It's easy to get an idea of what used books are worth by looking at websites like Amazon - Ebay - Alibris - and similar.

Note that the same applies when it comes to things like records. Most are worthless. But a few aren't. I got rid of all our records about a decade ago. Sold one on Ebay for $140 - another 3-4 for $10-20 each. And the remaining 200 or so? Couldn't even give those away.

Cassettes are even more worthless than most records. I sold about 100 on Ebay in a bulk lot for about $25. Robyn

Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
I've spent the week downsizing my paper files and have discarded maybe 15%. This kind of weeding out is the most tedious. I haven't even started on the computer files. I wonder if I shouldn't even bother. This process is taking way too much time. I may die before I get it all done. The reward though is that I feel about 15 lb lighter psychologically. The more of the past that I let go of the better I feel in outlook, like readying for the next stage in life. The key is not letting stuff accumulate all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement