U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 06:54 PM

51 posts, read 57,476 times

Advertisements

In our small town we put unwanted stuff at the end of the driveway with a 'Free - Enjoy!' sign on it. I've decluttered with minimal effort this way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 33,330 times
We will be moving from a HCOL state to a lower COL one. And to a smaller house as we no longer need all this room. Like you all, we have inventoried our possessions. HOLY COW do we have a lot of crap! We are determined to not have our kids be stuck unloading boatloads of stuff like we recently had to do with my folks' estate.

We've had two garage sales so far, and given away to vets' organizations a couple dozen boxes of stuff. I spent this weekend running two shredders way past their duty cycles and have filled a garbage can with shredded docs. Did I really need to keep brokerage statements from the late 80's? It is amazing how many documents had your SSN on them back then.

I am down to guns I need for hunting, only necessary fishing gear, and all of my woodworking and other tools. Mary Poppins (the wife) still has a loooong way to go. Between fabric, cake decorating, candy making, and other domestic stuff, she could still fill a room and more. I see another round of garage sales and trips to Goodwill.

We also need to get rid of my mom's jewelry. We have a box full of gaudy "what grandma would wear on a cruise" jewelry to unload. Our two daughters split a tennis bracelet, and each got enough diamonds for their wedding rings and a pair of studs--which is a great way to remember grandma. Still not sure how to sell this jewelry and not get taken.

The unloading continues...

Last edited by Lv2fish; 06-13-2016 at 08:43 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 PM

1,187 posts, read 663,894 times
I have been downsizing my photo album collection by moving the photos from those old, discolored sticky-page albums to the acid-free, photo pocket type. The new albums hold 500 photos and I can get 2-3 old photo albums consolidated into one new, sleeker one.

As I go along I am weeding out duplicate photos of the same landscape shots, etc. but the photos of family and kids growing up are priceless. Eventually I will scan them but for now I like to look at the actual photos in an album. In fact, I will probably always keep the physical albums even after scanning.

It took me all one winter to transfer our family and trip videos to DVDs - huge difference in space. Again, I like the physical copy for now.

And shredding - oh my! Finally shredded checks from the 1970s-1980s. Sure was fun to relive the days of $25 grocery bills for an entire week (with steak!), plus our mortgage payment of just a couple hundred dollars.

Better organization is very freeing, but does anyone else get a little sad or nostalgic going through the memories of your life?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
And shredding - oh my! Finally shredded checks from the 1970s-1980s. Sure was fun to relive the days of $25 grocery bills for an entire week (with steak!), plus our mortgage payment of just a couple hundred dollars.

Better organization is very freeing, but does anyone else get a little sad or nostalgic going through the memories of your life?
Oh the checks! I must have shredded a couple thousand of them last weekend. Lick thumb, then deal checks into the shredder like a deck of cards.

As for feeling sad and nostalgic: not so much. This is probably because we had to liquidate my parents' estate recently, and it was a PITA. They had accumulated soooooo much stuff. Some valuable; most was nostalgic. What I realized was that no one wanted the nostalgic stuff. Not us (sure, a couple things), the kids, or most of the people visiting the estate sale. Most went out in one big batch someone paid $10 to haul away. I realized then and there we would not make our kids go through this--especially since we are moving to another state in two years (maybe sooner), and have the opportunity to clear out the crap before we move.

I still have probably 100# of photo albums of my folks' world travels, but truth be told, no one really wants to look at them again, and they will probably go out in the trash when we get to that cabinet in the garage.

My mom was a bit of a hoarder, and I have a ton of Kincaids, Hummels, etc that I need to unload. What a pain that is going to be.

For the sake of your kids, please downsize.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2fish View Post
Oh the checks! I must have shredded a couple thousand of them last weekend. Lick thumb, then deal checks into the shredder like a deck of cards.

As for feeling sad and nostalgic: not so much. This is probably because we had to liquidate my parents' estate recently, and it was a PITA. They had accumulated soooooo much stuff. Some valuable; most was nostalgic. What I realized was that no one wanted the nostalgic stuff. Not us (sure, a couple things), the kids, or most of the people visiting the estate sale. Most went out in one big batch someone paid $10 to haul away. I realized then and there we would not make our kids go through this--especially since we are moving to another state in two years (maybe sooner), and have the opportunity to clear out the crap before we move.

I still have probably 100# of photo albums of my folks' world travels, but truth be told, no one really wants to look at them again, and they will probably go out in the trash when we get to that cabinet in the garage.

My mom was a bit of a hoarder, and I have a ton of Kincaids, Hummels, etc that I need to unload. What a pain that is going to be.

For the sake of your kids, please downsize.
yea - I've gone to a couple of estate sales and ask myself "why did they keep these things around?"

Old 06-14-2016, 07:02 AM

1,187 posts, read 663,894 times
My daughter has requested the photo albums as they are important to her, so I wanted them to be in good shape. She has already scanned all her baby and early life photos, plus some family trips, for herself. It does make me happy that she enjoys them so much.

Yes, cleaning out the parents' home is both physically and emotionally draining, having gone through that recently myself. After shredding all my dad's insurance and brokerage house statements from decades ago, I was motivated to clean out my own stuff for the sake of my kids. My mom had kept every little note and letter the grandchildren had sent, so we passed them on to the them. Some loved them, and I'm sure some were pitched - their choice.

Oh boy - the Hummels. Mother loved them so we gave one to each grandchild as a remembrance but I still have three shelves full, some from the 1950s. Not worth much, but I can't dispose of them yet.

Also, I made a list with information of all the furniture and antiques, some from the great-great grandparents' farms, which my daughter wants - her sibling, not so much, so that works out.

Luckily, like me, my parents didn't have a lot of random "stuff" but only kept things which spoke to them. Same with my daughter and me - future generations, who knows!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
For me, shedding pounds (of stuff) is as important as shedding amount of stuff.

I'm still on the roll to get rid of heavy furniture. This week a lightweight birchwood folding computer table is coming to replace a heavy metal one that cannot be moved by one person. I gave the heavy oversize wicker trunk to my sister, even a strong person couldn't lift it alone even with nothing in it (it had been packed with quilts and linens, now in smaller containers). My d.r. set is Danish/contemporary and it's relatively lightweight. I got rid of the 6-ton couch and now have a futon couch with beautiful cover, it breaks down for moving and provides a guest bed if needed. I'll never forget four guys trying to move my mother's heav-y sleeper sofa out of her house when she moved.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
For me, shedding pounds (of stuff) is as important as shedding amount of stuff.

I'm still on the roll to get rid of heavy furniture. This week a lightweight birchwood folding computer table is coming to replace a heavy metal one that cannot be moved by one person. I gave the heavy oversize wicker trunk to my sister, even a strong person couldn't lift it alone even with nothing in it (it had been packed with quilts and linens, now in smaller containers). My d.r. set is Danish/contemporary and it's relatively lightweight. I got rid of the 6-ton couch and now have a futon couch with beautiful cover, it breaks down for moving and provides a guest bed if needed. I'll never forget four guys trying to move my mother's heav-y sleeper sofa out of her house when she moved.
Are you planning on moving in the near future?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yea - I've gone to a couple of estate sales and ask myself "why did they keep these things around?"
My folks both had memory diseases sneak up on them--early in my dad's case. That, and they hadn't moved in 40 years. Both of those seemed to have made for the perfect storm of, we'll call it stuff .

Old 06-14-2016, 12:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Are you planning on moving in the near future?
Not from our locale. We have good reasons to stay here despite any drawbacks like winter. Arts, great transportation, many colleges, beautiful landscape...grandkids. We'll possibly move in about four years when we only have one dog and we know where the grandkids will be living. It will always be around here but they're planning to build in a few years/we would move to a one-floor with tiny yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement