U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought of this thread talking to my mother yesterday. She's 87 and still living in the house they had built 58 years ago. She's gotten rid of a lot over the years, but there's still more stuff.

Back in the 70s and 80s, music boxes were popular, and my late brother used to buy her one for Mother's Day or Christmas. Now she has all these lovely music boxes but they're just sitting in a box and although she says she's having trouble "hearing certain tones", she's lost much of her hearing and can't even enjoy them.

Some of her friends--well, pretty much ALL of her friends--live in this assisted living/nursing home facility nearby, and they have all kinds of activities, including Bingo. She said the volunteers are always asking for donations for prizes for Bingo, and so Mom is going to give them the music boxes! Maybe some of you have things you could give to a similar facility.
That is great!~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 AM

7,795 posts, read 4,383,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That is great!~!
I LOVE that... It's so much easier to part with sentimental items when you can meaningfully "rehome" them. Each separate box will bring joy to another individual's life, and what a beautiful tradition that was for your mother, too.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 AM

14,374 posts, read 7,916,313 times
Craigs List has been our best friend for months now. We just listed this huge cedar picnic table. I hope it sells.

The attic is nearly empty

Old 06-30-2016, 12:28 PM

56,026 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I LOVE that... It's so much easier to part with sentimental items when you can meaningfully "rehome" them. Each separate box will bring joy to another individual's life, and what a beautiful tradition that was for your mother, too.
Yes! She's past the point where she wants things--she'd rather have our time, play some cards or a board game. And of course she's thinking ahead to what if she has to sell the house and go somewhere. She had a quad bypass last year,and started dialysis (there's a family kidney disease, so that was expected, the heart attack was a surprise) and whIle she recovered and is driving again and doing well, she IS 87. If she has to go into assisted living, we don't want to spend a year cleaning 58 years worth of stuff out. She's gotten rid of a lot already.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:18 AM

86 posts, read 94,720 times
I've watched this for a long time. We are just finishing up our downsizing project. In 15 days we are moving From the w coast to east, and it is a much lighter load of stuff than when we came out with. This will be our retirement move- and we are proud of ourselves. We have been weeding out for over a year. Keeping our downsized clothes, books, photos, some vintage glassware, silverware, and family momentos( maybe one or two totes) - a couple of small expensive appliances ( kitchen aide, toaster) - taking our bedroom set... And donated EVERYTHING else. I only kept it if it would be used daily in our next home. No more 'use this silverware for Thanksgiving' mentality. I'm going to use it everyday! No more 'good China' and everyday China. It feels wasteful to me now. And thrift stores are full of this stuff. Donated all of my 'collectible' longaberger baskets, princess house glassware; I wish I had that cash I spent now! Christmas trinkets, ouch! And went through all of that costume jewelry and gave it to a crafter that will repurpose it. I feel liberated, and our next house will be smaller with only useful square footage. Not paying for sq footage that is needed for 'storage'. ... And yes, all donated to hospice, good will, church orgs, homeless, lots of needs out there!!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes! She's past the point where she wants things--she'd rather have our time, play some cards or a board game. And of course she's thinking ahead to what if she has to sell the house and go somewhere. She had a quad bypass last year,and started dialysis (there's a family kidney disease, so that was expected, the heart attack was a surprise) and whIle she recovered and is driving again and doing well, she IS 87. If she has to go into assisted living, we don't want to spend a year cleaning 58 years worth of stuff out. She's gotten rid of a lot already.
My mother had every intention of cleaning out her house of fifty years herself, but then she suddenly lost her vision, her health declined, and she couldn't (and the fact that she needed more help from me meant I couldn't then, either). I ended up taking three months off work and emptying the house full-time. It just about killed me! So it's always a good idea to do this sooner rather than later; in our 70s would be better than in our 80s, and in our 60s or even 50s would be even better. We just never know!

Last edited by otterhere; 07-01-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native ny View Post
I've watched this for a long time. We are just finishing up our downsizing project. In 15 days we are moving From the w coast to east, and it is a much lighter load of stuff than when we came out with. This will be our retirement move- and we are proud of ourselves. We have been weeding out for over a year. Keeping our downsized clothes, books, photos, some vintage glassware, silverware, and family momentos( maybe one or two totes) - a couple of small expensive appliances ( kitchen aide, toaster) - taking our bedroom set... And donated EVERYTHING else. I only kept it if it would be used daily in our next home. No more 'use this silverware for Thanksgiving' mentality. I'm going to use it everyday! No more 'good China' and everyday China. It feels wasteful to me now. And thrift stores are full of this stuff. Donated all of my 'collectible' longaberger baskets, princess house glassware; I wish I had that cash I spent now! Christmas trinkets, ouch! And went through all of that costume jewelry and gave it to a crafter that will repurpose it. I feel liberated, and our next house will be smaller with only useful square footage. Not paying for sq footage that is needed for 'storage'. ... And yes, all donated to hospice, good will, church orgs, homeless, lots of needs out there!!
Sounds like you felt great about donating rather than selling, but I feel bad knowing I'm "leaving money on the table." I donated everything last time, but only because I was too overwhelmed by it to do anything else. I would LIKE to recoup some of the money I spent on all that stuff when I next downsize, but I can't really see myself drumming up the required energy and motivation. Did you have any hesitation about that? I suppose it also depends how badly you need the money. I know SOME people won't let a florist vase go unless they can get at least a quarter out of someone for it. Amazing!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
My mother had every intention of cleaning out her house of fifty years herself, but then she suddenly lost her vision, her health declined, and she couldn't (and the fact that she needed more help from me meant I couldn't then, either). I ended up taking three months off work and emptying the house full-time. It just about killed me! So it's always a good idea to do this sooner rather than later; in our 70s would be better than in our 80s, and in our 60s or even 50s would be even better. We just never know!
This is exactly why we did the clean out now! A few years back, cleaned out my moms home, moved a lot to our house, gave my sister her stuff back.... What we left at my moms home for my brother who purchased it has been mostly dispursed. So much stuff! Probably every craft magazine printed was in that house, along with yards and yards of fabric, 3 sewing machines, clipping after clipping of newspaper recipes, and every magnet from all the places we had been on the fridge. This last January, my cousin who was only 62, lived alone in a big home passed away unexpectedly. No will, and only a few cousins left to tend to his business. Well, his house was (is) beyond full. Stuff shipped to his home, never opened. A few estate people would not even take the house on to clean out. After a while someone was found to start the process. My husband and I decided we would never ever leave a legacy of stuff- it is wasteful and it holds you back! We do not want to be defined by stuff. ...and after cleaning out a few homes, we will not leave that job to anyone else.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you felt great about donating rather than selling, but I feel bad knowing I'm "leaving money on the table." I donated everything last time, but only because I was too overwhelmed by it to do anything else. I would LIKE to recoup some of the money I spent on all that stuff when I next downsize, but I can't really see myself drumming up the required energy and motivation. Did you have any hesitation about that? I suppose it also depends how badly you need the money. I know SOME people won't let a florist vase go unless they can get at least a quarter out of someone for it. Amazing!
I had no hesitation to donate - I felt as though it was giving back.... I will not replace everything I donated... I am sad that I thought 'stuff' would fill my life with happiness and pride. I am the lazy one, I could not fathom posting on Craigslist only to spend time negotiating a buck here and there, it was easier dropping off to organizations that fill a need in the community. I believe other things will come our way now that I've made room. Things that mean more to me than $$. I also have to say that environmentally I am getting very conscious of of how this stuff is crowding ou world and resources.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:50 AM

56,026 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native ny View Post
I had no hesitation to donate - I felt as though it was giving back.... I will not replace everything I donated... I am sad that I thought 'stuff' would fill my life with happiness and pride. I am the lazy one, I could not fathom posting on Craigslist only to spend time negotiating a buck here and there, it was easier dropping off to organizations that fill a need in the community. I believe other things will come our way now that I've made room. Things that mean more to me than $$. I also have to say that environmentally I am getting very conscious of of how this stuff is crowding ou world and resources.
You're a good example. I like the way you think. Kudos.

I once felt bad that I couldn't afford the same things my friends and family had--a nice home, nice things. Late in life I finally got to buy a small condo, and I am happy with what I have. I no longer want a lot of stuff I once wished I had or a lot of space I don't need. As a matter of fact, a little too much stuff creeps up on me from time to time, and I pack it up and call the veteran's organization to come get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement