U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 AM

7,845 posts, read 4,434,819 times

Advertisements

I don't value the things either, but more money is always better when you're facing retirement with a paltry pension! Like you, though, I'm pretty sure I'm too lazy to haggle over a dollar here and a dollar there. Wish there were ways to sell this stuff on eBay by proxy. Auctioneers will sell them locally, but you don't get the national (international) audience that way -- and hence the biggest bang for the buck (commission).

Kudos on selling a piano -- even a fine piano. Most of us have to give THOSE away, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't value the things either, but more money is always better when you're facing retirement with a paltry pension! Like you, though, I'm pretty sure I'm too lazy to haggle over a dollar here and a dollar there. Wish there were ways to sell this stuff on eBay by proxy. Auctioneers will sell them locally, but you don't get the national (international) audience that way -- and hence the biggest bang for the buck (commission).

Kudos on selling a piano -- even a fine piano. Most of us have to give THOSE away, too!
We sold a piano last time we moved. It was a Yamaha upright and we got good money for it. We sold it to a piano dealer. New pianos are so expensive these days that there's a healthy market for used ones. FWIW - my advice in terms of buying a piano is to buy a really good one. Like a Yamaha or even a Steinway (if you're a good enough player to get good sound out of a Steinway - I'm not - I needed the "richness" of the Yamaha to cover up my lack of technique). Because they hold their resale value much better than the lesser brands. Robyn

Old 07-06-2016, 08:31 AM

I bought a Yamaha keyboard, instead (a really nice one). It's portable!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:36 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,993,806 times
Quote:
I bought a Yamaha keyboard, instead (a really nice one). It's portable!
I have one of those too. Also a Technics "upright" electronic keyboard. I still play once in a while. Robyn

Old 07-06-2016, 07:10 PM

2,658 posts, read 4,845,621 times
Quote:
Wish there were ways to sell this stuff on eBay by proxy.
There is a way, its called Ebay valet.

eBay Valet Program Lists, Sells and Ships Products for You

Old 07-07-2016, 10:47 AM

82 posts, read 61,728 times
We have an extra bed headboard and frame for a bed that I want to give away. I thought today I'd put it by the road, that guarantee's it'll be gone within an hour but my husband keeps saying we may need it. For what? Anyone else have anything you'd to get rid of but the spouse refuses?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 AM

I haven't even used a bedstead for years (I guess that's an embarrassing admission to make, or should be). One of my pets who likes to sleep with me can't jump very high and is actually so clumsy he tends to falls off the little set of steps, so I just stuck a mattress (with no box springs) on the floor... Works for us! But then, I don't have an SO to object...

Old 07-07-2016, 11:05 AM

6,407 posts, read 5,122,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post
We have an extra bed headboard and frame for a bed that I want to give away. I thought today I'd put it by the road, that guarantee's it'll be gone within an hour but my husband keeps saying we may need it. For what? Anyone else have anything you'd to get rid of but the spouse refuses?
Just ALL of HIS things. Lol

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
There is a way, its called Ebay valet.

eBay Valet Program Lists, Sells and Ships Products for You
Good to know, but...

"There are some guidelines as to what type of items the valets accept or donít accept. These include, items in poor condition, items worth less than $25, breakable items, high-value items that require authentication and more."

That describes...just about everything! And you have to find your own BOX, too?

Still, I'll look into it; thanks!

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,040,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post
Half the garage, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement