U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 11:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I haven't even used a bedstead for years (I guess that's an embarrassing admission to make, or should be). One of my pets who likes to sleep with me can't jump very high and is actually so clumsy he tends to falls off the little set of steps, so I just stuck a mattress (with no box springs) on the floor... Works for us! But then, I don't have an SO to object...
Way too heavy, out. Get a guest futon platform bed, lightweight wood like birch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 02:10 PM

82 posts, read 61,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Way too heavy, out. Get a guest futon platform bed, lightweight wood like birch
We have a $4,000.00 King size bed that raises up and down, I need it to sleep with my head elevated. We already have a guestroom bed, we simply don't need another.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:07 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Quote:
Question: What do you do with old letters you've received over the years, especially if (till now) you've never reread them and you're not sure you want anyone else to (or you just know they'll be dumped some day)? If you've tossed, do you feel you've lost an important "record" of correspondence though the sender(s) have moved out of your life or died?
Years ago I returned a few bundles of letters to the two friends who had sent them to me in the 1970s and 80s. They were thrilled to get them as they contained many accounts of happenings in their and their then young childrens' lives.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 PM

1,194 posts, read 665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Years ago I returned a few bundles of letters to the two friends who had sent them to me in the 1970s and 80s. They were thrilled to get them as they contained many accounts of happenings in their and their then young childrens' lives.
That was such a great idea to give those letters to your friends. Long distance phone calls were so expensive so people wrote letters instead. I was an exchange student in Europe for months when I was 16 and only had one phone call with my family but lots of letters.

My mother kept all the letters I ever sent her (many!) and they really brought back so many memories. I loved reading the details about the children's birthday parties, sports events, trips, school activities plus some funny things which happened. The letters were like a family diary. I took many photos through the years so the letters were a terrific storyline to go along with them. Some people wouldn't care but my family is quite sentimental.

Also, she kept all the grandchildren's little thank-you notes and letters to her and my dad from the time they began to write. She returned them all and every one of the many grandchildren enjoyed them.

My mother always regretted tossing the letters my dad wrote home during WW2 so that probably motivated her.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Some great articles on the current PBS "Next Avenue" for seniors:

The Art of Shedding Possessions - Next Avenue

Old 07-08-2016, 06:08 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,106,176 times
Quote:
Some great articles on the current PBS "Next Avenue" for seniors:

The Art of Shedding Possessions - Next Avenue
Heading to work, but I did save this link. ( like I need another one- have kon-maried already) . I do need help with letters and photos. hope this one sheds some new light. thank you for sharing.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:57 AM

223 posts, read 119,750 times
Said goodbye to the two concrete lions that used to guard my house. Leo (left side lion) and Roary (right). Sold on Craigs and they are off to their new home in K-town. Now for that incredibly heavy outdated TV. ...

Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,067,075 times
Giving away some extra pet supplies. Thought about keeping them, but do not plan on expanding my herd.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:27 AM

25,068 posts, read 23,960,691 times
I'm tackling the towel monster. I have enough towels for a family of ten! I have an adequate number of dish cloths and towels. Every other category is out of control. Fortunately, there are some dogs in the group, and some that I just don't like. I'm putting some aside to be used for cleaning, figuring out what I need or want, and I'll donate the rest.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,106,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm tackling the towel monster. I have enough towels for a family of ten! I have an adequate number of dish cloths and towels. Every other category is out of control. Fortunately, there are some dogs in the group, and some that I just don't like. I'm putting some aside to be used for cleaning, figuring out what I need or want, and I'll donate the rest.
Just a suggestion that for some that might not be quite donation worthy ---- if there are any animal shelters or rescue groups around they typically are happy for any of these as they go through so many and need laundering so often. I did that recently with mats,sheets and pillow cases as well. I know sometimes things might be in less than respectable shape but they still will certainly function for absorbing or cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement