Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times

Advertisements

awwwww {{{{{{{{MaryLee}}}}}}}.

If the dolls are clean bring them to the pediatric ward at the hospital, if they will take them.

If you have a print photo of your aunt who made the doll, prop the doll up on your mantle or somewhere homey and put the photo of your aunt in her lap, then take a photo of that and burn it to your hard drive.

JM2c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:19 PM

2015 Clutter Challenge: One Room at a Time | Next Avenue

Old 04-21-2015, 04:41 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
A good way to get rid of stuff is to put it outside on the curb with a price tag on it. Someone will steal it. (I'm from NY).

Old 04-21-2015, 05:24 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
One more thing, our local Staples office supply shop has a sign up that they do shredding, I don't recall the details in regards to a price or limits but something to look into as an alternative to doing it all at home if you are time crunched.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:27 PM

We put out more stuff the curb this AM, I swear, it was gone by the time we got back in the house!

In the past, I've given stuff to movers, neighbors, etc. like canned goods, kitchen stuff, house plants, etc. Seems no matter how much you purge, there's always stuff left over at the end you just need to dispose of!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I dropped off two boxes the other day to donation but I haven't been feeling well so no more has been sorted.
My next clean out though is going to be the pantries, I want to get things sent to the food pantry before the use by date has passed.
Hopefully tomorrow I will feel good enough to at least get that much done.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 PM

I just wonder---do people in other countries accumulate as much clutter as we do?

I knew a lot of people in Mexico at one time. Their homes never seemed overwhelmed with clutter. However it might have been just those I saw. The European homes I was familiar with did not seem overstuffed, either.

Perhaps shopping is not a pastime in other countries, like it is here? Perhaps people simply don't have the money for extras? Perhaps the average dwelling is smaller, lacking storage space, so you either use it or lose it?

Just wondering----

I also wonder if hoarding is as prevalent in other countries as it is here? What do they think of us when they see shows such as Hoarders?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 PM

I cleared out my Master Bathroom one last time. I had been sorting it for months, so I didn't think there was so much to be done, but it literally took me all afternoon! Ok, admittedly I move slowly. I have severe arthritis, and need a hip replacement ASAP. It was scheduled for March, but then this situation came up and I wanted to get moved and settled in, first. I do manage, but it takes time and effort. I must be careful not to overstrain or I end up not able to do anything for several hours. However, I do plug along

Today I packed one bag with makeup I currently use, then tossed the rest. Its just getting older, if I haven't used it by now! I sorted all my makeup brushes, then washed them in a baby shampoo mixture, then rinsed in a mild bleach solution, now are drying. Those brushes are too expensive to just toss!

Got rid of old medicines, past the expiration date, or anything oened and half-used.

Also, vowed NOT to chase the Clinique Bonus gifts anymore! I wait for Clinique Bonus time, then, buy my basic supplies, and get all those gifts, which I never use. I used to give some to my daughter, but she says its "Old Lady" makeup--- Hey, the little bags come in handy!

Also, threw away many of DS clothes. I've been telling him we are moving, he needs to sort out his clothes. He keeps stalling, saying oh, what's the rush? We've got all next week. Time has a way of passing! I did a major wash, including his clothes, then told him to sort what he wanted, the rest goes to Goodwill. Instead, he took off out the door and didn't come back until midnight. Well, I told him if he didn't take what he wanted, I was donating it. When he came home, it was a done deal, I don' think he even noticed, so why should I care? I also donated a lot of my own clothes. DD came and got what she wanted months ago.

We hired a moving company to come pack Thursday, move Friday. Then, we hired a cleaning crew to do a final clean on Saturday, walk-through Sunday. We still have until Tuesday to vacate, just under the wire.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:47 AM

ExNooYawk, LMAO!!!!!!

CDS, feel better soon. Hugs!

MaryLee, they are just as bad over there, I have an Irish friend who is constantly decluttering. She is young and a clothes horse, though.

Wow your move is really close! OMG!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 AM

Hey MaryLee, some rookies have revived your old thread!

What did you do today to get ready to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement