Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 12:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Our library does not take any text books. Our text books are quite old so I don't think they are worth much. We have a lot of things to do (to down size, to fix up the house, to check out possible new relocation places etc.) so we don't really have the time to try to sell items.

All our extra, not needed stuffs will either be donated/given away (library, goodwill, friends, neighbors, freecycle) or go to the dump.
I was amazed to find that some of my older textbooks were worth more than newer ones. Fundamentals seldom change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 01:08 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
If no one has mentioned it yet (haven't read the whole thread) - this is a great little book on the subject (written by someone who lives in Japan - where space is at a premium):

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing

http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Chang.../dp/1607747308

Note that most houses in Florida don't have basements or finished attics - so it's hard to accumulate a lot of junk you don't see once in a while. And - when you can't just forget about it - it's easier to get rid of. And not have it sit around accumulating dust. Robyn

Old 01-09-2016, 01:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If no one has mentioned it yet (haven't read the whole thread) - this is a great little book on the subject (written by someone who lives in Japan - where space is at a premium):

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing

Amazon.com: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing (8601421528498): Marie Kondo: Books

Note that most houses in Florida don't have basements or finished attics - so it's hard to accumulate a lot of junk you don't see once in a while. And - when you can't just forget about it - it's easier to get rid of. And not have it sit around accumulating dust. Robyn
Same here in Texas. So we fill up our garages and park the vehicles on the driveway

Old 01-09-2016, 04:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

the chairs we ordered recline back and have hassocks, so will be great to elevate the feet.

If your budget permits, can you rid yourself of something big and bulky and replace with chairs? Given that I'm growing older, I decided not to delay pleasure! And I love to read.
I've noticed over many years that more than two people (in a gathering) almost never sit on a couch built for three or even four. Three people on the typical couch is crowded and self-conscious. You can't turn sideways to the person next to you and converse. The couch is a lousy idea, imo, and most are so heavy they're nearly impossible to move.

I have a circle of seven comfortable lightweight (upholstered) chairs. I'm thinking of eliminating the couch and getting a few more chairs so everyone can have her/his own. What kind of chairs did you order, if I may ask? Can you post a link to a picture?

Old 01-09-2016, 04:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Same here in Texas. So we fill up our garages and park the vehicles on the driveway
People do that where I live too . Especially those that didn't throw away all their winter stuff when they moved to Florida. Or those who are door mats when it comes to taking stuff they don't want from their parents when their parents are down-sizing. We have a 3 car garage - one car - and almost no junk. We should probably rent out at least one parking space in our garage . Sometimes I throw away things and they wind up in the garage courtesy of my "we might need it in the future" husband. I clean out the garage once a year - so things don't get out of hand. I really hate clutter.

This past year - I tackled a small pile of hard drives from old computers that I didn't just want to throw away as is. Bought small torx screwdrivers so I could dismantle them. Broke them into little bits with a hammer - and then threw them away.

I get a commercial shredding outfit out here every couple of years to shred the sensitive documents I no longer need every couple of years. This year is the year! Can't wait to get rid of stuff like this. Robyn

Old 01-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe in your case downsizing means just reorganizing your boxes and labeling them.
I seem to be doing a lot of that, lol. I bring things downstairs from upstairs with the intention of getting rid, but wind up incorporating those things into the downstairs (like a large wicker trunk to hold quilts, now downstairs instead of up ). Or I reorganize boxes of writing and other papers, relabeling them. Sometimes I think all I do is rearrange in the name of downsizing.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
This past year - I tackled a small pile of hard drives from old computers that I didn't just want to throw away as is. Bought small torx screwdrivers so I could dismantle them. Broke them into little bits with a hammer - and then threw them away.
I just had a flash image of Maxine doing this, lol.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I've noticed over many years that more than two people (in a gathering) almost never sit on a couch built for three or even four. Three people on the typical couch is crowded and self-conscious. You can't turn sideways to the person next to you and converse. The couch is a lousy idea, imo, and most are so heavy they're nearly impossible to move.

I have a circle of seven comfortable lightweight (upholstered) chairs. I'm thinking of eliminating the couch and getting a few more chairs so everyone can have her/his own. What kind of chairs did you order, if I may ask? Can you post a link to a picture?
Sure thing...this is a close approximate of the chairs we ordered: Home Decor and Furniture from Shore Decor in Morehead City NC » Neutral No Stress Recliner With Ottoman

Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:

How about some love seats and single chairs? Those that want to sit next to each other can still do so.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:19 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:

I take naps on my sofa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement