Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 02:53 PM

813 posts, read 402,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm amazed at everyone who's so okay with just giving things away; even valuable things! I wish I could master my nagging feeling that I should try to recoup SOME of the cost of what I spend on this stuff (I definitely need the money), but as for now, I'm going to make an attempt to sell things locally on our office bulletin board and Facebook "yard sale."
No nagging feeling here. Just relief to get rid of unwanted things.

Paralyzed Vets send me an email about every 6 weeks or so asking if I have anything to donate. When I do, I just have to place the package at the front door on the appointed date. So simple. No fuss no muss and for a good cause. For certain items they do not take, I can put it on the curb in the morning and by afternoon, it has a new owner.

Why would I want to spend hours holding a yard sale to get a few bucks? It feels so much better to get rid of it fast, instead wasting time chasing an elusive dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
No nagging feeling here. Just relief to get rid of unwanted things.

Paralyzed Vets send me an email about every 6 weeks or so asking if I have anything to donate. When I do, I just have to place the package at the front door on the appointed date. So simple. No fuss no muss and for a good cause. For certain items they do not take, I can put it on the curb in the morning and by afternoon, it has a new owner.

Why would I want to spend hours holding a yard sale to get a few bucks? It feels so much better to get rid of it fast, instead wasting time chasing an elusive dollar.
I agree - and regularly schedule the pick ups. Probably once a month at a minimum. I have them coming July 10 and the pile of giveaways is growing. Mostly I give clothing and linens (hard to understand how much I must have to continue to give away) and the occasional household item.
For the household stuff - especially the larger items, our freecycle group is quite active and very efficient.

We actually have begun packing ( the move is a month away) and began with the breakables- dishes, tchotchkes, glasses... so I handle each item and think to myself, do I want to bring this? I have quite a few nice decorative pieces that are attractive but have no meaning to me and I don't love. I don't have the patience for a yard sale. We listed some on ebay and will see but I suspect they wont sell. Will likely offer on freecycle and they will get taken. As much as I look through my stuff and purge- I am amazed at how much there is.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
We will be going the garage sale route, as we are looking to get rid of most of our furniture as well. And my husband has even more band equipment which he will be either selling via Facebook's musician groups or just by word of mouth. I may try that route too for the furniture...

Old 06-29-2018, 10:12 AM

705 posts, read 561,967 times
I have hung onto a lifetime of photo's. We have boxes and boxes of slides, pictures and many photo albums. I'm putting them all in boxes for the trash pickup on Thursday. The ONLY one I'm keeping is our wedding album, not ready to let that go yet. There is nobody to leave all these memories to and there is really no reason to hang onto them.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:58 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I have hung onto a lifetime of photo's. We have boxes and boxes of slides, pictures and many photo albums. I'm putting them all in boxes for the trash pickup on Thursday. The ONLY one I'm keeping is our wedding album, not ready to let that go yet. There is nobody to leave all these memories to and there is really no reason to hang onto them.
Too bad you don't want to at least scan them into digital form.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:16 AM

705 posts, read 561,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Too bad you don't want to at least scan them into digital form.
There are two reasons we decided not to scan them.

1. There is nobody to leave these to. When we're gone they'll end up in a dumpster.

2. It would literally take years to scan all the photo's and slides we have. I know this because we have a photo and slide scanner.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I am fully downsized to my small house in Colorado. I see great stuff available on the local community bulletin board and know that I have no place to put it and don't need anything. I do have one rolling duffle bag (never used) that is almost full, waiting for my last pass at clothing. I seem to wear the same stuff every day and, having a tiny w/d, wash the same stuff every few days and wear it again. I am keeping the "in case of a wedding/funeral" clothes (last wore the dress for a wedding in 2013).

If I moved to a CCRC 1-bedroom (my disaster plan for old age, near Denver, an Erickson community) I'd have to get rid of a futon couch and some books.

Now, I had an advantage- always lived alone, didn't raise kids in a big house, etc. Still, it is some time since I put everything I owned in a VW Rabbit in 1978.

It feels really good to be down to so little (for me).

Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 AM

716 posts, read 557,215 times
I was surprised to see it costs hundreds of dollars for a service to scan photos.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I was surprised to see it costs hundreds of dollars for a service to scan photos.
It is labor intensive. Unless you are operating multiple scanners at the same time. Plus most people have pictures in their possession that are crap too. I think probably half of the pictures I have are of a quality or aesthetic appeal to really warrant scanning. I have literally thousands of pictures and negatives in large boxes. I went through several versions of film and cameras. Some are of stuff I have no idea why I took the picture of.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:36 AM

812 posts, read 795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am fully downsized to my small house in Colorado...

...Now, I had an advantage- always lived alone, didn't raise kids in a big house, etc. Still, it is some time since I put everything I owned in a VW Rabbit in 1978.

It feels really good to be down to so little (for me).
This sounds great! Very freeing, I'd imagine. We are just beginning with the real junk-throwing-out job. I hope eventually we'll be at least close to de-cluttered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement