U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:50 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times

Advertisements

I have to chuckle at those who evince pension envy for those of us who have government pensions replete with COLAs. Our COLA increases will appear in next month's payments and amount to a gross and walloping $70.00 a month. Better than nothing. That will pay for an OK dinner out minus a bottle of nice wine or a tank and a half of gas. I'll take it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,855,118 times
Just another point here. If you are buying you will not be in a rich neighborhood but you will enjoy the climate better and if you are home bodies which I would think if your wife is collecting disability there are lots to do locally and in the surrounding areas. But the key point here is Florida is very humid where Palm Springs is an oasis in the middle of a desert. Much much nicer weather. This from someone who is an east coaster and will probably stay.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Just another point here. If you are buying you will not be in a rich neighborhood but you will enjoy the climate better and if you are home bodies which I would think if your wife is collecting disability there are lots to do locally and in the surrounding areas. But the key point here is Florida is very humid where Palm Springs is an oasis in the middle of a desert. Much much nicer weather. This from someone who is an east coaster and will probably stay.
"Oasis" or not, Palm Springs is still a very upscale area and blisteringly hot during much of the year. Besides, it has no ocean. In fact, given the drought it may have no water soon.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:26 PM

34,705 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I have to chuckle at those who evince pension envy for those of us who have government pensions replete with COLAs. Our COLA increases will appear in next month's payments and amount to a gross and walloping $70.00 a month. Better than nothing. That will pay for an OK dinner out minus a bottle of nice wine or a tank and a half of gas. I'll take it!
It covers my annual rent and health insurance increases.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:56 PM

3,351 posts, read 3,056,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"Oasis" or not, Palm Springs is still a very upscale area and blisteringly hot during much of the year. Besides, it has no ocean. In fact, given the drought it may have no water soon.
The greater Palm Springs area is actually a very large area, the Coachella Valley, and made up 8 different cities. Some are very upscale. Others are now.

And to whomever made the homosexual comment. Really? Kind of like saying watch out for the meth heads in Tennessee?

Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,018,899 times
keep looking your money can go further in other locations.

here's a great link: How Much $100 Is Really Worth in Every State

Old 04-04-2015, 01:52 PM

12,290 posts, read 12,529,205 times
My wife and I get about $75k from pensions and SS. We own our home outright in a very low property tax area that only costs us $1500/year for some pretty nice digs on 93 acres. We don't owe anybody any money. We have about $1k a month left over after all expenses, so we haven't had to touch our retirement savings.

You may do better moving to a cheaper place to live, like New Mexico. You could live really well on that income if you move to Costa Rica. You could qualify for immigrant status there on that income.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:44 PM

4,733 posts, read 2,556,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBchDino View Post
54 married I am looking at retiring at age 59. How am I looking? At 60 I will ve getting 24k a year from the military and 20k a year from Va state pension. I'm looking at collecting SS at 65. We will downsize our house and buy one out right. My wife is older then I am. She us getting 12k in SS and 6k in Va disability. We are looking at Palm Springs Ca or Jacksonville Fl to retire.
Palm Springs, CA is likely too expensive for your income and I don't know if this matters to you or not, but it has a very large, conspicuous and growing older gay male population. You might prefer Palm Desert, but it's even more expensive, and also more isolated.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Your income is okay for both areas. You can find some affordable houses in Palm Springs. Weather there is better then Jacksonville. Jacksonville is a bit too congested for my liking but that is all your feelings. Someone mentioned a large homosexual area in Palm Springs. Please do not let that sway you. They are people too. It is known though as popular in that community. Still I enjoyed the week I spent there and will travel back there to visit again sexual orientation not withstanding. The wife didn't go with me when I went because she was working.
Thanks for the info My wife and I spent 10 days there last month. We loved it. We loved the hiking, the arts, and the restaurants. We know that the temps will be in the 100-115 during the summer. We are planning to travel during the summer or buy a condo up north and become a snow bird. As for the large gay district, who cares they are right to live anywhere.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:51 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,819,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBchDino View Post
54 married I am looking at retiring at age 59. How am I looking? At 60 I will ve getting 24k a year from the military and 20k a year from Va state pension. I'm looking at collecting SS at 65. We will downsize our house and buy one out right. My wife is older then I am. She us getting 12k in SS and 6k in Va disability. We are looking at Palm Springs Ca or Jacksonville Fl to retire.
What are you going to do for health insurance? What will $62,000 be after taxes? If you have to pay $1,200 a month for health insurance until you're 65, I think you're cutting it close. Do you have any nest egg at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or