U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Reputation: 33750

Advertisements

I just want to add that a few posters have said that if the people are so sick that they require a/c or oxygen or ?? then they should be in assisted living. You can't get into assisted living unless you can afford it. These are people who do not have a lot of money, they are living in subsidized housing. So I don't understand how anyone can think that they can go into assisted living. Unless I am missing something.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just want to add that a few posters have said that if the people are so sick that they require a/c or oxygen or ?? then they should be in assisted living. You can't get into assisted living unless you can afford it. These are people who do not have a lot of money, they are living in subsidized housing. So I don't understand how anyone can think that they can go into assisted living. Unless I am missing something.
The USG has an ALCP program for poor seniors that need assisted living
Multifamily Housing - Program Description - HUD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 12:14 AM
 
10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Reputation: 17029
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just want to add that a few posters have said that if the people are so sick that they require a/c or oxygen or ?? then they should be in assisted living. You can't get into assisted living unless you can afford it. These are people who do not have a lot of money, they are living in subsidized housing. So I don't understand how anyone can think that they can go into assisted living. Unless I am missing something.
Just because they can't afford to get into assisted living doesn't mean apartment complexes must offer them the enhanced services they need.

A little research suggests the term "independent living" might vary from state-to-state. Here in Texas, it refers to age-restricted housing that doesn't provide any assistance with any activities of daily living. Independent living complexes provide age-restricted "accessible" units (elevators, wide doorways, handles and bars in baths, etc.) but offer no services beyond that. Transportation and communal meals may or may not be offered; if available, they're an add-on service for which the residents pay. They don't provide mobility or other assistance even in cases of emergency. It wouldn't be an appropriate placement for someone 80+ who depends upon oxygen and a walker.
As near as I can determine, HUD subsidies here don't require medical or other assisted living services in complexes designated as 'independent living'.

Maybe it's different in your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 12:54 AM
 
10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Reputation: 17029
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Let's say the owner of the subsidized complex is getting market rate of $800/month for the apartments. Some seniors may only be paying $200/month out of their pocket, but other govt sources are making up the $600. The owner gets market rate for those apartments with total income of $800/unit.
I'm still trying to run this down, hard to do on a weekend, but near as I can tell so far it doesn't appear to be the case at all here in TX.
Any subsidy (and of course there's one) appears here to kick in at time of construction. Could be different in your state, you could save me some legwork by giving your source for the above, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 03:38 AM
 
Location: Tonawanda NY
400 posts, read 462,487 times
Reputation: 700
Back up generator is a good investment in this situation. Friend just had them installed on his senior and disabled buildings. He bought the natural gas powered units and rents for future tenants went up a little to cover the weekly test. Panic alone in buildings like this can create medical emergencies. Darkness and lack of power can cause a senior to hurt themselves seeking out help. Seniors also have meds in fridges, some have at home dialysis machines running. AC in the hallways, hmmm wasteful. And having an onsite person to get bombarded with complaints is not a good idea, keep them at a short call away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
Reputation: 35305
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm still trying to run this down, hard to do on a weekend, but near as I can tell so far it doesn't appear to be the case at all here in TX.
Any subsidy (and of course there's one) appears here to kick in at time of construction. Could be different in your state, you could save me some legwork by giving your source for the above, please?
Nope, you can do your own legwork. But, if these are "subsidized," who is paying the difference (the "subsidy") and who are they paying it to? Start there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
Reputation: 35305
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Just because they can't afford to get into assisted living doesn't mean apartment complexes must offer them the enhanced services they need.
They're simply asking for dependable electricity. Not caviar delivered by a pool boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,268 posts, read 12,511,970 times
Reputation: 19430
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
Back up generator is a good investment in this situation. Friend just had them installed on his senior and disabled buildings. He bought the natural gas powered units and rents for future tenants went up a little to cover the weekly test. Panic alone in buildings like this can create medical emergencies. Darkness and lack of power can cause a senior to hurt themselves seeking out help. Seniors also have meds in fridges, some have at home dialysis machines running. AC in the hallways, hmmm wasteful. And having an onsite person to get bombarded with complaints is not a good idea, keep them at a short call away.
Generators are required by law at senior facilities in Oregon. AC is not, but we don't get the murderous heat waves that you get back east. Heat can be life threatening for the elderly if they can't manage to fill a bathtub with cold water and climb into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
They're simply asking for dependable electricity. Not caviar delivered by a pool boy.
^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM
 
491 posts, read 598,360 times
Reputation: 2095
I'm thinking generators and a little AC would be a LOT cheaper than assisted living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top