U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times

Advertisements

We have a LOT of senior housing going up. I wonder what will become of all of those buildings after the Boomers have passed on. Non-subsidized apartments?

Anyway, our newer 1 BR units run between 550-600 SF. I like the ones run by CSI (coop) and the ones run by Catholic Charities. I saw one CSI floor plan that had a bay window in the living/dining room. I really liked that! OTOH, the housing run by Catholic Charities provides additional services such as meals, help with meds, housekeeping and personal care, as needed. All of the buildings have access to cable, some have wireless, they all seem to allow dogs, provide activities, transportation, etc. Some are downtown and have secluded courtyards, some are further out and are surrounded by trees. Most, if not all, have secure parking. Heat and A/C ? Of course, it's Baltimore.

Icing on the cake:

The ones downtown are within walking distance of the museums, library, etc. Also, Johns Hopkins Bayview has a program where they send Geriatricians and Nurse Practitioners into the senior homes that are within a certain radius of the hospital.

Oh, wait! No washer or dryer in the apts. The laundry facilities are in each building. Dang. I was so ready to get on a few wait lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:39 PM

18,124 posts, read 23,000,049 times
The tax properties have to agree to keep the units as low-income for 15 years, then they can do what they want. Here's a site designed to attract investor banks to get into subsidized housing tax properties:

http://www.occ.gov/static/community-...nlowincome.htm

Low income housing is big business.

I do live in a climate where I can get out every few days. Here in far north CA on the coast, it rains a few days, then it's sunny a few days. Never too hot, never too cold. Cool and mild year-round. This is how I handle my small space. But, truly, if you don't have company much, you don't need a lot of space. If you spend most of your at-home time sitting at the computer or watching movies or cooking, who cares if that's all done in the same room? Takes time and an attitude adjustment, but if you decorate your space nicely, and put up a bunch of shelves, etc., you can be fine - provided, as you say, you're not home-bound. But, really, even then, who cares. Why do you need more space than the space between you and your sewing table or the TV?

My building has a laundromat inside the building. To be honest, I bought a tiny apt washer/spinner that allows me to wash my clothes inside my apt, and I just dry them in my shower. I hate spending money on laundry, and hate going to the laundromat. Hang the clothes in the bathroom, add a heater and a big fan, turn on the overhead vent, close the door, and your clothes are dry within hours.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 PM

25,063 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I am glad you're happy -- and I mean that. But I have a touch of claustrophobia and I just can't even begin to see myself living in that small a space. I live in 600 sq. ft., right now, and all I have is my cat; a computer/computer desk (rather large); 4 bookcases -- full of good nonfiction and classic fiction; my clothes; and two comfortable living room chairs -- and the place is too small for me. I don't even have a kitchenette table and chairs -- I don't have even a small dining room!

But I'm in the process of moving into a large place -- 800+ - in a 55+ retirement community.

I will never qualify for subsidized housing -- well, I probably won't -- but I'd willingly pay more taxes for those in subsidized housing to have larger, nicer apartments.
Can I say this here? I'd rather die. I grew up in a small city in an average size house with a postage stamp sized backyard. I hated it. I loved visiting my best friend in the suburbs. We camped in the yard and built a tree house in the woods. My eldest brother, the Eagle scout, kept me out of the house very often. I don't want to live in a small space. I don't think that I could stand it.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Can I say this here? I'd rather die. I grew up in a small city in an average size house with a postage stamp sized backyard. I hated it. I loved visiting my best friend in the suburbs. We camped in the yard and built a tree house in the woods. My eldest brother, the Eagle scout, kept me out of the house very often. I don't want to live in a small space. I don't think that I could stand it.
If it was your only option, you would learn to cope. Or be miserable. It's all about attitude.

I watched a documentary on happiness tonight on Amazon Prime, and it's so true about where happiness comes from. It's not about how big your apartment is, etc., but in your attitude.

I admit I cried when I first saw this apartment. I knew I wanted to move here for the weather, and this was my best option. But, I originally felt so claustrophobic. Then, I decided to try and look at options. In this tiny space, I have figured out how to have a sleeping space, a kitchen space, a sitting space (with my laptop) a sewing space, and a leather-working space (my hobbies), as well as extra storage space for all of the above, and extra food storage (I like to can).

And if you look at it as a fun game, trying to figure out how to organize your space, you can find a good attitude about it.

It's all about how you look at things. Okay, what can I change and what do I have to accept? You're more adaptable than you think.

But, back to the OP, I'm not so zen as to not fight for my rights here ha ha. Try to make me put up with substandard housing, and you will see a lioness before you. I'm not that zen.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:28 AM

4,979 posts, read 3,466,540 times
After reading most of this, I am so happy I chose to live in & was approved for the senior housing I am moving into. I had a choice of a 1 bedroom on the first floor or as 2 Bedroom on the 2nd floor. Yes, the 2 bedroom was much bigger, I elected to take the 1 bedroom because I just can't walk far & in the long run, getting groceries to the 2nd floor would be painful for me. There is a plus that laundry is right down the hall & there is a large community room as well as a wonderful outdoor setting for folks. I think I will be happy there.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Oh, wait! No washer or dryer in the apts. The laundry facilities are in each building. Dang. I was so ready to get on a few wait lists.
There are small portable washers (on wheels) that hook up to your kitchen faucet. Check out the Danby Twin Tub for apartments.

Danby 2.26 cu ft Twin Tub Washing Machine with Spin Dry, White - Walmart.com

Under "specifications" you can watch a demonstration video. A few folding racks for drying and you're good to go.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,336,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I am glad you're happy -- and I mean that. But I have a touch of claustrophobia and I just can't even begin to see myself living in that small a space. I live in 600 sq. ft., right now, and all I have is my cat; a computer/computer desk (rather large); 4 bookcases -- full of good nonfiction and classic fiction; my clothes; and two comfortable living room chairs -- and the place is too small for me. I don't even have a kitchenette table and chairs -- I don't have even a small dining room!

But I'm in the process of moving into a large place -- 800+ - in a 55+ retirement community.

I will never qualify for subsidized housing -- well, I probably won't -- but I'd willingly pay more taxes for those in subsidized housing to have larger, nicer apartments.
That's me, too, and I feel exactly the same way. My retirement income is likely to always be too high for me to qualify for rental subsidies or even to have my SS untaxed because my pension has a COLA, but I feel blessed that I have been so fortunate economically. I'd rather see my tax money go to less fortunate people than to enriching the already rich or killing people in other countries.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are small portable washers (on wheels) that hook up to your kitchen faucet. Check out the Danby Twin Tub for apartments.

Under "specifications" you can watch a demonstration video. A few folding racks for drying and you're good to go.
I got an even cheaper one that's a little smaller. If you get one, be sure and use a lot of lint catching socks and strainers - the lint that comes out is amazing. I just hang my clothes in the bathroom, turn on a big fan and a little heater in there, turn on the overhead vent fan, close the door and voila! They're dry in just a few hours and I didn't have to go to the laundry room and pay $3 per tiny load to wash and dry in their machines. I put it on a dolly with wheels, and it fits under my kitchen table (tall bistro height table).

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact-...s=panda+washer

I bought a Square Trade warranty on the washer, too, for 2 years. I think it cost around $30. That way, I know I'll have a working washer for at least 2 years.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:37 PM

950 posts, read 715,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
After reading most of this, I am so happy I chose to live in & was approved for the senior housing I am moving into. I had a choice of a 1 bedroom on the first floor or as 2 Bedroom on the 2nd floor. Yes, the 2 bedroom was much bigger, I elected to take the 1 bedroom because I just can't walk far & in the long run, getting groceries to the 2nd floor would be painful for me. There is a plus that laundry is right down the hall & there is a large community room as well as a wonderful outdoor setting for folks. I think I will be happy there.
I wish you well in your new home !

Old 04-07-2015, 05:20 PM

19,859 posts, read 18,881,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

But check first to make sure they are allowed. The senior subsidized apartments in MA that I know of would throw you out if you had one. There are scant closets to hide it in too so if anyone did have one they'd probably have to disguise it. Maybe put it in a box, cover it with a long tablecloth and pretend it's a table.

Those places have strict inspections either once or twice a year and they holler at people for having too much stuff. I had a friend.........they used to come around and scream at her and write her up and tell her to get rid of stuff. She did not have a lot of stuff either. My mother, in the place where they lived during the summer (snowbirds) had a stacking washer and dryer which I liked. It was in a laundry closet. But subsidized senior housing doesn't allow that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or