U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 AM

6,353 posts, read 7,838,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you absolutely can't afford a smart phone, then I would stick with what I had. We did upgrade in 2012 when we moved cross country. We now count on our phones for so much every day. We have Iphones, and we do not regret making that decision. However, we are able to get a decent monthly rate through Sprint. There are deals to be had through TMobile, and Sprint. Do some research.

I do think that having one computer going forward is not enough to keep abreast of current technology. You need smart phones, or a tablet too. So much is happening in mobile computing. If you lag far enough behind, you can't catch up, IMO. So, it is best to stay somewhat current. At least that is my opinion.

But you are right that mobile technology is costly.
"Going forward" is not a high priority. I'm 79 years old and I'm not sure how much "forward" is in my future.

I have a laptop. I have a TracFone, LG800G. I have a Kindle. I have a land line with voice mail. I have cable. I have a car. I have indoor plumbing.

We all have our "needs" and for the most part, mine are fulfilled. More technology won't fill my void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM

5,968 posts, read 5,319,572 times
No type of phone for the last 2 years other than a landline. Lowest cost one they have. No long distance, caller ID or Call Waiting.

If I am out doing something why would I want someone to call me? I have OnStar in the car so emergencies are covered.

About $33 a month for both.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:42 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,584,621 times
Having a cell phone is limiting my access to peace.

So sometimes I 'forget' it at home.

Ah serenity.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:10 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,575,594 times
I don't care that much about "mobile computing". I have my iPhone and have used it on occasion to find an address but that's about it.

But I am keen on VR and follow the developments on that.
I've tried early prototype versions and got VR sickness so I can't be on the cutting edge of that
It's not even that expensive..$350 for the VR development kit (for programmers, not consumers).

But once they overcome that...I'll be the first on line to buy a pair of Oculus Rift glasses.
As close as we can come today to Star Trek's holodeck.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:28 PM

4,376 posts, read 3,714,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
How many of us older retired people still use old flip phone or have come into the 21 centry with a Iphone or smart phone, Do you think it is silly for us retired people to get this expensive smart phone service. That what some of my friends are telling me

I am retireing in in the next 2 years at age 64 or 66 will receive social security, but my wife is still working and we have that old type flip phone with no internet except our computers. Our cost with service will go up a 100 dollars a month with iphone
Flip phone for regular use. Smart phone that uses WiFi only. Use for email and a few internet functions. Screen is small so limited use. No monthly payments.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:09 PM

21,950 posts, read 14,428,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why is it necesssary to keep up with current technology if an individual has devices that present the same information?

What makes you believe that everyone needs mobile computing?

Catch up to what? The latest fad?

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and often bring it with me when going out as I wish to always have reading material at hand. However, if I'm reading a physical book that I don't plan to finish fairly soon the Kindle remains at home unless I anticipate the need for a dictionary or wikipedia articles.

When I had hip replacement surgery I was away twice for several days. I was just fine and dandy without a computer. I did have my basic cell phone as well as my Kindle Paperwhite and some physical books. The Kindle Paperwhite is not designed to ''surf the web.'' Nothing occurred on the first trip to cause me to bring additional electronic devices on the second. I made sure that bills were paid ahead and didn't make any purchases or involve myself in any auctions prior to leaving.

I'm willing to spend money to satisfy my needs and desires, but I won't spend a quarter to impress people.
I don't think mobile computing is a fad. Already younger people do not have full size computers, but manage on tablets and smartphones. At least some of them do this. Go to Best Buy and try to locate a full sized desk computer. They are few and far between. And the laptops are smaller and lighter. My DH insisted on buying a desktop about three years ago, and that is what I'm typing on now. But I think these will be used less and less at home. People will have more mobile devices, not fewer, in the immediate future.

When my mom in her eighties realized that everything was online, and she couldn't go online, she bought a computer later in life. It was too late for her to learn how to use it. She had waited too long to learn. Of course, mobile computing is easier in some respects than the computers of the early aughts. But this is the wave of the future. And I don't want to left behind.

One of drivers that pushed us to get smarphones was the fact that we anticipated that we would no longer have a landline. That did not happen, but we use our smartphones exclusively now. And we don't place calls much anymore. Our kids want texts. We can't even count on them reading email. Younger folks hate getting phone calls! So we text. And, our grandkids play on our phones. (Our kids won't let our grands play on theirs, but we do!)

Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,597,987 times
Normally pretty comfy with tech stuff, and even experimented for awhile to see if my smartphone would make a decent "micro-computer". But eventually went back to a "lo-tech" phone when I realized I preferred mostly making, and answering, phone calls with just the touch of a single button, the 'old school' way… rather than navigating an "interface" that often takes at least 3 movements just to do very the same thang!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM

14,054 posts, read 20,393,173 times
2 iPhones
T-Mobile
$28/mo for both. Piggyback on daughter's family plan.
I figure it is fair as she was on our family plan for over a decade.
Like iPhone as am Apple fanboi. Synch is useful.
Nocs is favorite app.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:42 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,972,796 times
I am glad I am not alone here. Both of us retired, wife barely knows how to use the flip phone. LOL An iPhone would be a waste of money. I have a little Nokia flip phone that I love that fits in my shirt pocket. We both have prepaid Verizon plans so there is no monthly bill. For 100 dollars a year or so , I have all that I need. If I could get a iPhone or smartphone prepaid plan, I might consider upgrading. However, I really don't need it as I like my laptop and use it for internet and email. Yes, we could afford it but WHY??

Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 PM

477 posts, read 399,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
...mobile computing is easier in some respects than the computers of the early aughts. But this is the wave of the future. And I don't want to left behind.
I spent decades as a software engineer on the bleeding edge of technology. I figure I've earned my right to be a Luddite - if that were actually what I was doing. But I'm not.

Nobody should buy a computer at Best Buy. I used to build my own, but the last 2 were purchased online. I just can't see well enough and my hands are too fumbly. I have mine built by an online builder now.

A data phone does not replace a tablet which does not replace a netbook which does not replace a laptop which does not replace a desktop computer. I have a desktop computer for my daily needs and would never consider anything else for that purpose. I have a netbook which more than fills any need for connectivity while roaming about - mostly used in libraries and whatnot these days.

My data phone is useless as a computing device. The screen is too small, the touch keyboards are too hard for me to use, and frankly I don't feel the need to be constantly online anyway. I don't even have it set up for e-mail. My e-mail can dang well wait until I get around to it. And its functionality as a phone as been severely degraded in exchange for making it work well to play Angry Birds.

The screen size on even the largest cell phone is simply too small to make for pleasant surfing, or anything else other than reading the weather banner. IMO its even too small for GPS. My eyes are as old as the rest of me - and they're not up to seeing much of anything on that teeny tiny screen.

Cell phones are lousy computing devices. They're about as useful as a Gameboy - and largely serve the same purpose. They're optimized to play games and text, and that's about it. Now that I've had one for about 6 months, I can tell how little use it is to me. When the contract on this expires and it experiences forced upgrade - as another poster noted, new firmware speeds up the process of a phone becoming obsolete - it'll be gone, I'll go to one of the pay-as-you-go flip phones with no data plan, and I'll never miss the data phone at all.

I think there IS a useful purpose for mobile phones, for emergencies, 911, to call AAA, etc. But that purpose is adequately served without having to have a data phone at 10x the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or