U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times

Advertisements

So far BH and I have flip phones.

Yeah we know, so 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:22 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,298,666 times
My FLIP phone is $15.46 per month........
The wife and granddaughter have smart phones, Apple 4s... the phone bill for both of them is appx $140 plus fees, taxes etc... total runs around $172 per month for all three. If I could talk them into a flip phone our total phone bill would be around $60.00 per month total. yea, I like my flip.......Apple would go out of business if they waited for me to buy one...LOL

Last edited by Litefoot; 04-05-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 07:45 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I pay $35 a month for a Moto G smartphone with Cricket. I get unlimited calls, text, and 2.5 GB of data a month, which is more than I will ever use since I am usually on WiFi.

That phone replaces:

A GPS
An alarm clock
An am/fm radio
A TV
Much of my mail

My phone cost me a whopping $25 ($100- $75 rebate) and does everything my wife's iPhone does.

It is on the AT&T network which means I will get good coverage (except in NE).
Yes, you can certainly have cheap smart phones with reasonable monthly plan or very cheap prepaid plans.

iphone are very expensive, Android phones like your Motorola G do everything that an iphone does and can be had at much cheaper prices.

Walmart currently has the Cricket MotoG for $49.95 with no required plan.

I got a Motorola Droid Pro XT610 for $25 on ebay (it was advertised as used but looked brand new & with 1 month warranty). Current prices running around $30. My brother got one last year and told me that Verizon changed to 4G models so the market was flooded with new or nearly new Droid Pro. Any Verizon network phone (with the exception of iphone which may need some hacking) will work with prepaid PagePlus Cellular which has the same reliable and wide-coverage Verizon network.

PPC now has 4G monthly plan for $29.95/month. The no-contract prepaid monthly plan starts at $12. Pay as you go plan starts at $10 (100 minutes) good for 120 days or about $2.5/month! This is the plan which we have been using for many years. The unused minutes rollover so each of our phone now has thousands of minutes. The plans cover voice, text and data. I have not used the data plan to log on the internet for a while so I don't remember what is the cost/mb of data. My recollection is that it was quite reasonable (5 cents/MB)

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
I'm 77 and I retired my flip phone two years ago for an Iphone 5 just because I wanted one. My wife got an Iphone this year.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:41 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
DH has a simple flip phone, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I LOVE my phone. It's large enough for me to read without my glasses! Seriously, I would not be without my smart phone. I was a fairly late adopter of cellphones in general. I don't like being "on-call" all the time. However I discovered a great phone feature...the off button. I turn it off when I don't want calls, what a concept. I love having the internet at my beck and call to answer stupid questions, save my lost butt with GPS, find the nearest ??whatever??, make reservations on the fly while traveling, so many other uses. The voice control app is great, I can simply ask the phone a question for the internet, or tell it to set an alarm, or make a call or even type a text for me. We purposely have just one, since DH almost never uses his and we're together about 85% of the time anyway. Why get two?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:43 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,522,564 times
Despite being a techhie, I held on to my no-frills phone (not a flip-phone, but the last cellphone that didn't have photo capability) until DH bought me a smartphone. It took me a few months to start taking advantage of all the bells and whistles, but now I use it for stuff like games (to while away time), Yelp searches, geocaching ...

I find myself using my desktop Mac less and less as time goes on. When it bites the dust, I may or may not replace it.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:14 AM

477 posts, read 398,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
How many of us older retired people still use old flip phone or have come into the 21 centry with a Iphone or smart phone, Do you think it is silly for us retired people to get this expensive smart phone service. That what some of my friends are telling me

I am retireing in in the next 2 years at age 64 or 66 will receive social security, but my wife is still working and we have that old type flip phone with no internet except our computers. Our cost with service will go up a 100 dollars a month with iphone
I have a data phone because my old flip phone up and died, and a new one from Verizon would have cost me $200. A data phone cost me $1. And my son, whose account I am on (actually, he took over MY account due to my failing health) already had a data plan.

I hate my data phone. The screen is one of the largest available - but its near impossible to read. "Zooming" in and out often results in unwanted link openings. The "touch" keyboard is tiny and difficult to use. There is a "writing" function that lets you trace words with your fingertip, but it is incredibly wonky - it'll go along just fine and then just can't interpret anything you're writing, and you have to back up and fix the unintelligible text it inserts - sometimes it doesn't insert anything at all, just skips whatever you just wrote.

It gets TERRIBLE reception. In fact, every phone I've had since my original Nokia, gosh, what's it been now, 15? 20? years ago has gotten worse and worse reception. That thing was the size of a landline's handset, but it got GREAT reception. You cannot find a phone like that now. I can be sitting in my house in the middle of town (a LARGE town, big city actually) within a couple miles of a tower, and the phone will drop calls or cut in and out like I'm driving through a dead spot.

I think they are useless. The only thing I actually use on it other than the phone is the GPS, and you can buy better GPS systems for your car with larger, easier to read displays.

All in all, if I want to use data capabilities, I want a 4G capable netbook. Not that they make them. But in reality, I don't really need data capabilities, and if I do, I can go home and do that, or find a wifi hotspot and use the netbook. I can read my netbook, it has a real keyboard, and its about the size of a hardback book (only a lot thinner, LOL!). I don't need a google account or whatever the equivalent is for an iPad to use it, it works just like my computer at home, I can even Skype with it.

I would much rather my phone functioned well as a PHONE, with the good reception I got 20 years ago but can't get now, and leave computer stuff to computers.

Keep your angry birds! I want the technology that was even older than flip-phones, back when strong reception was the most important thing in designing and manufacturing a cell phone!

Old 04-05-2015, 09:15 AM

381 posts, read 352,235 times
I have a flip phone (paid by one son thru his family plan $100 per year) and I have a smart phone with a prepaid plan thru PTEL (another son purchased). Husband has smart phone (Android/PTEL) because another son put a GPS thingy on it since DH has dementia. If I need to make an appointment or talk serious business I use the flip phone thru T-Mobile. I do not like the smart phone but the son who furnished that wants to communicate thru texting. I must pick up young grandson occasionally. Additionally, I got a home phone (thru Time Warner Cable) so I can talk with my many sisters for hours on end and know that the call won't be dropped. Too many phones?? DH can still answer home phone and I believe he could still dial someone for an emergency. There is no way he can really remember how to use a smart phone.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:17 AM

6,048 posts, read 3,869,242 times
Don't have a land line. Just one small flip phone. The flip phone was given to us free when we switched to it and got away from AT&T, $10 a month for 150 minutes. Thats it, works well for us.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:22 AM

477 posts, read 398,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Old fashioned here. Both have flip phones and I wonder sometimes if I should get a smart phone mostly because I'd like a phone with a good camera in it.

But all I use my phone for is in the car if there is an emergency. I'm retired so I'm not running around going to all sorts of places where I have to constantly keep in touch. I have a landline to call people.

The negatives of the smart phone seem to be the ongoing cost and needing to sign up for a contract as well as the tiny flip phone fits neatly into the small wrislet purse that I use. I travel light.
Keep in mind, when trying to use a camera in a data phone outdoors in sunlight, you will not be able to see on the screen what you are trying to take a picture of. The phone feature on cell phones is pretty nearly useless. I use it - but only because I can't afford a REAL camera yet, and nearly always indoors for quick snaps.

Since film has become nearly impossible to find for my old Pentax SLR, its a sad white elephant. Many digital cameras also rely on the invisible-in-the-sun screens. I need a digital camera with through-the-lens viewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or