U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,018,567 times

Advertisements

I am quite happy with my land line, no cell phone in my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 389,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
my iPhone is always on my body except when I'm sleeping or bathing.
When you receive a text at the dinner table and another person at the table has sent "Please pass the salt", maybe you'll stop to think about the grasp the technology has on your life.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
When you receive a text at the dinner table and another person at the table has sent "Please pass the salt", maybe you'll stop to think about the grasp the technology has on your life.
??? Not going to happen. Texting is a useful tool for many situations but I don't text socially. I'm in charge of my phone, it's not in charge of me.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:59 PM

21,867 posts, read 14,383,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
How many of us older retired people still use old flip phone or have come into the 21 centry with a Iphone or smart phone, Do you think it is silly for us retired people to get this expensive smart phone service. That what some of my friends are telling me

I am retireing in in the next 2 years at age 64 or 66 will receive social security, but my wife is still working and we have that old type flip phone with no internet except our computers. Our cost with service will go up a 100 dollars a month with iphone
If you absolutely can't afford a smart phone, then I would stick with what I had. We did upgrade in 2012 when we moved cross country. We now count on our phones for so much every day. We have Iphones, and we do not regret making that decision. However, we are able to get a decent monthly rate through Sprint. There are deals to be had through TMobile, and Sprint. Do some research.

I do think that having one computer going forward is not enough to keep abreast of current technology. You need smart phones, or a tablet too. So much is happening in mobile computing. If you lag far enough behind, you can't catch up, IMO. So, it is best to stay somewhat current. At least that is my opinion.

But you are right that mobile technology is costly.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 AM

13,889 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Brace yourselves.

I don't HAVE a cellphone, dumb, smart, or even average. Hard to imagine.

I live in a cellular 'hole' of some kind. Reception in my house is awful. Tried almost all the providers. Maybe it's not related but I can't get OTA signals for digital TV either.

So I have a really dumb phone that plugs into the wall. And all the people who call while I am out can leave a message. Works great and I don't have to trip all the time from being clumsy and always having a screen in my hands when I am out and about. Now I do have a droid tablet I can use for internet when I'm out.

Saw a great cartoon the other day. Picture the usual heaven scene, clouds, angels, etc. One angel says to another, "I don't know what's wrong with all the newbies. They just walk around in total despair for days, staring at their hands!"

Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,987,730 times
Not retired yet (will be in 2 years).

I use the same old flip-phone that I've had for about 9 years. I pay app $47 a month for it and I do not text. All I use it for is to place calls, take calls or voice-mail, and use the alarm when I need to. Oh, and I use the calculator once in a while.

I do not give a rip about pictures in my phone, internet, apps, shooting videos, or texting. And I highly doubt I will move on to a smartphone when I am retired.

I still use camera for pictures.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:53 AM

7,981 posts, read 3,466,719 times
I phone 6 plus. Love it and easy to use. Don't know what I would do without it. They call these larger phones a phablet. (Phone/tablet) easy to use and hooks up automatically to my car. Best of all, I can see it without my reading glasses!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:42 AM

9,582 posts, read 10,926,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I do think that having one computer going forward is not enough to keep abreast of current technology. You need smart phones, or a tablet too. So much is happening in mobile computing. If you lag far enough behind, you can't catch up, IMO. So, it is best to stay somewhat current. At least that is my opinion.

But you are right that mobile technology is costly.
Why is it necesssary to keep up with current technology if an individual has devices that present the same information?

What makes you believe that everyone needs mobile computing?

Catch up to what? The latest fad?

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and often bring it with me when going out as I wish to always have reading material at hand. However, if I'm reading a physical book that I don't plan to finish fairly soon the Kindle remains at home unless I anticipate the need for a dictionary or wikipedia articles.

When I had hip replacement surgery I was away twice for several days. I was just fine and dandy without a computer. I did have my basic cell phone as well as my Kindle Paperwhite and some physical books. The Kindle Paperwhite is not designed to ''surf the web.'' Nothing occurred on the first trip to cause me to bring additional electronic devices on the second. I made sure that bills were paid ahead and didn't make any purchases or involve myself in any auctions prior to leaving.

I'm willing to spend money to satisfy my needs and desires, but I won't spend a quarter to impress people.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-07-2015 at 03:09 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 AM

5,222 posts, read 2,084,683 times
Okay, once again (after having read through), I see many pay a lot for cell phone service, but I realize that many vary in their usage and depends upon what one is conditioned to doing. As I say, I have a "pay as you go" plan with a "smart phone" from AT&T, which has good sound, many features and was not an expensive phone. I do not rely on it for everything, but for when away or for long distance calls. Otherwise, I use it at home for Internet with Wi-fi (mostly using the iPad over using the Mac computer now, yet still need that for some things).

I still prefer a landline which costs little without additional services, still using an answering machine (that's right..laugh if you want...still available as far as I know, getting an AT&T machine at Fry's, 2 years ago, and really like it). I figure, Internet and Cable costs are enough, keeping that as low as I can, too.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 AM

6,350 posts, read 7,829,685 times
I'm retired and I have a TracFone. Not a flip - it's the "candy bar" type. The model I have, LG800, fits into my pocket and is very lightweight. I can get on the internet but never do. It has a crappy camera but that's okay because I take crappy pictures anyway. It has Bluetooth capability (which I don't use) and a qwerty keyboard (which I do) for texting.

I can't afford another monthly bill and once a year, I buy a year's service card for $100. which includes 1,200 minutes. Currently, I have over 6,000 minutes stored. Local voice calls use full minutes; texts use about 1/3 of a minute.

The foregoing applies to me. I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are people to have a smart phone and to each his own. I'm satisfied with what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or