U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:30 PM

212 posts, read 753,080 times

Advertisements

What has changed for you since retired or very close to retirement. Are you more active or less active bored, happy Unhappy ect. Do you find than you can still take vacations like you did in the past

What do you do to occupy your time when retired especially in a normal day especially if your souse is still working(younger than you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 12:28 AM

39,552 posts, read 47,768,430 times
We're happy as a lark, we have more freedom, we take many more vacations. Life is good.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:37 AM

19,848 posts, read 18,874,270 times
Taking more vacations and we can go in the off season and save money. Not bored because we both have interests that are time consuming and we live in an interesting part of the country. There's always some local history to explore or a pretty day trip to enjoy.

I sell on ebay and that takes an enormous amount of time. We garden and we have a real time consumer--a dog.

You can really get into the hobbies and interests that you didn't have time for when you were working at the dumb old job.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:40 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Life can be pretty much the same after retirement (mine is) with the exception that we have more free time, more days that we don't have to set the alarm. I still travel, but I've been able to be gone for longer periods of time. I still live in the same house (by pre-plan), so I still have mostly the same friends. I still go places and do things, but there is more flexibility as to the days of the week and the times of the day. At 71 I can still climb up on ladders and do exterior painting, but if I live long enough there will probably come a time when I decide to give up that sort of thing.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:06 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Theres a mental aspect to retirement,some thrive on the experience others wither on the vine so to speak.
The first couple of years is like a long vacation,going many places you dreamed of ,doing trips in/on the sports-car or Harley or spending time at the country cottage, then after a couple of years reality sets in,for me i got tired of driving the same roads i'd been driving for a lifetime so sold the sportscar and bike,got tired of vacations all over North America just another beach or just another scenic mountain range,
A big problem i hadnt thought about was the wife and i retiring together, it became apparent shortly after retirement i was going to do it mostly alone as the wife loves her job and plans to stay at it for another 12 years .
Bottom line is while some may have a great time in retirement i find retirement kinda boring, now 7 years in i've come down with some major health issues,i'm outta gas mentally and physically.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:11 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,740,348 times
I have traveled about 50% of the time for the 4 years I have been retired. I travel in an RV and expenses are very low. Fuel is the biggest expense but no more than when I had to commute to work.

When not traveling I take courses at the local University. The U has a huge Osher Lifelong Learning Program for seniors. All courses for a year cost a total of $300.

I do lots of photography and have gotten to the point where I consider myself to be an emerging artist. I have entered quite a few juried gallery exhibitions with some growing success.

After a couple of years without a permanent address or house, we resettled, bought a house and remodeled so it has 2 kitchens and 2 separate living areas. We share with our older daughter and her family so we can easily travel. We are still trying to get settled but that is work we are doing at a slow pace.

Archery is another of my hobbies that has survived into retirement. I am not a hunter, just a target archery who enjoys the zen of archery.

I spend more time than I should on the internet especially the photography forums. I also stop by these forums, many the investing forum, in an attempt to understand how to manage my finances in retirement.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:13 AM

71,651 posts, read 71,801,099 times
i used to shoot competively at queens archery years ago. but after a mountain biking accident and a shattered collerbone i gave it up.

more and more listening to you and your rv stories i am soooooo getting the bug to do something like that. the day we hooked up for some photography shooting and hearing your stories really peaked my interest.

just know if we do something like that it is your fault.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-05-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 06:18 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,740,348 times
I forgot to specifically answer your questions.

I do not take vacations. I am retired and spend my time doing what I want to do.

I do not find things to do to "occupy" my time. I am busy and my time is precious. I have no where near enough time or energy to do all the things I want to do.

I pity those who are retiring or retired and do not seem to be busy. Being retired is a time to set new goals and priorities. Find out what it is that you are passionate about and pursue those things. Make sure those things or at least some of them involve learning, accomplishing something you are proud of, doing things which benefit others, growing as an individual.

Occupying your time means you are just waiting to die.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,162 times
BH has walking issues. Is less willing to go to active places.

Too many friends relatives are getting cancer or dying.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:57 AM

2,166 posts, read 1,266,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post

Too many friends relatives are getting cancer or dying.
So sad, right? I miss so many people. Had a friend that was only 57 pass away, recently. My brother and sister in-laws, my brother-in-law had diabetes and Alzheimers. When are they going to find cures for some of this madness??

All have left such big holes in our hearts!! Really feel good that I was blessed to know such sweet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or