U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 12:52 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,270,926 times

Advertisements

I agree. Its not always smart to make a decision just on percentages, when the absolute number is large. Passing on $90k vs passing on $30k for a bigger check later, when you likely need it less in your case, seems more risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 PM

10,478 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailygirl View Post
Need some help please,my husband passed a few yrs ago . I am 64 I only worked 10 yrs. I didn't start to collect yet .I will receive my late husbands when I hit 66 should I start talking mine now, or just pass on it . I'm not up on this I was a homemaker for 25 yrs . Also I will be affected by the windfall does anyone know what is the best thing for me to do .thanks in advance .I am loss on this
I wanted to bump this post from the bottom of the previous page because this poster could really use the help.

As for me and our circumstance the new laws totally nuked a plan put into place with the help of a poster here. Funny I know her name from emails but not sure what her board name is, ilovemycat possible?

Anyway still trying to understand what the current laws mean. I'm 2 years older than my wife and the larger earner by far. Can I file and suspend when my wife reaches FRA and I am 64 1/2? And by doing that will it allow her to receiver 1/2 of my FRA figure, which will be several hundred more than what she would receive on her own earning, while I wait and allow my benefit to grow?

Old 12-12-2015, 03:33 PM

71,779 posts, read 71,875,234 times
you have no options before your fra and that is providing you are at least 62 in 2015 . if your wife is under fra she can only get her own , with an adder to it if when you file 1/2 your full,, less her full is greater then hers .

they will add the difference to her own early benefit .

Old 12-12-2015, 04:38 PM

We will not be 62 in 2015 so the new laws apply. Is file and suspend not an option? I'm not talking about before my wife reaches FRA, when she does at 66/8 I will be 64 1/2. Can she still receive 1/2 of my FRA figure if I file at her FRA? Can I not file and suspend when she reaches her FRA allowing her to get 1/2 of my FRA figure while mine gros by delaying?

I'm still unclear how the new laws have effected our plan.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:32 PM

30,160 posts, read 47,386,444 times
I think the new laws kill any chance in using file and suspend like you want because you do not fit the eligible age profiles

Old 12-12-2015, 09:37 PM

36 posts, read 27,553 times
Does anyone have info to help me ? thank you

Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 PM

30,160 posts, read 47,386,444 times
go to your local social security office with your indentification and check what your options are with a case worker

you give no useable information about specifics for anyone with experience to hazard a guess
AND if you want to make a more specific request, could you start a new thread?
there is link on the first page of this forum for you to do just that
you want special info about your situatuion--that is not really tied to this thread

Old 12-13-2015, 03:11 AM

71,779 posts, read 71,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We will not be 62 in 2015 so the new laws apply. Is file and suspend not an option? I'm not talking about before my wife reaches FRA, when she does at 66/8 I will be 64 1/2. Can she still receive 1/2 of my FRA figure if I file at her FRA? Can I not file and suspend when she reaches her FRA allowing her to get 1/2 of my FRA figure while mine gros by delaying?

I'm still unclear how the new laws have effected our plan.
no more file file and suspend or restrictive application is allowed for you . you each only get your own benefit regardless of age .

there is no option . whether pre fra or fra does not matter anymore , you still only get your own benefit . you missed the boat for selecting your spouses instead .

the only thing one of you can get is an adder to your own if 1/2 your full is more than her full the difference will be added to her benefit when you both file .

Old 12-13-2015, 05:01 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,270,926 times
For Dave, MJ is correct, the only way for your wife to file for her spousal benefit while allowing yours to grow is for you to divorce, as it is for the people in my questions right above. So ex spouses have access to benefits that spouses do not. I had come to the same conclusion but wanted to verify it here. For anyone born later than the cutoff dates, when you file you have to take your benefit, whatever it is. But it f you are an ex spouse, not only do you not have to wait until your ex files, but you can collect on you ex first (as long as that is the larger at the time), continue to work, and if yours becomes larger later, switch to yours. Essentially the SS Admin threw out the baby with the bath water, since the reason F&S was enacted in 2000 was to a help the older, low/no earning SAHM collect at least at her FRA. In my own case, the law change is inconsequential, as my wife earned her own benefit in excess of 1/2 of my FRA regardless of when I were to file. The new law just assures that more married people will file earlier because of the spousal benefit, AND the loss of the option to retroactively go to your FRA date and collect a lump sum if you had F&S delayed, but then discovered you were terminal for instance. Now you only have the 6 month retroactive for just delaying.

It also means that it is harder for a husband to delay so that their spouse would get a larger death benefit. While I don't disagree that SS was never meant to support those options, I fail to see why an ex spouse married for 10 years should be entitled to more benefit options than a spouse married for 30, and be entitled to a benefit based on a lifetime work record. They should only be entitled to benefits based on the work record for when they were married.

Last edited by Perryinva; 12-13-2015 at 05:12 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no more file file and suspend or restrictive application is allowed for you . you each only get your own benefit regardless of age .

there is no option . whether pre fra or fra does not matter anymore , you still only get your own benefit . you missed the boat for selecting your spouses instead .

the only thing one of you can get is an adder to your own if 1/2 your full is more than her full the difference will be added to her benefit when you both file .
OK this is what the other poster said, just want to be clear. Again I will file for my own earnings, the decision is regarding my wife's benefit. 1/2 of mine is several hundred more than the benefit from her own earnings. But the kicker is she is 2 years older than me so therefore is eligible for her FRA benefit 2 years before I am. So she can not realize the bump to 1/2 of my FRA benefitt until I file. So say she files at her FRA for her own, she then gets the bump when I file seeing as she is at FRA even if I file before my FRA. Is all this correct?

If so let's say I file a year before my FRA to get her that increase. The real decision is will her bump be larger when the additional year of increased benefits is calculated be more than the penalty I will pay for filing early? Can't see how that would be the case if it's only a year.

As for the suggestion to go to the SS office I've read too many stories of bad info being given there. To be honest the posters here appear to be more knowledgable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or