U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:56 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,254,966 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use any of the apps that are supposed to impact mental acuity like Fit Brains Trainer? I've been doing Sudoku and started playing Chess against the machine. Found out my chess was pretty rusty but it's coming back rapidly. I like the Sudoku as well and think I'll try some of the other stuff. Lumosity seems a little pricy but maybe it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 12:12 PM

1,926 posts, read 991,367 times
I don't use apps (applications?) but I do play scrabble, other word games, and do crossword puzzles. I think it keeps me sharp. I'm not sure, at this point, if I'm ever going to get any sharper, but it sure shows when I'm having a bad day

I only play the free games.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:53 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,535,742 times
I like puzzles and games, so I play a lot of them. I recently read, though, that the best brain exercise is to learn something totally new.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:58 PM

4,121 posts, read 4,702,090 times
I'm a firm believer in playing brain games to help keep the ol' neurons firing. There's a guy named Everett Kaser who has a whole boatload of computer logic & puzzle games. I have several of them, and play them all the time. If you like Sherlock type games, you owe it to yourself to check these out...

Home - Everett Kaser Software
Attached Thumbnails
Brain Exercise Apps-shsamp.gif   Brain Exercise Apps-khsamp.gif  

Old 04-06-2015, 12:44 AM

10,818 posts, read 8,069,111 times
Most recent research suggests they're worthless re any meaningful physiological benefit. But at worst they're not harmful and at best they're a dang good way to pass time.

Enjoy, but don't pay much for them, imo Lumosity is not worth the money or the bother. All the games they offer are available elsewhere at little cost or free. Sudoku and 2048 are my favorites, I like Mahjong too. I think I paid something like 2.95 for the no-ad versions for each a few years ago and haven't paid a dime since.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Most recent research suggests they're worthless re any meaningful physiological benefit.
I hadn't read that. Everything I've ever read suggests anything that keeps your brain active is better than not keeping your brain active.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,535,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I hadn't read that. Everything I've ever read suggests anything that keeps your brain active is better than not keeping your brain active.
I just did a search, and it seems that the advice for this week is that physical exercise provides as much cognitive improvement as 'brain games'. I suppose next week it'll be something else. Sort of like the way that coconut is the new kale.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 AM

18,121 posts, read 22,989,204 times
I tried the ones on the AARP website. Hated it! They stressed me out ha ha.

I learn new things all the time. I enjoy research. Just bought an iphone I need to learn how to use, and bought a used Mac last night on Ebay (cross your fingers it's okay lol). Never had Macs before. Found a couple tutorials online.

I've always been very bad at "official" puzzles, but I can research information like a woman possessed. Don't know why it's different - maybe it's the actual desire to figure out the "puzzle" of the information I want to find, as opposed to trying to click on a bird image that keeps moving around.

I think exercising the brain helps, but I don't expect it to keep me from eventually getting senile. Runs in the family.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
True, but the benefits have been greatly exaggerated for commercial benefits

Do Brain Training Games Live Up to the Hype?

Quote:
A recent meta-analysis published by the University of Oslo found that there may be very limited benefits from brain training exercises, at least in healthy adults and children. Their research suggested that the benefits of brain training are short lived and limited merely to the task that was practiced, not to other tasks or general intelligence.
While brain games may delay dementia or temporarily improve symptoms,

Quote:
A study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry found that brain-training, or what they referred to as a “cognitive stimulation therapy programme” improved cognition in seniors with dementia

Numerous other studies attest to similar findings. But there’s no secret to brain training. The Alzheimer’s Association has long said that mental activity can help prevent Alzheimer’s and related dementias. In fact, the Alzheimer’s Association of Australia has even released its own popular and free app, BrainyApp, which includes mental training, among other features, and which says that it may help “reduce your risk of developing dementia.”

traditional mental stimulation may work just as well

Quote:
There are certainly benefits from mental stimulation, but traditional forms of mental exercise may work as well as the commercial brain training programs we’ve described:

Playing a game of chess or bridge
Solving a crossword or Sudoku puzzle
Learning a new song or dance
Reading a good book from the library
Of course, if you enjoy the challenge of playing these brain training games, and many people do, by all means do so. They certainly can’t hurt and may well have some benefits. But don’t feel as if you need to go buy brain training system just because you’ve got some gray hair or recently misplaced your car keys.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I just did a search, and it seems that the advice for this week is that physical exercise provides as much cognitive improvement as 'brain games'. I suppose next week it'll be something else. Sort of like the way that coconut is the new kale.
Wait a sec... kale is out?

Agree, every week something kills you, something makes you live forever, and a third something makes you the tiger in the bedroom your wife wishes she... oh wait, that was an email I got. Never mind.

Seriously, I don't put much confidence in any of these reports. I like coffee, so I'm gonna drink it, whether it's good for me or not. I enjoy brain games, so I play them. And I did hear that physical activity is good for you in a variety of ways (physical, mental, emotional), but that only makes sense, right?

Heck, I'm just happy my fingers work well enough to still type this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement