U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 PM

4,245 posts, read 8,096,122 times

Advertisements

Bailed early at 52ish in 2000...mort/debt free, lotsa dough saved, smallish pension, decent IRA rolled from 401k:
-Wish I would have done the Roth IRA way back when; now it would be a sizable tax hit to do so.
-We travel a lot, but would like to get to a few/half dozen places I haven't been that are on my Jukebox.
-2 homes = PIA, but don't want to give up either thus far. At 68 I can still do it, maybe not in some future time.
-Keep humping physically: do something every day for a few hours, on and off. It will start to erode, I guarantee it.
-Don't get hooked/caught up in one lifestyle: we love golf and belong to clubs at both homes, but we 'leave' and go do other stuff. Golf, or whatever hobby you like is good, but don't let one hobby or avocation consume all of your time.
-Big world out there, inc the US: go drive around/fly around and see it.
-Get off the couch and 'do something' physical and outside, every day, regardless of weather or 'how you feel'.
-Keep reading something(s), anything, in addition to watching TV news for all of your info. It has become OMG! Yahoo type news.
-Welcome new friends and acquaintances, of all ages.
-Be happy and poz; this is a one time deal. No waiting for sitting on that 'cloud' with all your old friends and fam.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 07:35 PM

30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times
@Motordavid--we too have 2nd home in Nokomis--our daughter/family live there...
we find we don't have much time for traveling to other places since we are splitting time between TX and FL...

and to everyone who said more Roth, I agree with that...but sometimes you don't have that option at the right time and so many articles say that retired people need less/spend less---
which we (so far) are not finding is accurate...

Old 04-12-2015, 07:50 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,729,254 times
I retired 9 years ago at 57. I had no idea how much I would miss my work and my 'work family' (a good number us had worked together for 20-30 years). Altho' I couldn't have done it differently with my work place, I think everyone who is close to retirement should be able to 'phase' retirement in: 3/4 time, 1/2 time, 1/4 time -- or something like that -- over the course of a year or two. I wish I could have worked to 65 -- but I was just too burnt out.

As for everything else -- I wish I hadn't done all the traveling, that I ever wanted to do, when I was young (20-40). I don't have traveling (trips to Europe, etc.) to look forward to in retirement. On the other hand, traveling can take its toll when we're older.

I am one of the fortunate ones with a defined benefit pension plan, and it's much more than enough. I am deeply grateful every single day.

Oh, one more thing: I moved out of my home state right after I retired. I regretted it for too many years. However, everything has turned out well, and I've come to love my new home state. HOWEVER, if you're thinking of moving out of your home town/state -- think twice -- and twice again. The grass often isn't greener on the other side. Even with the drought and recent water restrictions -- there will always be a part of me that wishes I hadn't moved out of Southern CA. Unfortunately, at the time, I just wanted out of the rat race. I wish I had given myself a year or more, after retirement, to figure out where I really wanted to live. It's simply just good fortune that I now like where I am.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:37 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,972,796 times
We both retired now, 63, but wife has chronic health problems now. If anything, I wish we would have done more traveling earlier. Now we have the time and the money but last trip to Europe ( been there 3 times) was very difficult. Almost had to bury her in Paris.<joke>. Money comes and goes and can come back but not your health. I want to move away but she wants to stay, big disagreement but working through it.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:50 AM

2,296 posts, read 1,565,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I retired 9 years ago at 57. I had no idea how much I would miss my work and my 'work family' (a good number us had worked together for 20-30 years). Altho' I couldn't have done it differently with my work place, I think everyone who is close to retirement should be able to 'phase' retirement in: 3/4 time, 1/2 time, 1/4 time -- or something like that -- over the course of a year or two. I wish I could have worked to 65 -- but I was just too burnt out.

As for everything else -- I wish I hadn't done all the traveling, that I ever wanted to do, when I was young (20-40). I don't have traveling (trips to Europe, etc.) to look forward to in retirement. On the other hand, traveling can take its toll when we're older.

I am one of the fortunate ones with a defined benefit pension plan, and it's much more than enough. I am deeply grateful every single day.

Oh, one more thing: I moved out of my home state right after I retired. I regretted it for too many years. However, everything has turned out well, and I've come to love my new home state. HOWEVER, if you're thinking of moving out of your home town/state -- think twice -- and twice again. The grass often isn't greener on the other side. Even with the drought and recent water restrictions -- there will always be a part of me that wishes I hadn't moved out of Southern CA. Unfortunately, at the time, I just wanted out of the rat race. I wish I had given myself a year or more, after retirement, to figure out where I really wanted to live. It's simply just good fortune that I now like where I am.
Curious where you live now, Fran.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM

6,575 posts, read 8,008,745 times
My biggest mistake was not taking retirement seriously. Sure, I saved money toward retirement, knowing I would need it, but as far as having 'a plan' on how to move forward with my life post retiring, not so much. I thought I could just keep on doing my non-job related stuff forever. Didn't take into account that physical work and play become gradually more difficult, and that since none of my friends were retired it made socializing a little constricted. Working people think you must have all the time in the world and can do everything according to their schedules, which gets a little tiring. The same with retirees who are totally caught up in their children's and grandkids lives. So maybe having a plan that would take these things into account would have helped, but I'll never know. (Suggestions welcome!)

Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 AM

5,807 posts, read 4,854,199 times
I wish that I had been psychic and sold my old home at the market peak so I could have paid cash for my retirement home. LOL Unfortunately at that time I was not 50 yet and not eligible to retire, but we could have sold our house, stored our stuff, and lived in our rental property until I could retire. Hindsight, sigh.......

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 AM

6,312 posts, read 4,757,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I wish that I had been psychic and sold my old home at the market peak so I could have paid cash for my retirement home. LOL Unfortunately at that time I was not 50 yet and not eligible to retire, but we could have sold our house, stored our stuff, and lived in our rental property until I could retire. Hindsight, sigh.......
I sold my house at the bottom of the market, but that was not a mistake. I saved a huge amount of money the 2 years I traveled and lived in an RV. In addition the equity from my house went into my investment portfolio and earned about 40% over that 2 year period. I then bought another house when interest rates were even lower and house prices were also still at the bottom. No, I did ok with decisions on housing in addition to having 2 great years of travel.

My mistake was to start social security at age 67. I should have waited longer.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,729,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Curious where you live now, Fran.

Albuquerque, NM -- it was a LONG, BIG adjustment. I sure wasn't in Southern CA anymore, ToTo.

I was always in love with the NM terrain -- I am a nature girl and a desert rat. I've lived all over The US, lived in Europe, and travel extensively, so I can say (I think) that NM is one of the top most beautiful places on earth. But the culture was/is SO different. It's like living in a Third World country (not always -- but a lot). I had no real idea what a spoiled-brat-Southern-CA gal I had been until I moved here. I took A LOT of good things that Southern CA had and has to offer for granted.

And I'd STILL go back to Southern CA today -- if it weren't for all the people, all the cars, all the traffic, the high taxes (I live extremely well in NM), the earthquakes (I went through most of the worst ones in the past 65 years), and now the drought, which is far more serious than most people, residents and non-residents, are willing to recognize.

What I really want is to live in the Southern CA of the 50s, 60s, and 70s -- and, of course, it doesn't exist anymore and never will again.

I just want to repeat this ('ve said it before on the Retirement topic): the government stats state that 70% of retirees stay in their home town upon retiring. Even if their adult children and their grandchildren are not living close by. Perhaps a lot of people realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I came here, partially, for a much better life -- and I got it -- financially. I am 'rich' in NM (hardly 1% but still very well off); I would be barely middle class in CA. I just wasn't at all prepared for the NM culture shock (which lasted for years).

Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,447,142 times
No mistakes that I can list. I don't worry about money because it just isn't important to me and I have enough and if I don't, I am resourceful and find ways to get more. I traveled extensively the first few years of retirement and am very glad I did since my orthopaedic self isn't doing so well now and I can't horse trek anymore ( I think anyway). As long as I can manage to maintain my huge house and grounds, I'll stay here. I will worry about that situation when the time comes. Meanwhile, I just do what I want, when I want and have a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or