Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I just want to repeat this ('ve said it before on the Retirement topic): the government stats state that 70% of retirees stay in their home town upon retiring. Even if their adult children and their grandchildren are not living close by. Perhaps a lot of people realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I came here, partially, for a much better life -- and I got it -- financially. I am 'rich' in NM (hardly 1% but still very well off); I would be barely middle class in CA. I just wasn't at all prepared for the NM culture shock (which lasted for years).
My wife and I came to the conclusion that we wouldn't be able to stay in our home state because the cost of living was a struggle even with 2 salaries.

Some people go to mexico to enjoy a lower cost of living and I just spoke with someone who was thinking seriously about retiring to Thailand .

if you were willing, a small cabin *off grid* in the woods could be the cheapest living. I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a small piece of land and parking a mobile home on it for camping to test the feasibility of camping as a cheap way of living but I think it may not be possible after I hit my 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
The life choices would have needed to be changed way back when, and we would have needed a crystal ball, in order for us to be in a better place now. All in all, we are doing OK. I would have kept working if I hadn't lost my job. Hubby has a part time job and we keep busy with projects.
If we had known about the dive in real estate and the bottom falling out of the business we were in, we could have circumvented some serious hits to the nest egg.
We have been able to live on SS and his PT job, without getting income from the savings, but I am starting to feel a pull to use the money to take some nice vacations while we are healthy, because someday might never come. Hubby wants to stock pile everything for later. I am worried we will not enjoy our retirement and wind up giving it all to a nursing home.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
My wife and I came to the conclusion that we wouldn't be able to stay in our home state because the cost of living was a struggle even with 2 salaries.

Some people go to mexico to enjoy a lower cost of living and I just spoke with someone who was thinking seriously about retiring to Thailand .

if you were willing, a small cabin *off grid* in the woods could be the cheapest living. I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a small piece of land and parking a mobile home on it for camping to test the feasibility of camping as a cheap way of living but I think it may not be possible after I hit my 70s.
I have a different suggestion. Buy a small used RV. Many people buy RVs new, don't use them and end up selling them for half price. Buy one with solar panels so you do not need hook ups. Traveling and seeing our national parks is a great experience. You can change locations according to the seasons and weather. I found travel to be extremely low cost. Driving on the open road can be costly but I found I tended to stay in the same general locations for many weeks and fuel expenses were moderate. Everything else was dirt cheap. Without the need for hookups, I avoided RV Parks and on average spent $7/day for camping. In addition to solar I sometimes needed to run my generator so that cost me maybe $5/month on average. Water and dump station costs are included in the $7/day. I also had to pay for propane. Hot water for daily showers, cooking and washing dishes and occasional use of the furnace cost me about $10/mo. The senior access pass gets you into national parks for free.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The life choices would have needed to be changed way back when, and we would have needed a crystal ball, in order for us to be in a better place now. All in all, we are doing OK. I would have kept working if I hadn't lost my job. Hubby has a part time job and we keep busy with projects.
If we had known about the dive in real estate and the bottom falling out of the business we were in, we could have circumvented some serious hits to the nest egg.
We have been able to live on SS and his PT job, without getting income from the savings, but I am starting to feel a pull to use the money to take some nice vacations while we are healthy, because someday might never come. Hubby wants to stock pile everything for later. I am worried we will not enjoy our retirement and wind up giving it all to a nursing home.
Could you also find a part time job, set aside some money and take some nice vacations?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

I was going to move to San Miguel de Allende. After 6 months on that Yahoo board, I decided that it was not for me. I'm still on the board -- years now; I DEFINITELY would not move there now.

People underestimate just how difficult it is to live in a foreign country, even Mexico. If you're really rich, that may make a big difference (and I think it would). But if you're poor or middle class -- it's a difficult life.

As for living 'off grid' -- it sounds nice, but there is no one there is you need assistance, especially emergency assistance; and secondly, a variation of the preceding: as you get older, you simply won't be able to live that existence, as you said.

BUT I agree with those who said that an RV or small trailer, until you can't live that way any longer -- it's a good idea. My former MIL did it for a year, travelled all over The US and just LOVED it. [Of course, she still had her city house to come back to at the end of that year.]

Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,231 times
RVing - What a GREAT idea!

Last edited by jane_sm1th73; 04-13-2015 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: needed to ID the reference

Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Could you also find a part time job, set aside some money and take some nice vacations?
Oh, sure I could, but we don't really need me to. I might, if I can control my hours. Hubby doesn't mind working, but he would not like it if I was working when he was off. Then, we really wouldn't get to anything fun.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Many people live the RV life
Many websites out there by people who retired to it
Personally I think I would find it very claustrophobic
for long term living but it definitely is less $$

We are considering buying a small home in the town my SIL lives in for her to move to.
She had a double wide in mobile home park now
It is aging and park's owner has rented homes and spaces to people who are just not good tensnts
I think she is a little afraid and in her 80s cant afford to do needed maintenance.
I understand why my husband wants to help her, but she has 3 adult kids and adult grandkids who dont seem that interested or worried about her situation.
One son and his kids live in close proximity--others are farther.
Her oldest son has a good deal of wealth, as much or more than we do I imagine. But his wife likely wouldnt approve. And his sister is adamant about not moving to apt and us just helping with rent.
His sister could live 20 more years so this could be protracted situation.
It worries me I admit.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:31 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Travel now while you are mobile!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,257 times
I don't know if I'd call it a mistake, because it was the right decision at the time we made it, but I wish now that we hadn't bought so big a house. At the time we bought the house, my husband was still alive and in a wheelchair, and this house was spacious enough for him to get around in easily. But now that he's gone and I'm on my own, it's at least twice as much house as I need, and I'm paying for utilities, taxes, insurance, etc., on more house than is necessary.

I'm going to sell it and downsize in the next year or so, but it's costly to sell and move, and I'll probably lose money on the sale.

We just didn't think he was going to die quite so soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement