U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can retire in France at 62 but the catch is now they have raised years worked to 42 to qualify. A lot of countries retirement systems are in crisis not just US. Think about being a young person in Europe facing average 25% unemployment and the future for retirement. Wife and I both retired at 52 having started working towards it in early 20's. Now 67 and 62.
Kudos to you. I didn't start until my 30s but in my 50s lost half of it, including from my pension. It would have taken me 12 or so years to fully recover, to include the bank accounts the ex emptied, and putting off retirement until about 74 did not seem an attractive option. I'm not even there yet and am in my seventh year of blissful, "unemployment." Thankfully we managed it nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM

364 posts, read 553,793 times
I retired a month before my 60th birthday, the first day I was eligible to draw a pension. I could have stayed on and earned about $2K more a year for each additional year I worked, plus whatever extra I could stuff into my Thrift savings account. But I was at the end of my tolerance for the rat race and I figured I had enough to live comfortably. In retrospect I'm glad; I've had 5 good years with my mom, while she's been strong and healthy and able to travel. Her mobility has suffered a good deal in the past year, but she's working to get back to her routines. I'm happy we've had this time together. It's great to wake up in the morning and think, they're paying me just to open my eyes.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:33 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,021,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

The only things I didn't plan on were:

1. People don't usually retire at 55 so it was hard to meet people my age (from my generation). They are just starting to retire now but most still haven't retired yet.

2. My health went south faster than expected after I retired.

A few years ago, my 92 year old aunt noted that 28 out of 30 of her high school friends are dead. And one of the two remaining is suffering from dementia. I encouraged her to start making younger friends ... preferably friends that will outlive her.

I have encountered the same thing. Most of the people that I am hanging with are 10-12 years older than me. There is just not much that I can do about that other than listen to all their stories of love, sex and rock and roll, all of which I pretty much missed. I don't think that much will change for a while.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 PM

5,399 posts, read 6,547,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I just barely retired I'm still 43 and not because of any great planning on my part My husband was in law enforcement and put away survivor benefits for me. For whatever reason he was a good financial planner. I'm far from having lots of money, but, I went through a lot with his drinking and violence that led to his death so now I'm OK and not having to work is good for me. As long as I don't remarry I have an income albeit it modest I'm happy and self supporting and in charge of my own destiny which is a huge change for me...
glad you are doing well. you did have hard times. good luck

Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A few years ago, my 92 year old aunt noted that 28 out of 30 of her high school friends are dead. And one of the two remaining is suffering from dementia. I encouraged her to start making younger friends ... preferably friends that will outlive her.

I have encountered the same thing. Most of the people that I am hanging with are 10-12 years older than me. There is just not much that I can do about that other than listen to all their stories of love, sex and rock and roll, all of which I pretty much missed. I don't think that much will change for a while.
Are you sure that wasn't drugs, sex, and rock and roll?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 PM

21,946 posts, read 14,428,907 times
I was able to retire at age 60. Being able to do so was a gift which I gratefully received.

There is no right answer to your question. Nothing is certain. If you were to die next week, what things would you wish you had made time for? If you were to retire next week, which things could you afford to do?

And you should plan for your retirement. This should not be an impulse driven decision.

Do understand that your energy will decline, and you will not be the person you are now in 10 years. And, of course there is the fact that the income you are earning now cannot be replaced in retirement.

I do not regret retiring when I did. But I had a great retirement planner--my DH. I love being retired, frankly.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 PM

13,895 posts, read 25,351,824 times
I retired at 53. I really didn't mean to, it just happened. I planned to go back to work after taking some time off to remodel our retirement home. Well, H died and the economy laid an egg so no jobs for me. I retired in 2008 just as the economy collapsed and moved to Vegas.

I have had some piddly throw away part time jobs. I find myself working at Williams-Sonoma whenever I need to buy something expensive because of the employee discount. But no real job for me. I was a tekkie and after all this time has passed, my skills are rusty and technology has passed me by. It's very unlikely I will ever work in my field again and that's OK.

Seriously, being retired is wonderful and I love it! And I no longer shovel snow from September to May either!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:13 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I retired at 53. I really didn't mean to, it just happened. I planned to go back to work after taking some time off to remodel our retirement home. Well, H died and the economy laid an egg so no jobs for me. I retired in 2008 just as the economy collapsed and moved to Vegas.

I have had some piddly throw away part time jobs. I find myself working at Williams-Sonoma whenever I need to buy something expensive because of the employee discount. But no real job for me. I was a tekkie and after all this time has passed, my skills are rusty and technology has passed me by. It's very unlikely I will ever work in my field again and that's OK.

Seriously, being retired is wonderful and I love it! And I no longer shovel snow from September to May either!

My SO and I would like to move to a warmer place. He has spent most of his time in the south and owns two places in GA and in SC, but, Vegas sounds intriguing. I spent most of my working years in retail so I could do what you do. Tell me what Vegas is like???? Is it ever to hot?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 AM

130 posts, read 101,536 times
Reading the comments here reminds me of the old adage, "Plan like you're going to live forever and live like you're going to die tomorrow."

Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM

23,649 posts, read 17,623,979 times
I find it interesting way more educators are posting about their early retirements here than you'd find in the general population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement