U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,692 posts, read 49,482,998 times
Reputation: 19136

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I find it interesting way more educators are posting about their early retirements here than you'd find in the general population.
I had not noticed that.

What percentage of posters here are educators?

My Dw homeschooled our children, does that count?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2015, 09:26 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,910 posts, read 42,175,279 times
Reputation: 43311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I find it interesting way more educators are posting about their early retirements here than you'd find in the general population.
Why do you suppose that is?

I can tell you in my case my taxable "gold plated pension", which will give me 30% of my salary, no continuing health benefits and the mandatory surrender of my credentials played a part. (sarcasm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I had not noticed that.

What percentage of posters here are educators?

My Dw homeschooled our children, does that count?

No.

I count three of us who I know are/were teachers. One of those three has not retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque NM
1,662 posts, read 1,529,045 times
Reputation: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I find it interesting way more educators are posting about their early retirements here than you'd find in the general population.
The public sector generally provides a defined benefit pension and allows retirement at an earlier age (e.g., 50-55) or with only 20-25 years of service. This is also true of law enforcement. Of course, many state retirement plans are not as generous as in the past as is also the case for federal retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,792 posts, read 4,848,703 times
Reputation: 19498
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Retired at 55 (almost 56) with 34 years with the same employer. ......

The only things I didn't plan on were:

1. People don't usually retire at 55 so it was hard to meet people my age (from my generation). They are just starting to retire now but most still haven't retired yet.

2. My health went south faster than expected after I retired.
I hear you on the lack of 55 y.o. retirees. We have a few over here in TV, but we are definitely in the minority. Fortunately the people are friendly, so the age difference is not such a big deal, but we are coming from a different frame of reference, so sometimes it's hard to relate. PM me sometime if you are going to Cades Cove and maybe we could go on a photo safari. Such a beautiful spot, I could meet you in Maryville or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM
 
530 posts, read 538,894 times
Reputation: 959
DH and I will, most-likely, need to sell out and move out, once she officially retires at full retirement age (FRA) in ~2 years; I'm 7 yrs older (soon-to-be 70), and past FRA.
I still work a 40-hour week. Inexperience, naivete, and plain-old stubbornness have contributed to my needing to continue working, to build enough of a retirement fund that I can actually afford to retire. I've been working since I was 12-years-old, doing odd jobs, throwing newspapers, playing music, and eventually gaining a whole-slew of on-th'-job experience & training. Job-related education added to what "expertise" I was credited with, and these things have allowed me to stay in the work force, to continue building enough funds on which to retire.
I was more-or-less 'forced' to begin taking Social Security at age 62, due to the "economic recession" and a layoff, after unemployment compensation ran out. So now, I'm sort-of "double-dipping", after being hired as a 'temp' and receiving SocSec.
Currently, I have a large portion of my weekly pay put into the 401(k) sponsored by the agency I work through. And, with some very-capable help from a financial advisor, I've been able to redirect some of those contributions to some very positive funds. More-recently, I refocused those funds toward "income", as opposed to "growth" ... that's in preparation for that big day when I actually stop coming to this building and producing salary-able work. If the job weren't something I actually enjoy doing, I would probably be griping to DH that it's just not worth getting out of bed for, every day.

The 'plus'-side of all this is that DH is employed as a company employee, whereas I'm employed as a contractor. She carries our health insurance, supplemental insurances, and other "benefits", while I have Medicare, the 401(k) with minimal employer-contribution, and an IRA that's been rolled-over into, more times than I can count.

Most-hopefully, we'll have enough to live comfortably on, yet frugally, when the big day comes. We've already been discovering the online coupons and discount websites, to help defray the costs of everything, and we're even looking at places to retire to, away from this place they call "Silly-con Valley" ...
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 PM
 
14,264 posts, read 24,013,182 times
Reputation: 20097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Are you sure that wasn't drugs, sex, and rock and roll?

You are right. I was well ... pursuing the monastic life at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 01:16 PM
 
2,063 posts, read 1,307,723 times
Reputation: 10032
My Mom is 72 and still works full time. She can afford to retire but prefers working. She likes her job and the people she works with. Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,792 posts, read 4,848,703 times
Reputation: 19498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
My Mom is 72 and still works full time. She can afford to retire but prefers working. She likes her job and the people she works with. Why not?
That's the key...if you are happy working, there's no need to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 02:26 PM
 
530 posts, read 538,894 times
Reputation: 959
Default OK ... "DH" Should Read "DW"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
DW and I will, most-likely, need to sell out and move out, once she officially retires at full retirement age (FRA) in ~2 years; I'm 7 yrs older (soon-to-be 70), and past FRA.
I still work a 40-hour week. Inexperience, naivete, and plain-old stubbornness have contributed to my needing to continue working, to build enough of a retirement fund that I can actually afford to retire. I've been working since I was 12-years-old, doing odd jobs, throwing newspapers, playing music, and eventually gaining a whole-slew of on-th'-job experience & training. Job-related education added to what "expertise" I was credited with, and these things have allowed me to stay in the work force, to continue building enough funds on which to retire.
I was more-or-less 'forced' to begin taking Social Security at age 62, due to the "economic recession" and a layoff, after unemployment compensation ran out. So now, I'm sort-of "double-dipping", after being hired as a 'temp' and receiving SocSec.
Currently, I have a large portion of my weekly pay put into the 401(k) sponsored by the agency I work through. And, with some very-capable help from a financial advisor, I've been able to redirect some of those contributions to some very positive funds. More-recently, I refocused those funds toward "income", as opposed to "growth" ... that's in preparation for that big day when I actually stop coming to this building and producing salary-able work. If the job weren't something I actually enjoy doing, I would probably be griping to DW that it's just not worth getting out of bed for, every day.

The 'plus'-side of all this is that DW is employed as a company employee, whereas I'm employed as a contractor. She carries our health insurance, supplemental insurances, and other "benefits", while I have Medicare, the 401(k) with minimal employer-contribution, and an IRA that's been rolled-over into, more times than I can count.

Most-hopefully, we'll have enough to live comfortably on, yet frugally, when the big day comes. We've already been discovering the online coupons and discount websites, to help defray the costs of everything, and we're even looking at places to retire to, away from this place they call "Silly-con Valley" ...
...
... Sheesh! ...
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Mt. Lebanon
1,844 posts, read 1,946,917 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I was surprised to discover that most people in most countries have retired by age 65.

Look here: Retirement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example, in Germany, only 3% of 65 year olds are still working; in the USA it is 20%

If you have retired already, at what age did you retire?

As for me, I'm 65 now and will be 66 in December but I'm still reluctant to give it up.
My problem is that I like what I do. It keeps me busy and I'm paid well.

However, I'm now reading about friends who have died young and I'm beginning to think that I might regret not retiring earlier.

What are your thoughts?
If you like what you do keep doing it. In Japan there is a doctor who practices medicine at the age of 103 or 104. Google him. It's an interesting perspective on life. He says that after the age 0f 60 he had more free time to give back to the community so at 65 he started to volunteer. Live life with a purpose. Why should anyone tell you when to stop when you like what you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top