Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

Wow, PMWtg, that sounds almost identical to us. Especially the second paragraph.

Dh loves the solitude and the natural beauty.

Then his hip gave out and the stairs in the house and up to the shop are a real struggle.

We built a beautiful 18x32 workshop with two floors for our hobbies. Three years later and he can barely get up to the second floor. Standing on the concrete floor really hurts him after two hours.

Just like us, any amenities are at least 45 minutes away.

Not going to work for us anymore. Thank the Lord we have a place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 12:20 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I think you have a great plan. This is our plan as well. We are currently living 30 minutes out on two acres. Our youngest graduates in two years. We are already looking for our retirement home in a modest nearby community where taxes are less than half of what we pay now. We have targeted a certain area of that community where we can walk to restaurants, the library, church, a grocery store, the pharmacy, town green, and a beautiful walking trail along the river. Our neighbors think that we are crazy because the town is not ranked as "desirable" as our current town. Location is our primary motive as I will be retiring soon and the new location will be 10 minutes from my wife's job. We currently average 25,000 to 30,000 miles of driving a year. We will be able to buy a nice home for half of what our current home is worth. We are very excited about the move and look forward to spending less time in the car and more time being active. The big bonus is that this move will allow me to retire 5 years earlier to pursue other interests.
You're inspiring me! My definition of desirable is a lot different from others. Right now my idea of desirability is everything you listed. Add to that a nice YMCA that caters all age groups and a movie theater I don't have to plan a trip too and I'm good. The nice thing about older towns and cities are the amount of civic groups available if I feel like getting involved. Good luck with everything.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:12 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
You're inspiring me! My definition of desirable is a lot different from others. Right now my idea of desirability is everything you listed. Add to that a nice YMCA that caters all age groups and a movie theater I don't have to plan a trip too and I'm good. The nice thing about older towns and cities are the amount of civic groups available if I feel like getting involved. Good luck with everything.
I wish you the best of luck. You're right, desirable is in the eyes of the beholder. We're planning our move to Windsor. Windsor is an active community with many civic organizations and activities, it has a great library and it is convenient to everything. The added bonus is that the lower cost of housing is allowing me to retire 5 years earlier without leaving Connecticut.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:

So when hubby asked where we are going, I named two nearby cities that many people consider dumps. Both have some struggles but things I like too. I told him I wanted a postage stamp sized level lot and while the taxes might be high there, the amenities and services would work for me. He knows I'm tired of living without sidewalks and having to drive fifteen minutes for take out or groceries.

I'm curious if anyone ever moved to a small city or a starter neighborhood when they retired.
Umm, I'm sure most of us do, lol!

I live in Northern Virginia - ranks right up there with NY, LA and Mubai in terms of traffic, noise, congestion and chaos. This is not a place to which to retire! It is a tactical way station. Other than the people who are stuck here (will lose pensions if they leave), NOBODY is a generations-long resident.

Most retirees move to places that are calmer, with less population congestion, better manners, lower taxes, lower concentration of illegal aliens, and saner prices. The ones that move to the exurbs so as to maintain some connection to the days of yore - wish they HAD left the area. By the time they come to that conclusion on their own, the prospect of organizing and executing another move becomes so overwhelming that they don't do it.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Anyone moving "to town" from rural or suburbs will have to adjust to a new level of noise. Neighbors, particularly, esp in kid neighborhoods. I love living in town, will never move rural or even suburban, boring to me beyond belief. If I want "nature," I simply get in my car and drive several minutes to the various campuses that have wooded bike/walking paths, or to nearby nature preserves, which abound. Those are my daytrips or afternoon activities, and I feel safe in these places as opposed to the suburbs or wilds.

Those who are sensitive to noise, like I am, grow a thick skin sooner or later. Actually, I was more tuned into it when we first moved here. Every car door closing had me irritated. Now I'm more oblivious, grateful to be close to everything in a town that has public transportation. Yes, the taxes are higher here, but I figure the difference offsets the cost of all that gas we used to use in commuting and getting to the nearest stores.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Lucky for us DH's hearing isn't that great, so going to the 'burbs won't 'disturb' him

Old 04-15-2015, 03:15 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
I actually had more of a an adjustment moving to the woods after living near a main road. LOL. It's like I needed loud cars and sirens to fall asleep then only had the sound of a brook and trees swaying.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:15 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
I actually had more of a an adjustment moving to the woods after living near a main road. LOL. It's like I needed loud cars and sirens to fall asleep then only had the sound of a brook and trees swaying.
This reminds me of my parents. I grew up on a farm, out in the country BUT it was on a major highway and once there was also an active railroad across the road. Because of road widening over the years, the 100+ year old farm house was fairly close to the highway. I was use to it but I remember a friend thought the 18 wheelers were coming through the bedroom at night. After I got married and moved away, to the busy suburbs of NoVa, my parents would comment about how quiet it was when they visited! It's just what you get use to over time.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:28 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
I grew up in a small city (200K pop) that was a college town - and moved to San Francisco, then Los Angeles and then a suburb of Salt Lake City. Salt Lake has gone from a two-lane highway to a megacity in the 25 years we have been here. Quite a lot of changes.

I get hives when I think about living in the city for retirement.

Key for me is "outskirts". Just out side of the city - with access - but the decibel level is low enough I can hear the owls at night.

The moment we are unable to drive to services is when we will consider elder housing. And from the likes of our parents - that won't be until our 80s.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
So when hubby asked where we are going, I named two nearby cities that many people consider dumps. Both have some struggles but things I like too. I told him I wanted a postage stamp sized level lot and while the taxes might be high there, the amenities and services would work for me. He knows I'm tired of living without sidewalks and having to drive fifteen minutes for take out or groceries.

I'm curious if anyone ever moved to a small city or a starter neighborhood when they retired.
Not sure what a "starter neighborhood" is but we moved from a city with many amenities within a short walk and even more within a bit more of a drive. We're quite rural now and some/any shopping is within a 20-25 minute drive with most of the rest at least 10-15 minutes further. First we have to get out of the hills-&-hollers. We love it! We drive "smart" by bundling our chores and stops and being retired, avoid the after-work and weekend crowds. The closest "real" city to us (165K) is an hour away.

Moving to a city? I'd caution you to be careful what you wish for. Things we don't miss are traffic, the homeless, yells and screams during the night, the occasional gunshots, sirens, ghetto birds, frantic people always in a hurry, road rage, etc.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-18-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement