U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 AM

5,700 posts, read 4,429,448 times

Advertisements

We want to travel extensively so the old house had become a burden; we wanted a lock & leave situation. We lived on the outskirts of Dallas in a gated community, big house with golfcourse view. Moved into Dallas....condo in the residential tower of a hotel. Across from a rail & bus station. The condo is 1/3 the size of the house. Traded my suv for a mini cooper. The hotel has tons of amenities and I am actually using the fitness facility most days and we are walking to restaurants and even shopping. It feels like we have moved to another city tho I have lived in the DFW area for decades.

I think you need to keep the things you really liked about the old place.
Things we changed but retained:

good view (of the city vs. golf course)
Single story (elevator to car garage & street but inside single)
Space (we don't have extra rooms now, but have the same rooms we used in the old house..... just no longer have rooms we wandered thru and never used)
Lovely garden -- but now shared and maintained by the staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,310,125 times
^^^ my mom did this. Went from a huge house on an acre to a 2 bedroom apt.

She loved the house and taking care of the yard, but after her DH passed it became like work.

Now she has public transport to anywhere she wants to go, as well as her car which is safely in the parking garage attached to her building. She can walk to groceries, restaurants, pharmacy, etc.

When she needs grass under her feet she hops the train to the 5 acre property in the country for a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or