U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 05:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,159,915 times

Advertisements

My MIL is turning 80 - she really doesn't need anything - but what are nice ideas for gifts for the elderly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
Flowers ... and your time.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,159,915 times
She is getting our time - we are going there to de-clutter her house and pay for cleaners to come in this weekend.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:45 PM

753 posts, read 706,683 times
note cards and greeting cards and the stamps for them; if she has a kindle reader maybe a prepaid credit card to stock up; restaurant gift card for going out or delivery; gift certificates for car wash and detail.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 PM

16,357 posts, read 10,346,234 times
just a hug, and maybe a small dinner party with family.

Take her out if she's able-to a nice family restaurant. Ask if they can provide a small cake.

If she's got a suitcase of photos, offer to help her label and sort them.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:23 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,067,156 times
A nice set of bed sheets, a couple of new bed pillows, and perhaps a couple of bath and hand towels. Even if she has plenty of these, there's nothing like a fresh new set in updated colors.
Then have her choose a set of old sheets and towels to throw out, to keep down the clutter factor. We regularly did this for my grandmother, mother, and mother-in-law.
If she lives at home and cooks, consider getting her some new dishtowels and dishcloths to replace the worn/dated ones she likely is using.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,724,848 times
You could hand-make her a pretty book of 'tickets' with something written on each one. Oh, I don't know -- use your imagination. A ticket for dinner at a restaurant, or you'll come over with your hubby and make dinner for the three of you. A ticket for housecleaning. A ticket for a morning and/or aftn outing -- wherever she wants to go -- and you'll pay for it. You could also take her clothes shopping -- she probably needs clothing she can get into and out of easily. And how about pretty, soft nightgowns or pajamas?

More than anything -- and this may be very hard to do, depending on whether or not you're still working -- she needs time and attention. She needs to be 'included' regularly. Like bring her over to your house at least once at week for dinner and then TV afterwards (or whatever you do after dinner) -- maybe she could spend the night once in a while too? (Or is she already living with you?) She will love waking up and having breakfast with you and her son. Yes, Yes, I know, but she's not going to be around all that much longer.

I wish I had done just that for my grandmother -- given her more time and attention and included her more in 'everyday stuff'. But she died when I was in my late 30s, and my ex and I were so busy with children, work, school. Still, I could have carved out more time for her.

Oh, you didn't say if her husband is still alive or not.

I'm sure you include her in holiday celebrations/family get-togethers, but she (and possibly your FIL) needs more than that.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:03 PM

21,876 posts, read 14,390,517 times
It depends on what she likes to do. Movie tickets? Gift card for her favorite store? Gift card for a massage or salon visit?

Or a nightgown. Fluffy new towels. A really nice sweater if she gets cold easily.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 PM

17,407 posts, read 21,249,654 times
How about a gift that will send her, and the viewers, into fits of laughter?

Go a an Adult Book Store, buy one of the biggest, put in into a long, narrow box, wrap it, put a bow tie on the top, with a little card: For a woman who now has everything she'll ever need!

I did that to a co-worker at a retirement party for her at a restaurant, and the laughter, picture taking never stopped!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:18 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,891,633 times
Anti wrinkle cream that is loaded with vitamins. I saw an 80 something lady looking for something like that at Sam's a couple months ago. She said she just hated all her wrinkles. I would never have thought that would be important to someone that age.

She was so cute and had a sense of humor. She said, "I would really like a facelift but I cannot get my children to pay for one."

At a friends funeral someone said she had told a person trying to match her up with a male friend, "I don't need a man; I have an electric blanket."

If you are helping her de clutter and clean, I would think that is about the best thing you could do.

I don't know how much you have to spend but the biggest need for someone living alone is an alert system to help them get help if they fall and cannot get up. I think anyone living alone could use this.

My brother and sil used to come about once a week and take care of paying my mother's bills. I also heard them helping with insurance claims. That can get really taxing on old brains.

Last edited by NCN; 04-06-2015 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or