U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:46 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times

Advertisements

artistic///HOORAY

Creative hobbies help prevent mild cognitive impairment, dementia - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 05:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
"Finally, the study found people who regularly used a computer reduced their risk of mild cognitive impairment by 53 percent."

Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
Exercise would also be very good. Every part of your body needs O2. More fresh blood with fresh O2, better for the whole body, which includes the brain.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

I'm with augie! Exercise - facilitated with a good hiking dog. You want a solid, large working dog. The kind that is made for marathon walks at a measured pace. Working dogs have the added advantage that they are intelligent and can think independently. Some people say this is "stubborn". I have found through experience that it means the dog discerns something you don't - and it would be to your advantage to take heed.

The more variety in the walks, the more useful your dog becomes in conveying information.

Forgive the digression: I once had a rescue dog that had been cooped up all its life. The first couple weeks I had him, he would insist on pulling me to the other side of the street if we came upon a dumpster. He was genuinely concerned about seeing a bunch of cows, fenced in, doing what they do.

After a summer and a lot of trails, I could take him anywhere and if I was uncertain about which fork to take on the return part of a trail to get back to the car, he would take the correct fork.

I picked him because he was calm, did not cower, and presented dignity - despite being in the humane society zoo with all of the noise and craziness that entails.

Boy do I look forward to nice long walks with a good walking dog again!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 AM

16,355 posts, read 10,343,687 times
dog lover here too but not everyone can have a dog.Or wants a dog.

Nice to know my embroidery is good for something besides stuffing in a suitcase. I've often said it keeps me sane. I thought I was joking. Maybe I wasn't.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
I like making mechanical puzzles. If I forget how to solve them,,, I have a hammer and a woodstove! (Heat + good therapy too!)... (beats kicking the dog!)

I feel diet is equally important to sustaining cognitive stamina.

in a single word... Discipline

(from my experience... beware of those who are OCD on keeping cognitive / mentally sharp. They seem to be the first to go over the edge (very possibly from bringing on years of additional mental stress in their futile attempt to stay 'sane').)
Our bodies and minds are very resilient, but can only take so much! 20 hrs of crossword puzzles / day for 20 yrs to 'keep sharp' might be TOO MUCH!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-09-2015 at 03:01 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 11:01 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,669,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
dog lover here too but not everyone can have a dog.Or wants a dog.

Nice to know my embroidery is good for something besides stuffing in a suitcase. I've often said it keeps me sane. I thought I was joking. Maybe I wasn't.
It doesn't surprise me when I think about what is involved in some hobbies, the level of concentration etc.
I knit/spin/weave and used those activities as relaxation and being zen to de-stress after work. Yesterday I found a knitting mistake 6 rows down and after two hours and multiple attempts before I figured out how to fix it. I did give my little gray cells quite a workout while working on my patience too.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-09-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 03:14 PM

6,580 posts, read 1,357,711 times
I have read that Sudoku and Scrabble are great -- and, fortunately, I enjoy both!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM

5,174 posts, read 8,696,248 times
Smile Me too

Used to play Words with Friends with all my daughter's friend when she was in HS. I love Sudoku also.

I love any game.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
I don't know if genealogy is on any lists but it sure gets you into thinking, problem solving, and learning new things. Basically it's a great big puzzle about YOUR family and yourself.

Most of it can now be done online and you get to print out a family tree.....eventually. (Patience required.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement