U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM

424 posts, read 386,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by csatt1 View Post
I'm going to retire at age 65. When I applied online the form didn't ask about or give any info about SS payments. I figured they would ask for more information when they accepted my application. I have applied for benefits and received my letter from the SSA. I was informed I will be qualified to receive medicare A and B in October. However the letter did not mention receiving my SS check or payments. It did say medicare was all the benefits I could get at this time. I thought maybe I had to apply for the payment benefits with a different form or on a different website, but can't find anything on the SSA website. Any suggestions?
Please look at the letter you received. If it has your SS# and the letter T after it, you only applied for Medicare and not for your benefits. If that is the case, you must go back online and click "apply for Retirement". Thankfully, the month you are interested in choosing as your retirement, (65) is a future month, so you have not lost out on any checks.

Because if your award letter does have that letter "T", and not an "A", that application for Medicare ONLY, is not protective for cash benefits.

In terms of an estimate, there is a link on the ssa.gov website for "My Social Security". You need to set up an account, answer some sort of tricky questions, so they know it is truly you and then you can get your estimates and review your earnings record. (That is another tab- be certain to click it.). However, because it seems like you applied for at least Medicare, I am not certain if you will be able to do "My Social Security". If that is the case, then call 1-800-772-1213 (SS toll free #) and they can give you an estimate. If you want an appointment, they can make one for you as well.

Any other questions, be sure to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM

58 posts, read 36,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
However, because it seems like you applied for at least Medicare, I am not certain if you will be able to do "My Social Security".
I have a "My Social Security" account, and am not enrolled in SS or Medicare yet. It is not a prerequisite. I use it to keep up with my earnings record and estimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or