Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 04:43 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
Well, it depends on what HER's means! I had previously explained that if Dave's spouse was only receiving her own RETIREMENT benefits, it would have no effect. If she was just receiving "her small spousal kicker" of $129.00 yes, it would just affect that.

But, if she was only getting the small spousal kicker, it would be small because it would be a "combo - of her own retirement, and part of Dave's, so NO, she would not be getting DRC'S.

But, we were having his wife file JUST as HIS WIFE, at her FRA, which unfortunately is when Dave is not at his FRA. So, his work is the "problem".

She was not filing for her own retirement until she reached 70, and then she would get her DRC's.

This is the way I'm seeing it too. The plan is for my wife to file at her FRA and probably retire from her part time job. She will be 66 1/2 and I will be 64 1/2. As she will now be relying on that check from 1/2 of my benefits for spending money while I continue to work she will most certainly be effected by me working. And because she has not filed on her own if I'm not mistaken my work will suspend several of her checks, she will get no checks for a few months as we "catch up".

This is correct right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 04:47 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
yes , correct. when you go over the limit they consider it as if you had not filed at all on the give back so her benefit will be effected by you going over the limit.

who woulda thunk it .

Old 04-26-2015, 05:06 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post

P.S. planted two new rose bushes. But, the trouble with living in Maine is rocks! New England rocks! Takes me forever to dig nice big holes. But, met so many friendly people who were walking by. I love it here!
Don't ya love it when ya hit a rock that seems huge, till ya dig it out and it's the size of a quarter

Old 04-26-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes , correct. when you go over the limit they consider it as if you had not filed at all on the give back so her benefit will be effected by you going over the limit.

who woulda thunk it .
So as of today the limit is somewhere around $37,000 for a couple right? I wonder if my work would be willing to lower my pay for a year and a half to the minimum, then give me the difference when I retire? That's a bit much to ask and I'm not sure it would be legal.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:58 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i think that is a fine line for them heading towards possible tax fraud if they do that . but you can ask . i can't really say since stuff like that is likely done a lot.

a couple can earn 15,720 each this year before you lose 1 dollar for every 2 earned.

During the year you reach full retirement age, and up until the month you reach full retirement age, Social Security will deduct $1 for every $3 you earn that is over the annual earnings limit, but a different earnings limit applies the year you reach full retirement age.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-26-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
So when you say she will "file" at her FRA, she will file Restricted, for just yours? I missed that, I guess.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:46 PM

426 posts, read 506,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
So when you say she will "file" at her FRA, she will file Restricted, for just yours? I missed that, I guess.
Yes, that is an option he has, or I guess she has. But, who knows what they will do- or what the rules will be, but it is a good option- for some people.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Don't ya love it when ya hit a rock that seems huge, till ya dig it out and it's the size of a quarter
It's funny you say that- because I was on the verge of calling out my husband to help me get the rock out of the hole. It was loose, like a tooth, but I couldn't get it. But, then I said, he will do it in two seconds, after I was dealing with it for at least 15-20 minutes, and he will get all the glory.
So, I persevered, and lo and behold, it wasn't that big - like a little bigger than a softball.

But, of course, the next hole had another one, and no matter the size, it was killer.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Yes 1/2 of mine. What we have determined is 1/2 of mine is a bit more than her FRA number, so she will file against my earnings, forcing me to file too at 64 1/2, then when she turns 70 she can file under her own earnings and get a few hundred dollars a month bump.

mathjack: So even if my wife does not work my earnings are limited to $15,700 (today's figure)? I thought that was more like the one person figure with a couple limited to twice that.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So as of today the limit is somewhere around $37,000 for a couple right? I wonder if my work would be willing to lower my pay for a year and a half to the minimum, then give me the difference when I retire? That's a bit much to ask and I'm not sure it would be legal.
Well, it wouldn't work like that. Because your wife can earn 1 million dollars and it won't affect her checks, but the $37,000.00 on your W2- you would need to apply the math the way I showed with the 50000.00.

Now, you have to have your boss put your wife on the payroll, and you take a sabbatical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement