U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:15 PM

739 posts, read 1,609,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
Yes!
Thanks to you too, Cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM

I thought of another question: If I file at 62 for my own SS and file for spousal as well, could I keep those benefits even if my wonderful spouse passes away before my FRA? Am I allowed to file as a widow at my FRA?

Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
No. She cant collect anything until she is 62. Then it will be more like 75% of 1/2 of your FRA, assuming she has none of her own. She has to wait until 67 to get fully 1/2 of your FRA.
As stated in the opening post my wife reaches FRA 2 years before I do. I now understand that if she waits until her FRA to collect she can file and collect 1/2 of my FRA benefit even though I am 2 years from FRA. This will give her the opportunity to wait before filing on her own earnings, allowing them to grow, before filing at age 70 and getting an increase over the 1/2 of my benefit she has been receiving. The question is do I need to file at the same time as my wife for her to get 1/2 of my benefit? Can she file against mine while I wait to allow my benefit check to increase? Or can she only collect if I have filed?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 PM

71,501 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
I thought of another question: If I file at 62 for my own SS and file for spousal as well, could I keep those benefits even if my wonderful spouse passes away before my FRA? Am I allowed to file as a widow at my FRA?
you cannot file at 62 for your own and spousal. you only get your own.

as far as your question did your file for benefits at 62 too?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As stated in the opening post my wife reaches FRA 2 years before I do. I now understand that if she waits until her FRA to collect she can file and collect 1/2 of my FRA benefit even though I am 2 years from FRA. This will give her the opportunity to wait before filing on her own earnings, allowing them to grow, before filing at age 70 and getting an increase over the 1/2 of my benefit she has been receiving. The question is do I need to file at the same time as my wife for her to get 1/2 of my benefit? Can she file against mine while I wait to allow my benefit check to increase? Or can she only collect if I have filed?
you need to file first before your wife can get a spousal off you.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you cannot file at 62 for your own and spousal. you only get your own.

as far as your question did your file for benefits at 62 too?
I am 60 and haven't filed for anything yet.

My husband isn't well, which made me think about these things and making a plan. If I file for my own SS at 62, it would give us some extra income until I turn 66, when I can file for spousal benefits (right?). That would be half of what his full benefits are, which he is collecting at present. Unless I file for my own at 62 as well as spousal benefits, which would be a percentage of his current amount but not fully half.

If he should pass away, then I would file for widow's benefits and if I am 66, they will be the full amount of what he is now collecting.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,991 times
A little known fact is that the Social Security retirement benefit collection status of your spouse in the month you file for early retirement benefits determines whether you are considered to also be applying for spousal benefits. Therefore, it makes sense to apply for retirement benefits in a different month than your spouse if one or both of you are applying before full retirement age.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
I am 60 and haven't filed for anything yet.

My husband isn't well, which made me think about these things and making a plan. If I file for my own SS at 62, it would give us some extra income until I turn 66, when I can file for spousal benefits (right?). That would be half of what his full benefits are, which he is collecting at present. Unless I file for my own at 62 as well as spousal benefits, which would be a percentage of his current amount but not fully half.

If he should pass away, then I would file for widow's benefits and if I am 66, they will be the full amount of what he is now collecting.

noooooooooooo . no and no . , once you file before you are fra you cannot switch to spousal benefits .

all you will get is a kicker added to your own when your spouse files if 1/2 their full is more than what your full would have been if you waited until fra. you do not get 1/2 their benefit if you filed early.

that difference between 1/2 their full and your full is added to your own early benefit you are already collecting.

once you file early your benefit is yours forever with few exceptions . true spousal benefits are available to only those who do not file before their own fra. there will always be a penalty for filing early applied ..

as far as survivior benefit :
at fra you would get what your husband got if it was higher as a survivor benefit.. if under fra your survivor benefit would be the higher of either your husbands benefit ,if you filed at 60-61 vs your husbands full x.71 or if you filed at 62 the higher of your husbands benefit or his full x .81 . you get the higher of the two as a survivor benefit.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-22-2015 at 02:45 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
So I file early at 64 1/2, my wife files at the same time as she is at FRA and receives 1/2 of my FRA benefit. If she dies 5 years later will I be entitled to survivor benefits from her earnings on top or my own benefit even though her benefit is much smaller than mine?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,265,106 times
No. If her benefit is smaller than what you currently get, you get nothing additional on her death. The only way the larger earning spouse can ever get any spousal benefit is to file Restricted at FRA, and then collect 1/2 of spousal FRA, while allowing their own to increase, just like her scenario you mentioned above. But you, as the larger check must file Restricted, meaning you are restricting the application to your spouses benefit, otherwise SSA always gives you the larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement