U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,785 posts, read 4,841,461 times
Reputation: 19463

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Good point. Money isn't everything. Disclaimer: I am not arguing against cost of living being an important factor in deciding on retirement location. But it seems in the example cited it may have been the only factor, or at least the major factor to the exclusion of some other very important ones.

Those of us who live in major metropolitan areas may assume that other places have the same level of variety and the same level of tolerance as what we are used to. I can only imagine the rude wake-up call that the San Francisco couple received.

Nor am I saying that "politically conservative, church-oriented" people can't be very nice people and can't make good neighbors. But I wouldn't like to be the odd man out in that situation either. Not that I am "politically liberal" myself, but I am not at all the same kind of "conservative" which I imagine one would encounter in rural Tennessee.
As a person who lived my entire life in the Sacramento area, known as the MOST diverse city in the country, and moving to a neighborhood beyond the suburbs of Knoxville TN, I can tell you that it only makes a difference if you think it does. What I mean is that I am BY FAR more liberal than even my California friends, and yet I am very content in conservative, red state, bible belt TN. My personal beliefs are not any of my neighbors' business and vice-versa. I avoid talking politics with people because my beliefs are not up for debate, and I certainly wouldn't try to change anyone else's in a social setting. One thing about eastern TN that is almost universally said is that the people here are so very NICE. Now I know that means a lot of different things to different people, but it means to me that I am accepted wherever I go so long as I am NICE too. What they say about me after I leave, well who cares? I would like to know what the "rude wake up call" these folks received was...did they find out that Christian conservatives exist and they are anti-abortion? Well gee, maybe they should have read a paper once or twice in their life. It's sort of like moving to France and expecting people to speak English.

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-11-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2015, 09:35 AM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
3,181 posts, read 2,857,897 times
Reputation: 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
As a person who lived my entire life in the Sacramento area, known as the MOST diverse city in the country, and moving to a neighborhood beyond the suburbs of Knoxville TN, I can tell you that it only makes a difference if you think it does. What I mean is that I am BY FAR more liberal than even my California friends, and yet I am very content in conservative, red state, bible belt TN. My personal beliefs are not any of my neighbors' business and vice-versa. I avoid talking politics with people because my beliefs are not up for debate, and I certainly wouldn't try to change anyone else's in a social setting. One thing about eastern TN that is almost universally said is that the people her are so very NICE. Now I know that means a lot of different things to different people, but it means to me that I am accepted wherever I go so long as I am NICE too. What they say about me after I leave, well who cares? I would like to know what the "rude wake up call" these folks received was...did they find out that Christian conservatives exist and they are anti-abortion? Well gee, maybe they should have read a paper once or twice in their life. It's sort of like moving to France and expecting people to speak English.
Well said.

Same can be said for our move from Los Angeles to Utah.

But we won't retire here.

Acceptance is huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,785 posts, read 4,841,461 times
Reputation: 19463
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Great post!! I am always looking for interesting posts on retirement and relocation. That piece you posted brought me to a site that had a link to another. I think it is something people can relate. Linked here Retirement Relocation Is Not for Sissies and some points highlighted below.

I thought both of these thoughts have not been spoken of in these terms but let's see what you guys think.
I like what this article says. I especially liked the part about not waiting for the opportunities to come to you, but to seek them out, and to get involved in the new local community through volunteering.

Golfduo, I know that you are considering moving where I now live, and that your timeline was recently shortened. Everything in this article is very true about TV. We are a community of MOSTLY retirees and the majority are involved with one or more local charities, we have just started our own learning community here in the village and we have access to Oak Ridge Institute for Continued Learning (ORICL). Most of the neighbors are transplants and will have similar experiences in cross-country moves and living far from their family of origin, so we are a tribe of sorts. And just like any tribe, some we like and click with, others not so much. The move isn't for sissies. It is stressful and scary, and exciting and fun. So glad we took the plunge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I like what this article says. I especially liked the part about not waiting for the opportunities to come to you, but to seek them out, and to get involved in the new local community through volunteering.

Golfduo, I know that you are considering moving where I now live, and that your timeline was recently shortened. Everything in this article is very true about TV. We are a community of MOSTLY retirees and the majority are involved with one or more local charities, we have just started our own learning community here in the village and we have access to Oak Ridge Institute for Continued Learning (ORICL). Most of the neighbors are transplants and will have similar experiences in cross-country moves and living far from their family of origin, so we are a tribe of sorts. And just like any tribe, some we like and click with, others not so much. The move isn't for sissies. It is stressful and scary, and exciting and fun. So glad we took the plunge.

You have been following. I am not sure if the move timeline is shortened but my planned ending of work the way I know it today has been shortened. My wife has not changed her timeline and she is the boss. TV is certainly on the list and once my work week becomes something different I will make some physical trips to TN to scout around. How long of a drive is it to Atlanta from there? In particular the airport because of flights of particular interest to us. We are considering Chattanooga for that particular reason as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,785 posts, read 4,841,461 times
Reputation: 19463
It is almost 3 hours to Atlanta, depending on traffic in Atlanta, it can be as much as 45 minutes longer (they have BAD traffic). Nashville is also 3 hours. I have flown out of Knoxville's tiny airport too, and it basically means taking a small plane to either Atlanta or Chicago (1 hour flight) and then changing planes. So depending on if you prefer driving longer or flying longer, you have 3 options. Chattanooga is nice. I like it a lot. It doesn't have the lakes we have, and of course the village is all about making new friends, so that might be harder somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Reputation: 27677
This is better than many of the articles of this type and has kind of a different spin with the local culture.

There are so many people both on this board and on some of the local boards who state they are retiring from some prosperous, rich, liberal metro area and want to move to some rural, often poor, conservative areas. Many of these moves involve a lot of money made by their home equity up north. A half-million dollar home in CA/Boston/NYC etc may only be a $150k home in flyover country. These people can pocket a ton of money, and live the high life without a mortgage in some rural area.

They often bring their politics and liberal beliefs with them, then feel isolated when they aren't like the locals. Those who move to small towns or rural areas where everyone knows everyone will almost always be viewed as the outsider or the damn Yankee, no matter how hard they try to fit in. A lot of these folks see nothing but dollars signs and warmer weather, but end up pretty unhappy with the move.

In a lot of these rural areas, medical care isn't going to be of the same quality you'll find in more urban areas, to the extent that it exists at all. Unless you're an outdoorsy type, there often isn't much to do in rural areas.

I'm from a small town in TN and the appeal of retiring there is really the outdoors, cost of living, and temperate weather. If you like hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, etc, it's got a wealth of outdoor opportunity. If you don't like the outdoors, there really isn't a lot to keep you occupied. Sure, there are little festivals here and there, but not a ton. Not much in the way of fine arts, concerts, fine dining, etc. The local hospitals are fine for basic needs, but if someone in the area comes down with something serious, they're likely being treated at Duke or Vanderbilt. Additionally, the area isn't really commutable to any significant city for a day trip - Charlotte is the closest city to my hometown and it's a little more than three hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 02:06 PM
 
8,859 posts, read 5,139,069 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
As a person who lived my entire life in the Sacramento area, known as the MOST diverse city in the country, and moving to a neighborhood beyond the suburbs of Knoxville TN, I can tell you that it only makes a difference if you think it does. What I mean is that I am BY FAR more liberal than even my California friends, and yet I am very content in conservative, red state, bible belt TN. My personal beliefs are not any of my neighbors' business and vice-versa. I avoid talking politics with people because my beliefs are not up for debate, and I certainly wouldn't try to change anyone else's in a social setting. One thing about eastern TN that is almost universally said is that the people here are so very NICE. Now I know that means a lot of different things to different people, but it means to me that I am accepted wherever I go so long as I am NICE too. What they say about me after I leave, well who cares? I would like to know what the "rude wake up call" these folks received was...did they find out that Christian conservatives exist and they are anti-abortion? Well gee, maybe they should have read a paper once or twice in their life. It's sort of like moving to France and expecting people to speak English.
It might be a bigger deal for those who are single but like to date. Or for those looking to make real friendships as opposed to friendly acquaintanceships with those who are nice because that is their manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Reputation: 27677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It might be a bigger deal for those who are single but like to date. Or for those looking to make real friendships as opposed to friendly acquaintanceships with those who are nice because that is their manner.
I have an uncle who is quite well-to-do, politically conservative, not religious, etc, and he is having a heck of a time dating in east TN pushing 60. There just aren't many single women of that age there. It's a sparsely populated area, so there aren't many people period, and it's very socially conservative, so most folks are married.

I am politically conservative, but not religious, and I stand out there. I used to make a big deal about my agnosticism, but I've mellowed out on that as I age. Even still, the culture is so religious (not as much near Knoxville, but in the rural areas, it is) that a lot of what would be secular social activities in more normal areas are run through and by churches. If you aren't religious, then it just feels awkward. I live in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis now, and while there are lots of churches, it feels more "country club Republican" than Jesusland in TN.

I can't see how a San Francisco style liberal would have anything in common with the average person on the street in east Tennessee. People who voluntarily relocate to certain areas do a certain amount of self-sorting anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It might be a bigger deal for those who are single but like to date. Or for those looking to make real friendships as opposed to friendly acquaintanceships with those who are nice because that is their manner.

Petunia you make good points here but Emigrations is right. Rural TN is solidly a bible belt. Anyone moving there that has less religious views or a religious view that conflicts with that will find it difficult to make friends outright. It is not impossible, it just means that a person will have to prove worth so to speak. That term isn't exactly right but it is the closest term I can think of at the time.

Emigrations you are quite right. I don't think I will be out in the rural area but I plan to be in a planned community. I am also kind of unique in that I am like you agnostic or as I call it a retired catholic and my wife is Buddhist.

Shadow I will let you know soon when we will be making our way out that way. Just know that I will enjoy the time visiting. Rothbear and her DW were wonderful showing us around and that made a difference in adding that area in our list. It is a short list of zones and someday we need to focus in to particular communities but the search is so much fun.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 04-13-2015 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: say we instead of I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Reputation: 27677
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Petunia you make good points here but Emigrations is right. Rural TN is solidly a bible belt. Anyone moving there that has less religious views or a religious view that conflicts with that will find it difficult to make friends outright. It is not impossible, it just means that a person will have to prove worth so to speak. That term isn't exactly right but it is the closest term I can think of at the time.

Emigrations you are quite right. I don't think I will be out in the rural area but I plan to be in a planned community. I am also kind of unique in that I am like you agnostic or as I call it a retired catholic and my wife is Buddhist.

Shadow I will let you know soon when we will be making our way out that way. Just know that I will enjoy the time visiting. Rothbear and her DW were wonderful showing us around and that made a difference in adding that area in our list. It is a short list of zones and someday we need to focus in to particular communities but the search is so much fun.
Frankly, a lot of us from small town TN aren't too fond of people from MA, CT, CA, IL, moving to TN to retire. Like I said, most do it in retirement once they've made their fortunes in their liberal states, all the while complaining about taxes, bad weather, etc, then vote for the same liberal politicians they were supposedly running away from back home. Then they'll complain there's no pizza, no subs, no culture, whatever. It's truly exhausting and I wonder why they even bother. I've encountered several in Kingsport that I've basically told that while I know the town sucks, they just need to pack up and go back home.

If people from up north moved to TN, started businesses, and contributed to the community more, that would be one thing, but many of these people view the South as some cheap playground where everything is essentially pennies on the dollar, all the while looking for Mayberry. They want something for nothing, then complain about the drugs, poverty, and crime they never had to deal with up north.

Some people do make the move and succeed, but chances are if you're from MA, CA, CT, IL, etc, you're a liberal Democrat, and would be happiest around other liberal Democrats, which you won't find in TN. Likewise, an MA conservative is likely to be still viewed as liberal in rural TN. I don't think the majority of these moves are healthy for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top