U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Rural TN is solidly a bible belt. Anyone moving there that has less religious views or a religious view that conflicts with that will find it difficult to make friends outright. It is not impossible, it just means that a person will have to prove worth so to speak. That term isn't exactly right but it is the closest term I can think of at the time.

Emigrations you are quite right. I don't think I will be out in the rural area but I plan to be in a planned community. I am also kind of unique in that I am like you agnostic or as I call it a retired catholic and my wife is Buddhist.
I don't know your defintion of rural, but if you go with emigrations def of small town (which at 50k seems a bit 'loose' to me) then no, you wouldn't be all that unique. I think if you spend any time on the two east TN forums you will find there are plenty of non-christian transplants, like myself, who don't have any major issues with the area.
True that a lot of the activities are held at churches, quite possibly because that is a traditional meeting place for social gatherings and also because there don't seem to be many other large indoor spaces other than the churches. It seems kind of logical to me for people to use those spaces. At those activities I have attended I have not been made to feel awkward, or ostracized or whatever, but then again I don't run around judging people for not sharing my (non) beliefs or my political views either. If you're ok with me standing aside while you pray I'm totally ok with you praying, live and let live, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 09:19 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
I know that what Emigrations says is true for him, and maybe true of his home town. Please do not take it as the opinion of most people in Knoxville and its suburbs (including TV). Knoxville is far more diverse than this narrow view. I would say that anyone who moved from one state to another and then talked down about their new place would get a response of "If you don't like it go back where you came from". That would include New Yorkers who moved to California too, for that matter. Many, many people who have moved from all over the country are living perfectly happily in Eastern TN, regardless of their religion or political leanings. When you read on the Knoxville forum, you read thoughtful posts from other locals and transplants. Are a majority of people in TN religious Christians? Yes. Are they all cranky, bitter, and unwelcoming? Absolutely NOT. Most are welcoming, friendly, and helpful.

I believe that it's possible to be friends and have happy relationships with people of different views. I've done it ALL MY LIFE. Even the people in my own family don't have homogenous religious or political views, even between husbands and wives, but we all love each other and get along.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:44 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't know your defintion of rural, but if you go with emigrations def of small town (which at 50k seems a bit 'loose' to me) then no, you wouldn't be all that unique. I think if you spend any time on the two east TN forums you will find there are plenty of non-christian transplants, like myself, who don't have any major issues with the area.
True that a lot of the activities are held at churches, quite possibly because that is a traditional meeting place for social gatherings and also because there don't seem to be many other large indoor spaces other than the churches. It seems kind of logical to me for people to use those spaces. At those activities I have attended I have not been made to feel awkward, or ostracized or whatever, but then again I don't run around judging people for not sharing my (non) beliefs or my political views either. If you're ok with me standing aside while you pray I'm totally ok with you praying, live and let live, no?

Absolutely never in doubt that if anyone wants to pray or not pray is their right given to them and allowed under our laws. As a soldier I stand in support of those rights to ensure that all have those same rights.

As for our trips to TN that will come in the future to see if TN is for us know that I and my wife will give TN every consideration and expect that TN and its people will treat us nicely and be just as friendly as any place can be.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
Before we moved from CA, we were in Asheville, NC checking it out as a possible retirement spot before traveling on to TN. We were very pleased with how nice and kind everyone was that we had met in NC. Then I overheard a gentleman conversing with the desk clerk in our hotel.

Man: People in North Carolina sure are rude!

Clerk: Really? I'm sorry, what happened?

Man: Seems like people here have no manners at all. People are much nicer where I come from!

Clerk: Really? Where's that?

Man: East Tennessee!

I was laughing on the inside because I'm thinking "that's only a hundred miles away. How different could it be??" Not to mention everyone in Asheville and Charlotte had been just so sweet to us. I'm thinking "if this is rude, I HAVE to see TN". Guess what? That guy was right! Two days later in Tennessee (Knoxville, Loudon, Gatlinburg, Sevierville) we were overwhelmed at how outgoing, friendly, and kind everyone we met was. Even when we said we were from CA. Strangers actually sat down and had lunch with us in restaurants and answered our many, many questions, hugged us and wished us well. One restaurant manager sent over a free appetizer and then talked with us at our table for ten minutes or more. Now they MAY have walked away and shook their heads saying "bless their hearts", but if they did we didn't hear it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement