U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:58 AM

16,371 posts, read 10,361,162 times

Advertisements

Don't speak to the management. Write. It's possible they don't know or will only care when confronted in writing.

Start calling the police.

I can't believe it's good business practice to continue to encourage attracting people who don't pay their rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 01:56 PM

6,974 posts, read 12,502,390 times
I have read all of the replies. I thank all of you for taking the time to reply, and your kind words and suggestions. Today so far is quiet, but I know it can start anytime. I walked thru the entire park last night, it is about 60% empty now as snowbirds leave. By the end of the month I am told about 20% more will leave for the summer months. I met some people on one of the streets, that are well aware of the problems near me. Including the house next to them that burnt down a few months ago. I am also told the Park Office burnt down last year, and rumour has it a resident set it. It's a rumour though, so I don't know. Last night the police were in the park, a drunk ran his car into a home of a snowbird that left this week So there are nonstop problems here. I honestly don't know how decent people have been coming here year after year. Makes me wonder what is wrong with them. I have noticed in talking to a number of them. They seem to live in a sort of LA LA type existence. Riding around the park and talking about Jesus. That is between gossiping about everyone in the park. Lol where the hell did I move to.

So my plan is to notify first the Real Estate Company that sold me this home. They will be called first thing tomorrow. I am making it plain by no means will I ever recommend, their company to anyone. I want to know why I was not informed, that homes in this park are given away to undesirables. Just so the park can maintain lot rent coming in vs having vacant homes. Why these occupants get a month free rent, and I get to pay the moment I moved in.

Next since I have already notified the Park Management, of my disgust with the noise and the free homes they offer. Since nothing seems to have been done. Then I am notifying the owner of the park Bayshore Mobile Home Sales. That I am disgusted with what I have seen. That it can't possibly be legal to operate parks in this manner and get away with it.

Then I am going out and see about, getting another home in another park. I have talked to one Park 2 miles away, she was nice and offered some hope. However I have to really watch it with them. I am learning fast that my age group, seems very prone to being taken advantage of. So I want it in writing exactly who lives in these parks, and do they give homes away also. These parks all seem to be owned by large investment groups. I can't seem to find any that are privately owned. There is one in here in Lakeland, but the cost is way out of range for me.

I refuse to live this way. I will be looking for a proper Real Estate Company to sell this home. I will obviously take a tremendous hit, and it will probably take awhile to sell. Now at least I know to ask parks if homes are given away to people, when owners cannot seem to sell their homes. If they do give homes away, then I will know to avoid those parks. I would want it all in writing. In more detail than I got with this park So hopefully all will work out. Thanks.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 04-12-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 03:43 PM

6,653 posts, read 3,764,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would like some opinions about a problem I'm having, where I bought a Manufactured Home. The home is in a supposedly 55+ community in Central Florida. This is an older park where many of the residents are seasonal residents. The problem is some of these homes don't seem to sell, so the owners sign them over to the park. The park then either sells them for barely anything, or just gives them away. That way the park continues to receive lot rent for the Mobile home. Also some of the homes, are just given to people by the home owners, when they can't come to Florida anymore. The problem is the people that take over these homes are undesirable to say the least. I will say many seem to be Rednecks, that don't last a month because they don't pay their rent, or they remain and cause problems. Loud music going all day long. Cars on the street, or parking in other people's driveway when they are not home. I can hear the music in my home from across the street, with my windows closed from one of these low life's I have told the park manager about this noise pollution, and I was told it would be taking care of. Nothing has changed. The man is a drinker and just plays loud loud music. I don't believe he is even 55 and lives alone. The house next to him has another family with similar behavior. All of them got a free house.

I paid cash for my home, and I want to stay here, but not like this. I have no control over this problem. I have only been here 5 weeks, and had no idea this was going on before I moved here. It is one home after another is being given away and then they get a months free rent. While I paid quite abit for a home thru a Real Estate agent, and I got no free months lot rent. How does a senior park get to operate like this. I feel completely taken advantage of. I came here for quiet, and its like living next to college kids. I'm so fed up tonight that I would like to put a for sale sign up, but I like the home and can't afford to just buy another home elsewhere.

Has anyone heard of problems like this in senior Parks. I don't think many of us including myself, would have expected this to be the case in such parks. Family Parks quite possibly but not a senior one.

Any advice what to do? I can see complaining isn't going to do it with the park management. The

owners of the park are called Bayshore Mobile Homes, and I guess they own parks in a number of states. However I don't see how I can speak to them, any further than the park manager.
There are rules and regs, right? Do you have a copy? You may need to send a leter to both the park manager and the owner, reciting the rule about loud music or whatever the rule is.

Is there any way you could move your trailer to another park? Probably too expensive, but it crossed my mind.

Also consider that the lowlifes won't be there forever. As you said, they'll be kicked out when they start missing rent payments.

I lived in a trailer for a while many years ago. It was a nice park. But with trailers (people with low income), with people living so close to each other, noise is part of the deal sometimes. Trailers aren't known for excellent noise insulation. Had you lived in a trailer before?

For the nighttime, get ear plugs. I have some. For the daytime, call the police if the manager isn't responsive. IF the police will take the complaint. Since it's a "community," the noise laws may not apply, since you have your own noise rules.

It will get better. I'm sure it's irritating right now, driving you nuts. But it won't last forever. Try not to make enemies of them, though. If you think life is hard now, you don't wanna know what it would be like if they start hating you.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:46 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,923,982 times
I was caught with a lemon of a house in a declining market many years ago when I was in my early 30s. Never forgot the lesson.

I doubt I will ever buy real estate again. I'm in my mid 50s and don't have dependents, so no house to give away to dependents. And I don't need much space. I prefer drinking quality wines and enjoying the outdoors at the park or to travel than to maintain a house that would only echo my voice.

Buyer beware. To the original poster. SELL as soon as you can.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:30 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,757,627 times
Sad story and I am sorry to hear it. Mr Rational was blunt and unsympathetic but I think he made the right call. Next time, do due diligence.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,655 posts, read 40,029,981 times
the lessons we learn,,, continues through life.

Good luck for a great resolution (I am one that has to have my QUIET.) so know the pain.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:12 PM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times
Quote:
I would like some opinions about a problem I'm having, where I bought a Manufactured Home. The home is in a supposedly 55+ community in Central Florida. This is an older park where many of the residents are seasonal residents. The problem is some of these homes don't seem to sell, so the owners sign them over to the park. The park then either sells them for barely anything, or just gives them away. That way the park continues to receive lot rent for the Mobile home. Also some of the homes, are just given to people by the home owners, when they can't come to Florida anymore. The problem is the people that take over these homes are undesirable to say the least. I will say many seem to be Rednecks, that don't last a month because they don't pay their rent, or they remain and cause problems. Loud music going all day long. Cars on the street, or parking in other people's driveway when they are not home. I can hear the music in my home from across the street, with my windows closed from one of these low life's I have told the park manager about this noise pollution, and I was told it would be taking care of. Nothing has changed. The man is a drinker and just plays loud loud music. I don't believe he is even 55 and lives alone. The house next to him has another family with similar behavior. All of them got a free house.

I paid cash for my home, and I want to stay here, but not like this. I have no control over this problem. I have only been here 5 weeks, and had no idea this was going on before I moved here. It is one home after another is being given away and then they get a months free rent. While I paid quite abit for a home thru a Real Estate agent, and I got no free months lot rent. How does a senior park get to operate like this. I feel completely taken advantage of. I came here for quiet, and its like living next to college kids. I'm so fed up tonight that I would like to put a for sale sign up, but I like the home and can't afford to just buy another home elsewhere.

Has anyone heard of problems like this in senior Parks. I don't think many of us including myself, would have expected this to be the case in such parks. Family Parks quite possibly but not a senior one.

Any advice what to do? I can see complaining isn't going to do it with the park management. The owners of the park are called Bayshore Mobile Homes, and I guess they own parks in a number of states. However I don't see how I can speak to them, any further than the park manager.
Jim Rob,

I'm sorry for your situation. However, whenever you buy a home you should do "due diligence" before entering into this kind of a transaction. This is something you could have discovered before you purchased it.

If you really don't like it about all you can do is sell for a minimal price.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,856,396 times
Quote:

Any advice what to do? I can see complaining isn't going to do it with the park management. The owners of the park are called Bayshore Mobile Homes, and I guess they own parks in a number of states. However I don't see how I can speak to them, any further than the park manager.

I am sorry you have got into this situation as well. I dont see much hope of anything that can help. I fell into a situation that is similar but with less money involved. I paid cash for a time share in a nice area of New England. After using two years and getting steadily higher and higher maintenance fees, so high in fact that I could get a hotel room in the same area for less I told them no more. They did all kinds of threats and after a while they called my home and they told me I can't give it away, I asked why. They said it was mine and so I told them if I own it now then they have just inherited it. They own it. Total loss of lesson was 9000. Never again will I fall for a time share. The same should apply when looking at homes. I have never been a fan of mobile homes or the new term manufactured home. They are too cheaply built and have absolutely no resale value aside from the location and lot. My dad's double wide sold to the owner of the park he lived in for a grand total of 5000. He got that because the owner was his cousin. It would not have fetched more then 2k in any other situation. I actually told my dad to just give it to him as he was 78 at the time and having some health issues and his wife is useless too.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 AM

6,666 posts, read 1,381,826 times
Thanks, OP. Although I am truly very sorry for your pain, reading stories like yours is so very educational to the rest of us. Hopefully, you have saved at least one other person for making a similar mistake!

Personally, though, I think I would much rather live in an apartment than own a mobile home!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:28 PM

6,974 posts, read 12,502,390 times
Thanks again everyone for your replies. I did make my case known to the Real Estate Company that sold me this Mobile. I contacted the President of the company not the agent. I was called and told I would be called, around 6pm this evening about my complaint. From what I was told yesterday, the president of the company will offer to sell the home for much less than a normal commission. I would be shown other homes. I actually cannot afford a 2nd home now, unless the sale of this house covered the next one. So I will make that perfectly clear to them. I don't see how they could think a senior can just turn over a house within 6 weeks.

So I will give them the benefit of the doubt, that they will fix this problem. I will make it very plain again with them. It should be mandatory they make known to buyers, that the park I am in is operating as it does. So the buyer can politely say, Show me a park that does not operate in such a manner. Since the buyer has no contact with the park administrators until the home is sold, and lot rent is paid. The buyer has no idea this crap is going on. It's a scam as far as I'm concerned, and Florida needs to regulate this. Florida is mobile home central especially senior home owners.

I will keep everyone updated, and I do hope people will learn from my stupid mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or