U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 06:03 PM

6,990 posts, read 12,542,780 times

Advertisements

I would like some opinions about a problem I'm having, where I bought a Manufactured Home. The home is in a supposedly 55+ community in Central Florida. This is an older park where many of the residents are seasonal residents. The problem is some of these homes don't seem to sell, so the owners sign them over to the park. The park then either sells them for barely anything, or just gives them away. That way the park continues to receive lot rent for the Mobile home. Also some of the homes, are just given to people by the home owners, when they can't come to Florida anymore. The problem is the people that take over these homes are undesirable to say the least. I will say many seem to be Rednecks, that don't last a month because they don't pay their rent, or they remain and cause problems. Loud music going all day long. Cars on the street, or parking in other people's driveway when they are not home. I can hear the music in my home from across the street, with my windows closed from one of these low life's I have told the park manager about this noise pollution, and I was told it would be taking care of. Nothing has changed. The man is a drinker and just plays loud loud music. I don't believe he is even 55 and lives alone. The house next to him has another family with similar behavior. All of them got a free house.

I paid cash for my home, and I want to stay here, but not like this. I have no control over this problem. I have only been here 5 weeks, and had no idea this was going on before I moved here. It is one home after another is being given away and then they get a months free rent. While I paid quite abit for a home thru a Real Estate agent, and I got no free months lot rent. How does a senior park get to operate like this. I feel completely taken advantage of. I came here for quiet, and its like living next to college kids. I'm so fed up tonight that I would like to put a for sale sign up, but I like the home and can't afford to just buy another home elsewhere.

Has anyone heard of problems like this in senior Parks. I don't think many of us including myself, would have expected this to be the case in such parks. Family Parks quite possibly but not a senior one.

Any advice what to do? I can see complaining isn't going to do it with the park management. The owners of the park are called Bayshore Mobile Homes, and I guess they own parks in a number of states. However I don't see how I can speak to them, any further than the park manager.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 06:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,058,629 times
What are the park rules and regulations, in writing? Start there. Read every sentence. Then you'll have something to back up your complaint with. Also, see if you can find a few others in the park who feel the way you do. If you are paying HOA fees, there has to be some bottom-line guarantee of quality of life. FWIW, I wouldn't suggest knocking on any offender's door.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:11 PM

6,075 posts, read 2,954,503 times
Start calling the police, even if it means you become that guy.

Municipal ordinances on noise vary but even during the day you have every right to have the police come out to attempt to settle the situation. This will both document the problem (and ongoing nature of it) and maybe put some pressure on the management of your community, if it ever comes down to you standing before a city council meeting you have a lot more weight to your statement if you're saying the police have been called out x times.

If you're really lucky the people causing the problem have related issues where they don't want the attention of the police on them.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:34 PM

6,147 posts, read 9,145,842 times
O my. Jimrob,were you not the one in Phoenix, then Tucson, and Mass. too? Now you are in Florida? Alot of moving. Did you see any of these issues prior to moving to this park? What about asking the realtor why none of these "give aways' were not told to you before you paid cash? I think the realtor has some obligation here , but may be I am wrong. What a mess.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:35 PM

28,659 posts, read 62,590,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would like some opinions about a problem I'm having...
Long story short... it appears that you didn't do any checking before you bought.
The legal phrase is "due diligence" ... where you learn these things BEFORE laying out cash.

Quote:
Any advice what to do?
Sell.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,785 posts, read 40,216,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The legal phrase is "due diligence" ... where you learn these things BEFORE laying out cash.

Sell.
BAD Neighbors can really make life miserable... I like to spend a weekend at a new spot before committing (or I visit all hours and check noise levels.)

1) determine the rules / rights of your park
2) see if the park complies (or has any interest to comply)
3) if not... leave.

Go find a ROC (Resident owned community) Mobile home park.
ROC USA : Home
Lower costs / better neighbors / owners / increasing resale value rather than decreasing (rented lots).

Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 PM

30,289 posts, read 47,548,106 times
Caveat emptor...

Old 04-11-2015, 11:42 PM

93 posts, read 170,284 times
"BAD Neighbors can really make life miserable... I like to spend a weekend at a new spot before committing (or I visit all hours and check noise levels.)"

This is a very good thing to do - however, due diligence doesn't always work. Before I bought my current home, I drove through the neighborhood at all hours to check noise levels - quiet as a church. However, this was only because the neighbor across the street happened to be serving out one of his many jail sentences. Soon after I bought my house, his term ended and he was back. He and his brothers and friends commenced making truly incredible amounts of noise, dealing drugs from the house, and causing various kinds of disorder. I hung on for various reasons, including the fact that the other neighbors were wonderful, and the bad neighbor was incarcerated every few years for months at a time, during which the neighborhood was blessedly quiet.

That was 25 years ago, and he still lives across the street. But he's middle-aged now, and the kind of life he's led has taken its toll - he weighs over 400 pounds and has life-threatening health problems, so he lacks the stamina to make a lot of noise very often or cause a lot of trouble. About 45 minutes ago, either he or one of his visitors was out there playing extremely loud music in a vehicle for about 5 minutes - just long enough to make me realize how thankful I am that this seldom happens nowadays.

Jimrob, I truly sympathize with your situation. You may indeed have recourse against the agent who sold you the home, and the agent's company. I studied for a real estate license years ago, and at that time, anyway, RE agents in NY state were legally responsible for revealing serious drawbacks in a property to prospective buyers. An agent in the town where I lived had been sued by buyers over basement water damage that she'd had no knowledge of - the sellers never told her about it - but she was found liable anyway.

Come to think of it, I sold a house five years ago and I remember having to fill out and sign a standard legal form, setting forth all the possible shortcomings of the property. Can't remember now if neighborhood problems were one of the categories.

An intro appointment with a lawyer is usually free, and if you go armed with questions you can sometimes learn a lot. I hope and pray that you catch a break and your situation improves.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:02 AM

20,029 posts, read 19,026,624 times
I don't have anything to add that will help except to add my sympathy. One time I bought a beautiful home in a nice area and in about a month some loud horrible people bought the house in back of us. We tolerated ten years of it and as far as I know those people still live there. There was absolutely no way of knowing. We drove around the area for months before buying.

I don't know if anything can be done about noise during the day. Our crazy back neighbors drank and yelled outside all day long when the weather was good enough to be outdoors. At night there was some town law that required them to tone it down, so they took it inside. It greatly interfered with our quality of life.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:05 AM

18,162 posts, read 23,198,621 times
I am so sorry about your situation. I don't often tell people they should get a lawyer, as there are usually many things a person can do for themselves, but in your case, I think you need legal advice on whether or not anyone is responsible here and what, if anything, you can do.

See if there is a legal aid society for seniors or low income (see if you qualify). Sometimes there are legal services through the local senior center. So, you might be able to get free legal help. It would seem like you might be able to sue the HOA/management for not enforcing the rules you pay them to enforce.

One thing you can do for yourself is contact the corporate office of the owners of the park. You can often find the email addresses of the corporate officers on their websites. I suggest you write them a letter, too. If you have the ability, you could even take a video of the park with sound of the guy with the loud noise, and upload it to Vimeo or a site like that. And include a link to your video in your letter and emails, for the corporate officers to see.

I did this over a management problem in a rental, and I got results. Don't know if it will help you, but if you send an email AND a hard copy of the email mailed to their office, they will look into it, from my experience. When they get a letter in the regular post, they need to do something with it, whereas an email can be ignored. A paper letter must be filed somewhere, it gets passed to different desks, and discussed. These get the best results. Maybe, the corporate office will stop management from letting people stay for free, and require them to clean up the park. I suggest you send it via USPS priority mail letter with delivery confirmation. They'll take it more seriously, and you will have a record of the delivery in case you need it later.

Something else to consider, and maybe look into or mention to a lawyer, is that a development must follow certain laws in order to retain 55+ designation. So whatever authority that enforces that law would be another place you could complain to. Maybe they'll clean things up if authorities start showing up and auditing them.

I do hope you can just get out of this purchase, though. I think cleaning up that park would take an act of Congress. I wish you the best of luck in getting at least some of your money back.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-12-2015 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or