U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,783,140 times

Advertisements

Born in 1950 and never had a draft number that I'm aware of - turned down a full scholarship to Penn State and enlisted in the Marine Corps in late '68. Viet Nam combat infantry service was highly educational. I've many brethren in Valhalla and hope to see them again when I die.

The day I left Paris Island after basic training on Jan 11, 1969 was the 1st day "official draftees" into the Marine Corps arrived there. The Drill Instructors thought it was a hugely sad day for the Corps.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 04-16-2015 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:25 AM

1,202 posts, read 683,126 times
I was born May 3 1954 and the number was 17. Funny thing though, I don't remember getting a letter saying to show up anywhere. I was moving a lot then, so maybe its lost in the mail.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,968,971 times
I was #8 in the 1951 lottery. I had a student defer. but if the war had not ended around April of 73, I would have been drafted. I stayed at the same college hoping that if I did get drafted, I would be a college grad and have musical background to either play in the band or play the organ for a Chaplain. LOL As it was, the war was over by the time I graduated and instead, my first teaching job was to teach Junior High. I often joke what was worse, teaching rude and disrespectful junior high kids or going to Nam? LOL
I would have changed colleges and gone to a better music school if it had not been for the war.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:38 AM

7,689 posts, read 4,725,286 times
In my small hometown a scandal erupted when the high school math teacher (who had four teenage boys) decided to move his family to Canada. Wonder whatever became of them.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,566 times
Born Mar of 1952. Draft lottery Aug of 71 my number was 53. The two lotteries before my number was in the high two hundreds. I had a 2S deferment but after one yr at a comm college I was tired of school and never went back. I was reclassified 1A and Uncle Sam came knocking on my door. US Army 72-74 Military Police and looking back I'm glad I served.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
You must have been very close to getting your draft notice as 20 years old seemed to be the age they were drafting back then.
Dunno! I never thought about it and it never came up.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:42 PM

75 posts, read 192,985 times
Born in1952 and graduated high school 1970. Was lottery #18 which made me prime drafting material. Dropped one too many classes at college and received notice in mail I would be drafted in 30 days. Joined Navy for 3 years guaranteed stateside dute. It was a good experience. I wish I had gotten on a ship but back then but if you were a short timer you chipped paint / polished brass. It was a good experience. Got the GI Bill back then to finish my BA degree and still get benefits in VA Health system. I sometimes feel guilty that I didn't just get drafted and go to Nam. A lot of those guys that survived got really screwed up.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 PM

950 posts, read 715,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OChomepro View Post
Born in1952 and graduated high school 1970. Was lottery #18 which made me prime drafting material. Dropped one too many classes at college and received notice in mail I would be drafted in 30 days. Joined Navy for 3 years guaranteed stateside dute. It was a good experience. I wish I had gotten on a ship but back then but if you were a short timer you chipped paint / polished brass. It was a good experience. Got the GI Bill back then to finish my BA degree and still get benefits in VA Health system. I sometimes feel guilty that I didn't just get drafted and go to Nam. A lot of those guys that survived got really screwed up.

a 3 year enlisted sailor called.........." a short timer"..?

I was a 2 yr draftee in Naval aviation squadrons .........(VR-8 then VA-128 ) and never spent a single day doing that. Worked out on the flight line my entire time.

I would think with a 3 year enlistment you should have gotten an "A" school out of the deal.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:03 PM

611 posts, read 367,848 times
I remember the 1970 lottery being broadcast on TV. I was in college and we were all in the break room watching the numbers come up. Mine eventually come up - it was below 20. (I'm not going to tell you my birthday, lol).
Dang.
The reason I say dang is that I had just dropped out of ROTC. I didn't really object to serving, but I was pretty sure that being an officer in the Army is better than being a corporal or whatever. I dropped because I just didn't have time what with my doing a dual degree in physics and math. I didn't even know the lottery was coming.

So eventually I get the letter and report for the physical, I pass (I was able to get there) except for flunking the hearing test - I was hard of hearing probably due to getting mumps, maybe it was measles.
The doctor going over my physical says "you don't hear too well, do you?".
I said it was not bad and why I thought I had difficulty.
He slumped down in his chair like he was sad, and I asked "Is something wrong?"
He laughed and said No, but he expected me to say "WHAT? WHAT?" because they say when taking the physical. I asked "would it make any difference", and he said "Nope, You'll be going into Artillery".

Sometime later I call my local draft board, and ask the the lady that answers the phone what are the odds of my being called up. She takes my info and says "Hi! I was just talking to your mom yesterday" Small town, huh? Anyway, she comes back to the phone and just says "March 15"
What about March 15? Is that another physical?
"No," she says "that is the day you report for induction. We'll send you a letter."
They never did, Congess canceled the draft a few weeks later.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:24 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,069,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
My buddies and I were all middle class, suburban guys that ranged from pretty straight (me) to semi-hippies. Ironically all the avowed ant-military, anti-Vietnam guys got low numbers and the guys like me got good numbers.
You were lucky. That wasn't the experience in my community. In my graduating class (1966) of 84 (44 guys), 9 were drafted, 4 enlisted, 6 died in Nam. For most of the remaining 7, life didn't turn out all that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement