U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 PM

6,307 posts, read 4,755,565 times

Advertisements

I see no reason for a "living room". I do spend most of the day outdoors. In the evening I sit at the dinette and eat, then clean up and use my computer for photography downloads or Photoshop processing. I do have a separate TV built into the RV. In 4 years and hundreds of days of RV travel, I have never turned it on. For the first two years, I carried very comfortable "zero" gravity lounge chairs. I found I did not like the bother of taking them down and stowing them away later on. Now I just use cheap folding aluminum chairs. I often go days or weeks without using them. Some people think "camping" means sitting around a fire trying to cook hot dogs and burgers. I do that once every few weeks, maybe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,176,472 times
Not sure which would be best for you, need more info on what you want to do exactly, But we just bought a used 33' trailer, already had a 3500HD Dually. We got it to take some trips before husband retires and ultimately to park on a peice of land, kind of combination weekend get a way and emergency fall back place.

We are still going over everything on it and fixing some stuff, nothing major yet, Trailer was in good shape, it is a 2004 Keystone Sprinter, got it for under 7K.

what ever you choose be sure to go to RV forums and read up before you make your decision or purchase.

Good Luck

Old 04-13-2015, 04:12 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,083,028 times
We ended up with an 18" ultralight with a slide out. It is roomy enough for 2 people and at the time 2 dogs, one on the larger side. Of course if the weather was crappy, it got a bit tight but it was small enough/light enough to be able to tow on grades without coming to a near standstill. We started out towing with a Land Rover Discovery but now have a Ford 350 van which does a much better job. We spent less than 20K with taxes/plates on a "last season" closeout. We've been very happy with our choice.

We spent 3-5 months in the trailer in the winter snow birding to AK for five years until our dog got too old to enjoy traveling that much. We parked it in covered parking between uses and it still looks almost new. We now use it to get away for a week or two.

Like jrkliny I fid we use our outdoor furniture not as often as we thought nor as much of the cooking gear but an entry mat is pretty important in locales with stickers or dirt that clings to shoes or pets. We occasionally watched movies on rainy evenings but did that on my DH's computer and our CDs were taken from their cases and put in a soft sided multi-CD carrying case for compact storage. We don't have or need a television. Because I'm a bit of a neat freak and disorder in a small space is especially maddening, we bought a small canister Shop-vac and attached it into a lower cabinet with a hose that goes to every corner to make it easy to keep clean.

We had an unexpected funeral during one of our trips and visited couple of good thrifts stores and then the dry cleaners and laundry for appropriate attire. We donated it all afterward. I think we sent less the $60 even with the dry cleaning. Much better than overpacking.

What ever you decide, have fun. I'd agree with others not to go all in until you decide that the gypsy life is for you. Good luck.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 04-13-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,030,249 times
I have seen a number of people say no to a trailer because they didn't want to tow. They buy a motorhome and then wind up towing a car behind it for local transportation when set up in a RV park.

I would buy a larger truck based SUV over a pickup. It is more useful when not towing.

I was a commercial traveler for 20 years, the hotel, motel scene has nothing for me.

Bigger and better are not the same thing.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:26 PM

8,408 posts, read 9,157,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
First thought - I would run away from the F150, and get a F250 or F350 instead.
Towing capacity.

Second thought - Advantage of an RV - safety.
Don't have to leave the vehicle if you need to drive away quickly.
I agree on the F150 issue.

But this safety thing of which you speak? Makes no sense.

Plus of a trailer: you can leave the trailer in the park and sight see or go to a restaurant in the truck. And you have a truck year round for doing truck stuff or simply as vehicle #2.

Minus: pain to back in or park. Less happy of a driving experience

Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,339,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Have you traveled this way before and are you certain that you will enjoy it? You're talking about big investments of money and time. It might be worth your while to rent and take a trip in each before you lay out money for a purchase.

My wife thinks it would be fun for us (meaning me) to drive an RV around the country when we retire. I'd rather drive a car and rent cabins along the way, which would be a lot cheaper once you figure in capital investment and gas costs.
When I retire, I plan on traveling around the country with my dog, a standard poodle. I thought about a trailer or RV but it just doesn't make a lot of sense for 1 person and 1 dog, especially with the proliferation of pet friendly accommodations all over the country.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:42 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,244,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I agree on the F150 issue.

But this safety thing of which you speak? Makes no sense.
Maybe not to a married couple or maybe not to someone comfortable with guns, but as a single female person it does make sense.

Also had friends back east given 10 minutes warning of a flood coming to the campground.

To each their own

Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,727,958 times
When money is not as big an issue, there is nothing more enjoyable than an RV. Especially a class A. I have had both. A class A RV, and a ultra lite travel trailer. When you get older, you tend to gravitate to "comfort" more, and having a comfortable bed to sleep in, and nice recliner to sit back on and watch TV at night or surf on your laptop, and a refrigerator bigger than a med. size cooler is very high up there in my preferred list. Age does matter.

When shorter trips like a weekend or maybe a week is all you will be using it for, then a smaller TT could fit the bill. But if you plan on using it for longer trips, I think an RV is preferable or a medium size travel trailer that is well built and comfortable. As far as RV's go, there is a lot to be said for having your house at your disposal as you drive. Making lunch while your partner drives, or a cup of coffee. Taking a short nap before you take the wheel. Watching some TV while your partner drives. Also the view from inside a class A can really be spectacular.

On the truck. Forget about using the F150. We made such a move once with a Toyota Tundra, that was supposed to be able to pull our super lite 20" TT. What a nightmare, and ruined transmission to boot. The sales people trying to sell you a trailer will tell you, "sure no problem". Don't for one second believe them.

Don't misunderstand. A travel trailer can be fine. Just make sure you have ample power to pull it. There is nothing more stressful to pulling a trailer up even a small hill and hearing your motor struggling and your truck slowing down to a crawl.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 PM

8,870 posts, read 5,147,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
When I retire, I plan on traveling around the country with my dog, a standard poodle. I thought about a trailer or RV but it just doesn't make a lot of sense for 1 person and 1 dog, especially with the proliferation of pet friendly accommodations all over the country.
Staying in cabins is a fun way to go, but you should give thought to the sort of places you are wanting to visit.

For me, I want to stay in various state parks which heretofore has mostly been not possible. Generally, they do not offer cabins.

However, if you are wanting to visit national parks, you can enjoy their accommodations if you plan ahead.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 PM

28,541 posts, read 62,270,607 times
If you don't already OWN the big dam truck needed to pull the good sized trailer you also don't OWN...
think long and hard about NOT buying both ... or trying to thread the needle of weights vs features.

Find a used Class A and by that be done in one step.
Then buy a tow bar (TOAD) set up for the smallest car you already have.
Or sell/trade that in for a smaller & less valuable vehicle.

Try it all out for a year or two and learn what works for YOU and what doesn't.
Adjust as needed afterward.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-13-2015 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or