U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM

6,307 posts, read 4,755,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If you shop carefully for a used travel trailer, then take good care of it while you own it, it doesn't depreciate much.
Absolutely. There is very little depreciation for a used RV. Most of the depreciation occurs as it is driven off the lot when new. A well maintained used unit can resell for more than what you paid for it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 AM

7,719 posts, read 4,744,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
When I retire, I plan on traveling around the country with my dog, a standard poodle. I thought about a trailer or RV but it just doesn't make a lot of sense for 1 person and 1 dog, especially with the proliferation of pet friendly accommodations all over the country.
Is his name Charley, by any chance?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:04 AM

7,810 posts, read 4,400,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is his name Charley, by any chance?
Ha! Does he stick his nose in your ear and go "Ffft!" when he needs a "rest stop"?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM

I think cost is a minor issue. If you really want to visit our national parks and grand scenic areas, an RV makes sense and you will use it a lot. If that is not what you want then a few short visits staying in lodging and eating in the restaurant are likely to suffice.

Last edited by jrkliny; 04-14-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 1,987 times
Retirement is stranger than I imagined. I'm not good at being land-locked. The RV I lived in for 3 years is still standing, but isn't moving. It's been victimized by the elements of multiple climates, unavailability of components for locations or cost and, how incredibly cramped and inconvenient, besides seriously expensive the machine you're living in is. "Feed me, Seymour!" Living outside is a little tougher on the mature body than I thought it might be. My friend didn't have a lot of great stuff to say about her travel trailer and truck combo, either. Her, surprise repairs in the middle of nowhere made mine look like chicken feed. Being blind sided by a $700 panel that had come unhinged and damaged on the road made her cry.

Yes, I'm a woman and, no, I couldn't get anything new. If you are Superman and independantly wealthy, my best advice is still, to put your faith in lodgings. There are fabulously unique lodgings in places that will amaze you. Have a wonderfully convenient home and go away for holidays. Timeshare is very affordable for places you wouldn't believe you can go to and live nearly as well as at home, way-inexpensive for lodgings if you vacation with any regularity. Consider how you won't have to work to sell or support the thing when it's a piece of junk begging to retire as yard art, somewhere. That might not be very convenient, either.

Lastly, consider that 30 seconds from now hasn't happened yet. Bad surprises come in a lot of forms that can undo us. Payments on a thing you can't use because the flush system is awkward, the luggage is up a ladder, the awning is stuck -- your hip hasn't stopped screaming in a week or the medication messes with your eyes...

I really do believe I have more control, more freedom, more options and more of what I want than what I don't because I gave up on the wonderful, wild independence of anywhere and recognized the wisdom of finding an inn. Have a GREAT retirement!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 AM

7,719 posts, read 4,744,332 times
I've been mildly obsessed with the idea of having a small RV since my ex and I bought a Vanagon back in the eighties. He wanted it to carry his bass fiddle in but I fell in love with it on our first road trip. Get tired on the road? Hubby drives, you nap -- sleeping horizontally is heaven -- or sit at the flip-up table in the back.

Oh Vanagon, how I loved thee. Why did I let him have you in the divorce?

So I've been vacillating for years. 19 ft Class C? Cute but the cabover bed is not real comfortable. Roadtrek? Expennnnsive! Rialta? Maybe. I dunno.

I can't seem to decide. When I envision it, I'm on the road solo, traveling light, no set destination. In my mind's eye I have conveniently forgotten I'm now married to a guy who brings all his belongings on a trip because you just never know if you're going to need an 8 port Ethernet hub on the rim of the Grand Canyon. Or if bringing one flashlight is good, eight is better. Including the one I bought him last Christmas that could illuminate the whole Canyon at night.

Fantasy has such an unpleasant way of bumping up against Reality.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 AM

A $700 repair is more than I have spent total in 4 years of ownership and approximately the equivalent of 2 years of use. So what is the big deal about a $700 repair? A week in a motel will cost you way more than that. In fact a week of house payments, insurance, and utilities costs me more than that. With minimal repairs and upkeep I plan to keep my $15k truck camper for another 10 years or more. A truck camper is relatively expensive. There are plenty of used, decent trailers available for under $10k.

Speaking of surprise repairs, this Fall I found out I had several diseased oak trees next to my house. I had to remove 7 big, mature oaks. I got a good deal for the removal at only $6k because the wood was still of value for the local saw mill.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 AM

345 posts, read 334,832 times
We have a Jayco 26BH and pulled it with a Chevy Avalanche 1500 with 190K miles on it, it did fine.
Jayco is for sale 1 year later, bored with it lol.
$17k is what we put into this setup and ended up figuring out that could have got us a lot of hotel suites and flights/miles.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM

19,882 posts, read 18,894,234 times
I did my cross country National Park camping many years ago in a tent. We took a motorcycle along and never even used it.

In retirement we stick with a simple popup camper towed by our car. We have looked at small travel trailers and they would probably be better than the popup as they would be less work to put up and take down. However, we only take 3-4 day trips now, mostly to Maine.

I would definitely recommend buying something used, not new. Just like a car, they depreciate the moment you take it off the parking lot. Something with a real bathroom and a little kitchen. Look for plenty of storage and you may need a/c even in the north.

Comfortable beds are important. I have a memory foam mattress and use a sleeping bag. We take aluminum folding chairs because we like to sit outside and read during the day. We have thought about tv but decided against it because we use our laptops or listen to the radio. We carry a lot of things in the trunk and back seat of our car. We have a floor mat on the ground so that we don't track dirt and pine needles inside and we keep a small dustpan and brush in a convenient place.

Camping is not that cheap anymore; we pay about $45/night in Maine for a campsite with hookups. Most of the campgrounds we stay at have a swimming pool and a little camp store but there are campgrounds that are very expensive and we have no need for all the extras. We have a tiny kitchen with a gas stove and little sink, small fridge with a freezer and we have a small microwave. The microwave comes in handy for re-heating meals that we partially ate while on the road as well as for making hot oatmeal without the mess of using a pan, and for heating up the meal that I always bring with us for the first night.

If I were going to travel the country, I would just go for a small sized TT that could be pulled by our car. I don't think bigger is better in camping, keep it simple and just enjoy.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,244,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If you don't have a black tank....

I'm pretty certain you've got something tiny and don't have a RV either!!!

(I have solar on my 28 foot airstream, what's your point!?)

My point was:
Your "reasoning" is not a practical reason for the choice.
Assuming a lot, aren't you?

::: waves good-bye :::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or