Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Camping is not that cheap anymore; we pay about $45/night in Maine for a campsite with hookups. Most of the campgrounds we stay at have a swimming pool and a little camp store but there are campgrounds that are very expensive and we have no need for all the extras. .....
Hence, my recommendations to get solar and avoid the need for hookups. If you want to stay around the campground and enjoy the cable TV and swimming pool and the billiards table, consider motels, time shares and other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Hence, my recommendations to get solar and avoid the need for hookups. If you want to stay around the campground and enjoy the cable TV and swimming pool and the billiards table, consider motels, time shares and other options.
We have no need for billiards or tv. As I already said, nowadays we only go away for a few days at a time. When the motels are $150/night in season, I'll stick with the $45 a night campground.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
.... When the motels are $150/night in season, I'll stick with the $45 a night campground.
Just curious where in Maine that the campground rates are so high?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Assuming a lot, aren't you?

::: waves good-bye :::
Thhhhats about what I expected.

Oh, as to costs:
In ~3 years of ownership and "full timing" (living in it as my primary home) my repair costs for my 19 year old airstream remain under my $50/month repair budget.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Just curious where in Maine that the campground rates are so high?
I'm told that ME site rates are in reverse proportion to bug size.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm told that ME site rates are in reverse proportion to bug size.
lol. Probably true in the woods. But we stay by the ocean anywhere around York or Kennebunkport.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Nice area. I often do stealth (boondock) camping but I would not try it there. The local community, resorts and campgrounds are all making money off the visitor and they don't tolerate anyone visiting for free.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
If you have pets (especially multiple or large) many "pet friendly" lodgings won't take you. Those that do take you and your pets often charge an additional non-refundable pet fee to the tune of $25-30 per night, sometime per pet per night. Gahhh! We traveled our first year in pet friendly lodgings and though we were only out a month and a half, we spent in the vicinity of 5K on lodging alone and we are talking lower-mid range lodgings, not the Hilton.

About a third of the time we had to call around to multiple places to find a place that would take our pets (2 airedales) even with several printed pet friendly guides and online resources at our disposal. More than once we were stuck driving hours past where we wanted to stop not due to no-vacancy but due to us having pets that were more than 15 pounds and the audacity to have two of them! Once, exhausted at 1am we had to beg a night clerk in a motel the last one for the next 160 miles to let us in. They mercifully relented and asked us to be gone by 6am to avoid being seen by the day shift. That was one short night. If people try to "sneak" their animals in and are caught, they are usually ejected and charged a fine at the same time. Read the fine print of an average room contract. It's usually there. If you plan to travel in lodgings with pets, you need to carefully plan out every stop and confirm that your lodging will take your type/number of pets before getting there regardless of what their website or literature might say.

Personally, I have cleanliness issues with many public lodgings. The only way to control our surroundings, travel agenda and our expenses was our travel trailer/RV. Different strokes for different folks. YMMV.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 04-14-2015 at 09:24 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 12:08 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
If you have pets (especially multiple or large) many "pet friendly" lodgings won't take you. Those that do take you and your pets often charge an additional non-refundable pet fee to the tune of $25-30 per night, sometime per pet per night. Gahhh! We traveled our first year in pet friendly lodgings and though we were only out a month and a half, we spent in the vicinity of 5K on lodging alone and we are talking lower-mid range lodgings, not the Hilton.

About a third of the time we had to call around to multiple places to find a place that would take our pets (2 airedales) even with several printed pet friendly guides and online resources at our disposal. More than once we were stuck driving hours past where we wanted to stop not due to no-vacancy but due to us having pets that were more than 15 pounds and the audacity to have two of them! Once, exhausted at 1am we had to beg a night clerk in a motel the last one for the next 160 miles to let us in. They mercifully relented and asked us to be gone by 6am to avoid being seen by the day shift. That was one short night. If people try to "sneak" their animals in and are caught, they are usually ejected and charged a fine at the same time. Read the fine print of an average room contract. It's usually there. If you plan to travel in lodgings with pets, you need to carefully plan out every stop and confirm that your lodging will take your type/number of pets before getting there regardless of what their website or literature might say.

Personally, I have cleanliness issues with many public lodgings. The only way to control our surroundings, travel agenda and our expenses was our travel trailer/RV. Different strokes for different folks. YMMV.
A sound argument for bringing your "house" with you! I'd like to do that as well someday - and I'm NOT going to board my dog.

Afraid I'm going to have a steep learning curve. Just me and my cousin (sometimes) and a nice big walking dog. I don't have a clue what all these classes of trailers are. I "get" Airstream. I "get" that I'm going to be awfully confused when the time comes!

What a great way to beat the costs of "stay-in-place" living! Also, I agree with jkliny that such a trip would be a super way to place the Chinese wall between working and retirement. Just moving forward is likely to alleviate many of what I suspect will be - in my case - second thoughts about having cut the cord. Starting off in the ol' retirement home right off the bat would, I suspect, lead to at least a bit of unwanted rumination.

But I've got a lot of ideas, lol! Just last night I was thinking (once AGAIN) to buy one of those 1920s huge old houses and turning it into a boarding house for genteel ladies of a certain age and modest means. No, I didn't see Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I'm planning to buy a Class B motorhome ("camper van") in retirement and traveling FT in it for a few years; have been stuck in one place for ages and want to see the country. The plan is to, in the course of touring the eastern seaboard, decide on a beachfront property and buy that, using my RV to travel when it's rented out, which I'll do as much as possible to supplement my pension. I currently drive a compact economy car which wouldn't tow a trailer, and the bus design is easier to handle. A "tiny house on wheels," but it has everything one or two people need. And I was probably inspired by Steinbeck!

Happy trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement