Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
(congested math deleted)
With a $200/day budget you will be staying in some pretty cheap places.
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:52 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Absolutely. That is a very conservative estimate. Go on line for Yellowstone, Rainier, Glacier, Zion or any other national park and see what lodging will cost. Think you can stay outside the parks, drive an extra hour or two every day and save money. Well you will save a little but remember most of the places need to generate their entire income within 3 months of the year. (Also for any trip this summer you better make your reservations now and ideally a few months ago.) What do you think it costs for 2 people to eat in national park concessions or in nearby restaurants. Trying to eat junk at Burger King would cost $50/ay.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 AM

241 posts, read 272,682 times
I would spend some time over at RV.net. Good folks and a lot of information. We started with tent/bigger tent/popup/short TT/longer TT and now looking at Class A.

Couple of points. If you decide to pull a TT then oversize the tow vehicle. For me, I don't tow much with anything less than a F350. Many things can pull something, fewer vehicles and stop what they are towing.

We have decided on Diesel used class A. The suspension makes them safer to drive (IMHO). We are predominately going to use to to commute back and forth (transport dogs) to snow birding destination and will more than likely take a month long trip every year.

Also, if I were going to not do the class A I would get a filth wheel. They are much more stable to pull than a TT. YMMV

Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I'm the kind of guy who likes to do stuff when I get somewhere, so the boat and trailer gets winched up on top of the truck on a steel rack and a travel trailer gets hooked to the receiver hitch. It works great for fishing trips, duck hunting, and tourist stuff you can't do from a car.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Absolutely. That is a very conservative estimate.
The $200 per night you quoted is an AVERAGE of your ownership costs /nights used. Right?
(ftr... I own an RV and have done all this too)

Quote:
Go on line for Yellowstone, Rainier, Glacier, Zion or any other national park and see what lodging will cost.
Yeah, no one disputes that the prime spots will cost more for the time spent there.
But the RV spot fees in those prime spots will cost more too.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The $200 per night you quoted is an AVERAGE of your ownership costs /nights used. Right?
(ftr... I own an RV and have done all this too)

Yeah, no one disputes that the prime spots will cost more for the time spent there.
But the RV spot fees in those prime spots will cost more too.
With senior fees, I pay $7/night to stay in the Yellowstone park at the Mammoth campground. Canyon campground includes showers and is about $10. Those are on the high end of average as are food and lodging. Yellowstone and almost any "prime" spot that you would want to visit will be expensive....way, way more than $200/day.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My husband's idea was to buy an RV with a carrier for a Harley, then use the Harley for transportation once we got where we were going. That probably won't happen if it's up to me. I'm with maf763. I'd rather drive a car (or SUV) and stay in hotels (instead of cabins). My husband wants to go to lakes and I'm not a lake person.
Here's a blog of a lady who travels with her Harley inside (special back room with ramp)
Sassy's on 'Da Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara
Maybe not to a married couple or maybe not to someone comfortable with guns, but as a single female person it does make sense.

Also had friends back east given 10 minutes warning of a flood coming to the campground.

To each their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No it doesn't.

You'll destroy your RV by ripping off the stabilizers, destroy it and incite liability by tearing it your water, sewer, and power connections, etc...

BAD idea.
Hmmm. Did I say anything about stabilizers or hook-up connections? Nope. Besides, I don't have stabilizers or a black tank and I have solar.
And if I was connected, I'd rather hurt my vehicle, than getting hurt myself.
Like I said, to each their own.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 AM

This is a silly conversation. I have camped for hundreds of nights and never worried about a flood or even heard about one.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Here's a blog of a lady who travels with her Harley inside (special back room with ramp)
Sassy's on 'Da Road

Hmmm. Did I say anything about stabilizers or hook-up connections? Nope. Besides, I don't have stabilizers or a black tank and I have solar.
And if I was connected, I'd rather hurt my vehicle, than getting hurt myself.
Like I said, to each their own.
If you don't have a black tank....

I'm pretty certain you've got something tiny and don't have a RV either!!!

(I have solar on my 28 foot airstream, what's your point!?)

My point was:
Your "reasoning" is not a practical reason for the choice.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:40 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Rented a Motorhome last year for five days to see how we liked it.
Decided we are hotel/motel people where you can come and go as you please without have to haul around your belongings. Let somebody else cook your meals and clean up after you.

The depreciation plus operating costs you get hit with on RV or trailers pays for a lot of nights in good hotels.

The RV/trailer lifestyle is not for us.
If you shop carefully for a used travel trailer, then take good care of it while you own it, it doesn't depreciate much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement