U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,177,890 times

Advertisements

I absolutely will NEVER remarry again. I was married for 28 years and had, for the most part, a really good marriage, but it fell apart at the end, and we divorced 17 years ago. Then I lived with a GF for 7 years after that, had a great relationship, but when she decided I was never going to marry her we parted ways.

So, for the past 8 years I have been totally single with no interest whatsoever in getting into another relationship. Life is way too easy this way, I get up when I want, go to bed when I want, spend my money on what I want (without any guilt) and love this total freedom I have.

From the time I was about 16 I have been in one relationship or another, and this is the first time I can enjoy my life for just me. I loved each of the ladies I knew, but now it is my time.

The hottest supermodel in the world could come along and I would run like a scared bunny.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:16 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,078 times
After years of hearing friends and family complain about spouses I am so glad I never did. So, I guess I'd never do it a 2nd time either.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
REMEMBER until death do we part isn't a marriage vow , IT'S A GOAL!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i make it easy . i come with an instruction manual written by my mom .

"the proper care and feeding of my son "

who wants me now ladies ????????? ha ha ha ha
Mathjak, that is SOOOOOO funny!! Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:32 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Looking over the posts, I discern a pattern: the men (except for a few, such as the widower who is raising young children ) would leap right into marriage again. It is to be presumed that they state their preference with eyes open, having previously been married.

Most of the women not only say "no", they say "H*LL NO!!" ...On other threads, there are one or two who are looking for somewhere to live that is bone cheap. A few posts later, they add that they'd prefer a lot of men. For the most part, I daresay that the women who post in this forum do not need a man to make ends meet.
We must have been reading different threads.

The thread I read had about an equal percentage of men and women stating that they wouldn't remarry again.

Interestingly, you seemed to have missed the two women on this thread who's only reason not to remarry was that it would negatively impact their Social Security benefits. And another couple of women who said that they'd remarry for financial reasons if the right (read: wealthy) man was interested.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:19 AM

22,679 posts, read 28,720,526 times
Marry again as a senior citizen. No thanks. I've put in my time taking care of a man, and once a man is a senior citizen, the care and feeding goes beyond picking up his dirty socks and washing his dirty dishes.

I want to vacation where I want to go, see what I want to see, eat meals when I want to eat. I really do not want to visit another World War II airplane museum, twice in one week.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Marry again as a senior citizen. No thanks. I've put in my time taking care of a man, and once a man is a senior citizen, the care and feeding goes beyond picking up his dirty socks and washing his dirty dishes.

I want to vacation where I want to go, see what I want to see, eat meals when I want to eat. I really do not want to visit another World War II airplane museum, twice in one week.
OMG! That is hysterical. Once would be quite enough. I agree though. I think I'm a much better traveler and have much more ambitious travel desires than my hubby. We are in travel limbo now because we have elderly pets that we prefer not to board, but when we are ready to travel more, I fear that we are going to be taking a few separate vacations.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM

2,433 posts, read 1,668,181 times
I would not marry again thinking about it at this point in time. I've got a great spouse and friend that would be hard to replace, I think he's exceptional in many ways. Looking around at the men that I do know, there isn't one that I would be remotely interested in. I've learned to never say never though, so who knows? It's like thinking about whether I will live to a ripe old age and have enough money in the end. It's the future, I have hopes and wishes but no clairvoyant talents.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,722,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
What's the point of marrying when your older? It's only a paper. You can still enjoy each other's company without a certificate. Don't understand why it's an issue when you are retired and not having more children.
I agree.

And while I love men (and all that comes with a man -- but I'm not promiscuous) -- I am not a good picker of husbands/boyfriends. Never have been. (Twice divorced.) //// I'm very introverted and enjoy my own company (most of the time) -- I would definitely never marry again, more than likely never live with a man again, and I'm not so sure I even want a BF again. I'm happy, content, financially all right, and love a lot of silence and solitude.

I have a younger woman friend who is going on 30+ years with her BF. They've never married -- and they've never even lived together. Usually they just phone Monday through Friday (both have demanding careers), and then alternate weekends at each others' homes and go on vacations together (usually -- not always). They never wanted children (I think that's kinda sad). So this has been perfect for them. Come to think of it: Does anyone know of a older retired man who would like that arrangement?? LOLOL I think I could do at least that arrangement fairly well! Then again -- maybe not! LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,466,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Does anyone know of a older retired man who would like that arrangement?
Yes.

Oh wait, I still have a year and a third before I throw away the alarm clock. Shucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or