U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times

Advertisements

I will be 57 this year, have been married to the same man since I was 22.
Would I marry again if he died? No.
Would I live with another man? I doubt it.
Would I live with a (non-romantic) room-mate? I doubt it.
Would I have a casual relationship with a man I did not live with? Maybe.
Would I stay in this house? No
Would I stay in this city? Maybe, although I am more likely to move to live somewhere near our son. Maybe part year here, part year there.

Would he marry again if I died? Maybe.
Would he live with a girlfriend? Likely.
Do I care? Not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:38 PM

477 posts, read 399,180 times
No. I was only 35ish when I hit the "nurse or a purse" stage - the only guys who expressed interest were significantly older and wanted one or the other (or both). Most men my own age were dating women in their 20's - the closer to 20, the better.

At my age - nearing 60 - they're even older and more decrepit. If they're not, they're doing better (relationship-wise) than me, LOL!

Also - at this point I have nothing to offer a partner anyway. I already know I'm on the long decline. Why would I stick someone I cared about with that?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,373,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Many older women have a tough time finding men to date.

If you want to meet men, go food shopping on weekends around 9ish. I see men trolling the aisles with their little single serve meals in their baskets every weekend eyeing the ladies.
It's like the new pickup spot for the older generation.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 PM

25,986 posts, read 33,003,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am wondering how many of you over 60 would want to marry again.

My mom was widowed at 56, and although she was very active and attractive, after about three or four dates (different men), she decided that she just did not want to spend the rest of her life "playing nursemaid to some old geezer" (her words). She is now 82 and has not regretted her decision at all.

I am 61 and have been happily married for 30 years, and if I were widowed, there is no way I would want to marry again, either. It just wouldn't be fair to any possible future spouse because after having experienced as perfect a marriage as I could possibly imagine, he would definitely come up short.

Are my mother and I unusual? Or do most of you feel the same way?
I am not yet 60, but getting there. I was married many years ago, and have been divorced for about 11 years or so. I have no desire or intention to ever marry again. I like my own space and my own alone-time too much.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I'd rather have a friend with benefits relationship, a relationship that I wouldn't call disposable, but one with mutual respect for each other's space.
Well-said, that's exactly what I'd want in lieu of marrying again.
And I'd especially respect his relationship with his children, while expecting reciprocal respect of mine.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 PM

74 posts, read 67,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
We have been married for 10+ years.
AW=American Women, It is an abbreviation popular on Men's forums.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,465,270 times
Just seems to me that most of the men I know are dominated by their wives. Not for me. I want to be myself. Most wives I know want their husbands to wear the wedding ring, THROUGH THEIR NOSE!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,402,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
NO. NoNoNoNo.

I've little doubt I'd find romance again, that's the easy part. But I have no interest trying to adjust to a new set of in-laws and step-children and step-grandchildren. Nor would I expect a new man to adjust to mine.

yes- this absolutely --

Old 04-15-2015, 09:38 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Just seems to me that most of the men I know are dominated by their wives. Not for me. I want to be myself. Most wives I know want their husbands to wear the wedding ring, THROUGH THEIR NOSE!!!!!!
Probably known as TTN's on Men's forums.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:06 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,159,916 times
Wow, lots of bitter people here. Yes, I would get married again. I'm 60, male, and have been married since i was 26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or