U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM

39,547 posts, read 47,744,756 times

Advertisements

Would you marry again?

No way, have you seen my profile picture. Who in the world would marry someone like me, if they said yes then I would be suspicious because it would be for my money not my looks or personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Would you marry again?

No way, have you seen my profile picture. Who in the world would marry someone like me, if they said yes then I would be suspicious because it would be for my money not my looks or personality.

OOOOH!!! You got money? I might reconsider!!!!

- J/K. I apologize for treating a serious subject so flippantly!

On a more interesting note: once you hit a certain age - speaking strictly for myself - looks pale in comparison to character, and humor. By "character", I mean having lived through adversity, and having dug deep and found the - err - "stuff" to get out of it. There's a certain gravity that lends a man. He's plumb fascinating.

So - don't discount the qualities OTHER than looks that got you where you are!! They are far more attractive, and far, far more durable, IMHO!!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
On a more interesting note: once you hit a certain age - speaking strictly for myself - looks pale in comparison to character, and humor. By "character", I mean having lived through adversity, and having dug deep and found the - err - "stuff" to get out of it. There's a certain gravity that lends a man. He's plumb fascinating.
For a man.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For a man.
Apologies for being dull here - I don't get what you mean?

I was speaking strictly from the perspective of a woman who doesn't need another person or his/her dough to live a contented life.

Although to be sure, I do intend to have LTC insurance in place, lol! (Knock on wood).

Old 04-21-2015, 01:51 AM

1,924 posts, read 989,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Apologies for being dull here - I don't get what you mean?

I was speaking strictly from the perspective of a woman who doesn't need another person or his/her dough to live a contented life.

Although to be sure, I do intend to have LTC insurance in place, lol! (Knock on wood).
conventional good looks, or the lack of them, generally affect a woman's chances of marriage/remarriage more than they do a man's.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:25 PM

50 posts, read 50,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
conventional good looks, or the lack of them, generally affect a woman's chances of marriage/remarriage more than they do a man's.
Does this still hold true for men and women over 50 or 60 who are dating men and women over 60? (I'm only 31 so just curious what people have to say about this... I came upon this thread by accident but found it to be a fascinating read)

Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wndy View Post
Does this still hold true for men and women over 50 or 60 who are dating men and women over 60? (I'm only 31 so just curious what people have to say about this... I came upon this thread by accident but found it to be a fascinating read)
Well, I got a theory about that. It's probably not original to me or I might have pieced it together from multiple sources. Can't remember. Whichever, I've yet to find evidence that refutes it.

I believe that people are made up of three, equal and distinct parts. Three manifestations of themselves that taken together, makes a person who they are. The parts cannot exist separately, they make up the whole of the essence of a person. These three parts, if we could use the biblical references, are 'body', 'mind', and 'soul'. Or in other terms, their physical self, their intellectual and emotional self, and their spiritual self.

From my observations and experiences, it is the body or physical being that attracts people to each other. There has to be that initial attraction or spark. As Oscar Hammerstein II so elegantly wrote:

Quote:
Some enchanted evening
You may see a stranger,
you may see a stranger
Across a crowded room
And somehow you know,
You know even then
That somewhere you'll see her
Again and again.
Once you have found her,
Never let her go.
Once you have found her,
Never let her go!
If two people are not physically attracted to each other, they probably will never meet.

Then, once they meet, and spend a little time together, the explore each other and discover each other. This is the emotional and intellectual self melting together. It is rare for a genius to hook up with a slow-witted person. Or, forgive my brashness, a hunk with a bimbo, (and have it last for any amount of time). A mismatch in intellect and emotions just won't last past that initial 'physical thrill'. "Yeah, she's good in bed, but can't hold a descent conversation." Heard that before?

Finally, after they hook up, (physical), and spend a bunch of time enjoying each other's company, (intellect and emotions), then the spiritual being cements the relationship and is the 'glue' that holds a relationship together for the duration. Two people, committed together to their God, and who are fairly close to each other in their spiritual growth will withstand the forces against them and nothing on this earth will tear them apart.

If two people are not physically attracted to each other, they probably will never meet, or if they do, will probably not progress the relationship past a friendship, be it casual or serious.

If two people are very different intellectually, the relationship will get very old pretty quickly. One, or the other, will become incredible bored because they don't share a like inquisitive mind.

If two people are different in their spiritual place in life, they will have a difficult time withstanding pressures that inevitably arise in the course of a relationship.

This all might be blowing smoke, but as said, I've yet to see it not hold true.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Well, I got a theory about that. ... As Oscar Hammerstein II so elegantly wrote:

yup... Excellent post! reps have not renewed! Thx for reminding us.
Once you have found her Never - Let - her GO!!!

They don't make them like this anymore (babes / gentlemen, or plays)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGyfw3yiMT4

BWT... we still have 4 'leading-couples' from HS musicals hitched. Guess they 'Found-it!' and And made it their OWN! (for LIFE!)

Pretty impressive! (can't imagine the magic starting at age 16 and lasting 40 - 50 yrs. That takes some work (and a lot of forgiveness!) Maybe they frequently practice this number! ---- "'Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair',

Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Would you marry again?

Your profile picture . . . oh my God.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:51 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,500,939 times
The biggest and costliest mistake I ever made in my life.

Not interested. People often change for the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or