U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 07:17 AM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times

Advertisements

soul-mate , that sounds like what satan puts in his coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 AM

1,924 posts, read 988,551 times
volosong, I agree with everything you said........ but I am going to be singing that song all day

Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
volosong, I agree with everything you said........ but I am going to be singing that song all day
Yeah the trip to Youtube ran me 2 hours of R&H
I'm stuck on 'Luv'n dat man of mine' "Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly...I've gotta luv ONE man till I die..."

Very ironic to understand 'stability' in relationships and how to STAY married. If one of us demises (likely soon). Remarriage is not in either of our plans. Just takes too long to 'train-up' a spouse, we don't have that kinda time left! Ours was nothing totally special and FULL of love / romance / relationship, but LOTS of miles of muddy waters (extended family / caregiver for parents induced). 30 yrs of shift work, and 15 yrs of homeschooling was a challenge to break us (as was building 5 homes and doing 20 remodels.)

But... I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the widowers I know who get hitched to a gold-digger within a few months / shortly after the DW funeral. Many men seem to have a weakness in singleness / desire for remarriage. My 96 yr old friend stayed single for 25 yrs, but was not happy to do so. He had 5 daughters who pampered him with the understanding he would not remarry. Girls seem to desire their dad to stay single, (As is the case on both sides of my family and inlaws.) He had MANY girlfriends, but the daughters laid down the law when he wanted to bring a GF on a family cruise. (maybe wealth / inheritance induced, but I think more so a 25 yr memorial / commitment to mom / DW #1). Tough choice for dad I am sure, he was very lonely, but stayed very active.

FIL did the Gold-digger thing to a VERY high maint new wife.
Ugh, I would NOT want to be in their shoes, TOTAL change from frugal life / wife. All the girls (daughters) are bitter. Insensitive dad thought it a great idea to marry on deceased mom BD (Valentine's Day). New wife changed dad's first name cuz she didn't like it. New Gold-digger keeps ALL her $$$ and lives off his meager savings from 60+ yrs of frugal living.

Disaster from the outside, but they have been an item / married now for 10 yrs fighting / arguing / complaining 16- 18 hrs / day. Must suit them!

Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 PM

1,924 posts, read 988,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
soul-mate , that sounds like what satan puts in his coffee.
lol I missed this

Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,137,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am wondering how many of you over 60 would want to marry again.

My mom was widowed at 56, and although she was very active and attractive, after about three or four dates (different men), she decided that she just did not want to spend the rest of her life "playing nursemaid to some old geezer" (her words). She is now 82 and has not regretted her decision at all.

I am 61 and have been happily married for 30 years, and if I were widowed, there is no way I would want to marry again, either. It just wouldn't be fair to any possible future spouse because after having experienced as perfect a marriage as I could possibly imagine, he would definitely come up short.

Are my mother and I unusual? Or do most of you feel the same way?

Yep, I'd say your odd. After watching other couples who don't seem to have what we've been given, my darlin' and I both agree that we seem to be odd too. So, count us in your circle of odd friends who are still head over heels IN LOVE.

I'd never marry again if I lost him; what for? I probably wouldn't last more than a day or two without him anyway, which would suit me just fine.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:24 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,137,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
It is impossible for anyone who is now married to say if they would marry if their spouse died.

Even if they use the phrase "no way "
No, it isn't. Some things you just know. If you've been given a soul mate once in this life, there's never going to be anyone else for you. I can't speak for others, of course, but that much I know about myself.

Mahrie.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:55 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,333,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
But... I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the widowers I know who get hitched to a gold-digger within a few months / shortly after the DW funeral.....
My bride, who has major health problems, started talking about my "next wife" the other day. I told her the day after the funeral I'm going to trade for a 15 year old rust-bucket of a compact car just to hide from gold-diggers. And stop shopping for clothes until I wore out every piece of clothing I own.

I might be up for getting a little exercise once in a while, but remarriage? Don't think so.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:43 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,775 times
Jogging eh?

Old 04-25-2015, 04:51 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times
Mathjak107: You are a very funny person. Thank you for providing some laughs today.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times
I was married 21+ years, divorced 32+ years, never remarried (he did, at least 2 more times).

Due to some very disturbing things I learned after the divorce, I could not trust men, no matter who they were. This lasted for years. Especially if he had a daughter. Made me absolutely nuts.

Lots of counseling, many years have passed. I have had lonely times and wondered if I would ever meet a "good" man and get married. I've come to the conclusion that is probably not going to happen. I have learned how to keep myself happy. I have learned how to ride out the lonely times. When I recall the misery I experienced in my marriage, I know I never want to go through that again.

All I can say is "he" would have to be one heck of a guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or