U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 09:27 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,002,635 times

Advertisements

Nope. No way, Jose'. And Hell, no!

Been married twice. Although I love my husband to death - we've been together almost 35 years - I'm not about to do it again! I think I'd rather marry a woman (and I'm not gay).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM

676 posts, read 747,129 times
Well, I never said I didn't have Alzheimers........ we married in 1970....1970 minus 2015=45 years...I was born in 1951. Thanks for the clarification. Just a little off. But NO I would not marry again. My husband is 67..OMG anyway

Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 AM

387 posts, read 459,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I remarried in my 50's to a non-AW almost 30 years my junior. With a 10 y/o son and a 2 week old son, it is one of the best decisions I ever made!

let me guess. you married a chinese/asian girl from overseas.

when im 60, i want a 20 year old bride.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:27 AM

481 posts, read 401,109 times
I don't know what non-AW means, but if it's nothing to do with race, I don't understand you. Do you mean to say that no younger American woman would consider marrying a 50+-year-old man? I know two who have, and the marriages have lasted a long time. And neither of these were of the Hollywood "he has tons of money and she's a golddigger" variety, either. The young woman was just picky about whom she would have, and the older man was a fox

To the more discerning young woman, the male playing field can look like a bunch of cheap, flashy muscle cars, with a few well-traveled, well-maintained classics that are more tasteful and can still go zero-60 in good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post

Old 04-30-2015, 10:25 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,172,907 times
Quote:
..and a cardiologist?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,592,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am wondering how many of you over 60 would want to marry again.

My mom was widowed at 56, and although she was very active and attractive, after about three or four dates (different men), she decided that she just did not want to spend the rest of her life "playing nursemaid to some old geezer" (her words). She is now 82 and has not regretted her decision at all.

I am 61 and have been happily married for 30 years, and if I were widowed, there is no way I would want to marry again, either. It just wouldn't be fair to any possible future spouse because after having experienced as perfect a marriage as I could possibly imagine, he would definitely come up short.

Are my mother and I unusual? Or do most of you feel the same way?
I'm not that age (yet!) but if I didn't know better, I would think I wrote what your mom said. If I ever get out of this marriage, I will never get married again. Not because my marriage is so great, I just feel like your mom. I crave silence, and would just love to sit down and read a book for an hour or so. For reasons I won't go into, I can't just divorce him at this time. I just think some of us shouldn't ever marry. I never should have gotten married. I would never be lonely because I like spending time with myself! I love your mom.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 PM

30,709 posts, read 33,524,935 times
I sill think no, but I'm softening on the subject. I think I needed a few years to decompress from tension of a long term marriage ending/divorce. Being single has been really good for me and while I still have stress and worry I don't have TENSION, and I never realized how much I had those last few years...

I'd LIKE to date someone who has their own place to live. It's not the relationship part that bothers me now, it's the thought of sharing my physical space with someone else and having them around all the time and having to deal with the baggage.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,261,742 times
When I first got divorced over 30 years ago, I knew a woman at work who had been divorced for over 20 years. And I thought.... wow that's a long time, I wonder why she didn't get remarried. I guess I thought getting remarried was the "thing you did". My ex got remarried right away. And then again for a 3rd time.

As time has passed and I'm single and doing my own thing, I'm starting to understand the beauty of being single. I guess my self-esteem was pretty bad for a long time because I didn't realize all of the things I could do by myself without a husband.

I'm moving to NC in late summer and I'm ecstatic about it. It's a pretty area, I love the mountains, the apartment I am looking at fits my needs, and while I do not have a lot of money, there are some things in life that are more important.

I am feeling a new sense of freedom and peace in my life, probably for the first time.

I now consider my life to be successful.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:46 PM

787 posts, read 897,042 times
Quote:

Not exactly, I married a Latina and we live in her home country. For them it is all about family and giving the Man the bigger piece of chicken!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:48 PM

2,174 posts, read 1,272,632 times
Isn't it curious that both men and women that answered here both say the same things : they would not remarry because they love the quiet, me time, and are never lonely? Companionship and the benefits are great, but the baggage and tension seems to always come with it. I love my wife dearly, but the second I get home, it's listen to my problems, family (hers, always) issues etc, etc. My ex over 20 years ago, same things, but she was just plain fat and lazy on top of it. DW now often catches herself, when she sees me glaze over. Sometimes she gets mad and gives me a few days of the silent treatment. I love it. But I'm not cruel enough to upset her all the time to get it! She used to go out with friends and have work things that kept her busy, but she told me one day she was burnt out from teaching and at 55, retired from it. When she asks if I'm retiring early, I tell her, I could have if you kept on teaching, but can't now. Where were all you women that love being indepndent and do your own thing when I was looking??? Or does getting married automatically change both spouses? DW was a lot more independent when we met on a live aboard dive boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or