U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times

Advertisements

Nope, not in a million years...

Once is enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:42 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Hah, should clarify that.
Out of the workforce, aka retirement, sorry.

We had a wee bit of a disagreement as she wanted me to work until I turned 70.
There are other reasons as well, but they all seem to add up over the years.
Some can work through them, some can't.

I will be free on 2 fronts: work and marriage.
Please interpret the following comment as a well-intended vision springing from a cartoon bubble alongside my head:

I hear the theme from "Rocky" building to a crescendo in the background.
I envision the erstwhile Saturday Night Live skits with the two Czechoslovak brothers, who congratulated themselves over and over again about being "wild and crazy guys!!"
I imagine you in a spanking new Superman T-shirt, complete with a red cape down the back.

Enjoy the upside of it! Jkliny has told us that RV'ing for a couple of years is a very frugal lifestyle. It also gets us out of the "first couple of years of retirement" high spending trap eloquently explained by Mathjak!

I plan to do the RV tour myself, since I've always hankered to see the National Parks. Plus, I want to see the parts of the country that people here have spoken about in glowing terms. Cody, WY. The Maine forests (complete with river). The Pacific Northwest. The Ozarks. Ima gonna see 'em! I might make myself a Zena, the Warrior Princess costume, even!

I'm chuckling - pls consider re-framing your circumstances into an ?adventure? ?improvement? - at least you stop the bleeding.

Best to you!

Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
First extended engagement, we had chemistry. He was fun when he was good. We had chemistry. We could go from okay to fight in sixty seconds. Then we'd get over it and be friends and he was always sooooo sorry. We're still friends, but too much dynamite together.

Second one which was marriage. He was nice and quirky like number one, who was almost the best man, his best friend. We started out okay. Then he started drifting into himself and didn't want to do anything and we got into fights, had a kid, and turned out he had secrets he'd never bothered to tell me.

He died a year or so ago, and I had a moment of sorry but not much more.

The other attempts were not successful. One I was crazy about him, but circumstances didn't work out for him. I still miss him.

Would I get married? No, not again. I've been on my own too long and have lost the compromise gene. Don't want to put up with a grumpy guy, and my four legged critters are better company.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:08 AM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Nightbird, I hear you. I hear you. I was married 3 x and all were a mistake. Found the love of my life and could do nothing about it as he was situated in Canada & I couldn't take my son away from his father. I still miss him.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
What do you mean *again*?!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 AM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,048 times
We have been married for 41 years. I might marry again, but it is doubtful. It would have to be someone that would be extremely compatible with me. If the pieces of the puzzle didn't fit exactly, I would not be inclined to try make them fit.

When I asked my wife, her answer was an emphatic "NO"!! Her first marriage lasted about one year and she figures that twice is enough.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,483,631 times
The only reason women say they wouldn't remarry is because they never met me.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:40 AM

300 posts, read 408,929 times
I just remarried.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:42 AM

71,600 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The only reason women say they wouldn't remarry is because they never met me.
if they met me they would be happy they are single ...

look up the word needy and my picture comes up ha ha ha

but in my own defense i do come with an instruction book written by my mom just to make it easy .

"THE PROPER CARE AND FEEDING OF MY SON "

Old 05-30-2015, 02:21 PM

19 posts, read 6,022 times
I was married for 25 years. As soon as we divorced 6 years ago, I decided I wanted the next part of my life to be about me. I want to do things on my own terms and don't want to answer to anyone again. I have written 2 ebooks, started a blog, drive around the state pretending to be a photographer, and have traveled by myself, the last being to La Jolla and San Diego in April. So, no, I never want to get married again. That is not to say I don't want someone to hang out with, but to marry, nooooo.

Last edited by VickieWV; 05-30-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or