U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM

8,870 posts, read 5,152,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm with you. My late wife and I had forty-two wonderful years together. To even think of marrying someone else would not only be dishonorable, but I find the idea abhorrent. We married three months after we graduated from college. She's the only woman I've ever been with; I still consider us to be married.

I know that many here will laugh and sneer at both of us, but they're the ones who have never known erstanding what love and marriage are.
Laugh and sneer? I think it is awesome that there are people out there having such wonderful marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM

8,831 posts, read 7,728,859 times
In this day and age, with people being the way they are, there is no way I'd get married again. Too risky and too messy if things go bad. IN fact, I don't know why any man wants to get married today, unless it is for religious reasons.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,764,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am wondering how many of you over 60 would want to marry again.
Are my mother and I unusual? Or do most of you feel the same way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I would be remarried today except for the fact we are not willing to pay the marriage penalty for our upcoming SS benefits. Plus I would have given up my widow's benefits if I had remarried before 60. We couldn't find any way to make marriage come out even close to financially neutral.

So we will just be room mates. I think a lot of seniors are in this position.
I believe I would if I ever found "the one"...again.

However, I don't think you or your mother are that unusual, but I do think for a huge variety of reasons both widows and widowers would not actually get 'married' again.

Living together may be a better option (for some of us) than actually getting married but that carries another set of hurdles and planning in and of itself. If it is a very committed relationship, and certainly by our age it absolutely better be, (presuming there are adult children on either or both sides) there would need to be some sort of legal documents in place to protect both parties in the event of illness (es), end of life scenarios, and estate plans.

Yes, it's nice to be happy and dreamy but there ARE serious considerations and consequences for second, third, etc., marriages at our ages. Just my view on the matter...and I have been widowed for over twelve years.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,866 posts, read 54,582,197 times
My first is in the 41st year, and I cannot imagine doing it again if I were to become single. Still, that is something that no one can really predict, if they end up meeting someone really special, or consider a more "financial comfort" marriage such as mutual survivorship benefits from two retirement plans.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 PM

5,602 posts, read 4,945,587 times
Would I marry again? Hell, NO!!!!!!!! Tried it twice and it's not for me. I love not having to negotiate and compromise or worry about someone else's moods, attitudes and problems. I wouldn't mind a male friend to do things with here and there, but I like my "alone" time and the men I've been with have never let me have it. When it comes to companionship, give me dogs any day.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 26,809,877 times
I am going to be 50 and hopefully my wife and I have many years left together here on this big rock. She tells me that she will never get married again. Her grandmother always said you get married one time. If I go first then she will live out her days hopefully with our kids visiting often.

I really do hope that we both live a long life. If she were to go first and I am still kicking I doubt I would want to get married again. Then again if the right woman came around. Maybe some 20 something? I may be enticed to change my mind. LOL (I don't ever see that happening but an old dude can dream.) (I hope you all realize I am joking around)

Old 04-14-2015, 01:07 PM

825 posts, read 566,668 times
Not 60 yet, but after going through a traumatic, unwanted divorce a few years ago, I say never to marrying again. Absolutely not. I'm not interested in ever reliving that kind of pain (infidelity, abandonment).

From now on, I'll concentrate on taking care of myself and my autistic teen.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:07 PM

950 posts, read 716,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
In this day and age, with people being the way they are, there is no way I'd get married again. Too risky and too messy if things go bad. IN fact, I don't know why any man wants to get married today, unless it is for religious reasons.

religious reasons for me.

I believe living together is wrong whether one is 20 or 70.

Despite most posts to the contrary, the women I have met felt the same.

Not a good example for the grandkids if grandpa or grandma is shacking up.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 PM

71,825 posts, read 71,919,037 times
since rmd's are based on an average of both ages I think if I was to marry again I would check the colleges out for my next wife. ha ha ha

"excuse me miss but did I tell you that you look just like my next wife "

Old 04-14-2015, 01:36 PM

43,566 posts, read 52,749,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
there was an article on the effect of marriage on life span and happiness. married men have longer life span and higher level of happiness.
single, widowed, and never married women live longer and happier than married women.
now you know why.
Oh, I definitely know why. So I married a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or